Microsoft Band after 3 months of everyday use

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi let me start by saying I love my band and take it every where I go.... Well apart from the obvious, swimming etc and have always treated it with care due to the fragile appearance (glass screen and not being water proof).
However a few weeks ago I noticed that the inside of the strap had started to bubble.....
d4641d8e121db677ec576f984dd0a472.jpg

I was disappointed but felt it wasn't the end of the world and wasn't visible while wearing it so thought no more of it until today as it now started to peal off and a ugly grey is appearing!
(sorry inline image failing to attach. See attachment)

Also not only has the pealing occurred but at a closer inspection the ugly grey plastic is coming apart from the rubber band :'(

How long were these fitness bands made to last for!?!? Has anyone had a similar issue?

Attachments

• WP_20150208_20_56_01_Rich.jpg
    WP_20150208_20_56_01_Rich.jpg
    907.5 KB · Views: 42
  • WP_20150208_21_08_30_Raw.jpg
    WP_20150208_21_08_30_Raw.jpg
    949.8 KB · Views: 42

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
How often do you clean the inside surfaces with an alcohol wipe (or something similar), and when you have it off do you ever bend it wide open really far? Those are two things I could see as contributing factors. The fact that when buying insurance they offered only 13 months and not two years said to me they expected a fair amount of wear and tear. Sorry bro. Maybe you sweat acid? :D

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm at 3 months as well. Just carefully checked out the condition of my Band, particularly inner surfaces. So far, I'm pleased to report that there is no sign of bubbling or sloughing anywhere. I am very leery of cleaning the surfaces with anything alcohol based, due to the drying nature of alcohol. Actually, I've only used a damp rag with clean water to clean it with, and then only a couple of times a week. I have also been very careful not to flex the band any more than necessary to get it on my wrist. It lives on my wrist 22/7, only off for a couple of hours in the morning for charging while I have breakfast, shower, etc. I try to work out daily, for a half hour to an hour, sometimes a bit more. I alternate days, one day doing body weight core exercises and treadmill run/walk, and the next day spinning, ( Its too darn cold here in northern Maine to do much outside stuff these days) so its seeing at least some medium to intense perspiration daily. Its too darn cold here in northern Maine to do much outside stuff these days. Not sure just what the inner surface is actually made of, but it seems more comfortable for me long-term than the softer (but wider) silicon bands found on the Surge, Basis Peak, etc. They seem to actually make my wrist sort of ache after a while.

I would imagine that there is a wide variation in perspiration chemistry across the population, so would think that is a major factor in the problems people are seeing with the inner band surfaces and galvanic sensor. But I do also feel strongly that alcohol based cleaners, or even strong detergents are probably not a great idea either. Hopefully MS are aware of the issues and will address them somehow.

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Iv only ever cleaned my band with a damp cloth and only flexed the band to get it off and on my wrist. I didn't get insurance with my band as it was an ebay special as I'm in Australia so will just have to ride it out I suppose. If it goes altogether I have a spare although its all the way in the UK with my parents if they still have it lying about.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine on since launch day, and I just noticed the bubbling the other day, but no peeling yet. Hopefully it won't get worse...

Suggs68

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I've been wearing mine since I got it on launch day. I run with it, sleep with it, wear it almost all day every day, and its still in near-perfect condition. I don't baby it either. its been bumped and dropped, but its not showing any of the wear and tear yours is showing. If I were you I'd return it for a new one, especially if you got the coverage.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I've been wearing mine since I got it on launch day. I run with it, sleep with it, wear it almost all day every day, and its still in near-perfect condition also, I clean it after every day of use with clean tap water and no signs of wear just normal scuffs from use.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine's in overall decent shape. The screen protector sucked so bad that I finally just ripped it off, so I have a some micro-scratches. I am a little worried about some separation on the inner part of the cuff, though, and I see you have the same (although more severe). It doesn't seem like this is held on by the torx screw, but it's almost as if the whole piece, screws and all, is pulling away from the band as if it was integrated into the rubber or held on my some kind of adhesive. I'd guess this has something to do with over-flexing the band, but I'm right on the edge of too-small-for-a-large and big-for-a-medium.
WP_20150210_14_15_04_Pro (Large).jpg

pil71

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Just exchanged mine on warranty. The HR sensory fell off due to repeated bending of the wrist. They told me that my 13 months Complete Microsoft warranty will stay intact.

b52hbuff

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My thread "Paint Blister" was mentioned in this thread. I forgot to update status, so I'll do it here...

I took my Band to the local MS Store and they exchanged it. The manager asked if I had used lotion. (I hadn't).

Anyway my new Band is showing a similar wear pattern. The right side battery bump has started to wrinkle. Left side is ok for now.

The local weather in SF Bay area is getting warmer and I'm going on longer and more frequent hikes. I just finished my third 5mi hike this week. I'm suspecting that the Band isn't reacting well to my sweat. I've not used any lotion or sunscreen.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my Band.

There is bubbling and it has started to peel. Also, what the heck is going on with the charging plate pitting?? It's getting bad and sometimes prevents the charger from positioning itself correctly and charging.

Attachments

• WP_20150228_11_58_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150228_11_58_22_Pro.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • WP_20150228_12_00_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150228_12_00_33_Pro.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

AndyD33

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed mine peeled overnight and has started bubbling on the opposite side. Going to exchange it in the next week when I get the chance.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Also, what the heck is going on with the charging plate pitting?? It's getting bad and sometimes prevents the charger from positioning itself correctly and charging.

I have this too. I assumed it was due to sweat causing some sort of oxidisation of the metal of the plate, but how they didn't notice this during testing or why it happens with that particular metal I don't know. I cleaned mine with a baby wipe and it improved the connection with the charger (didn't remove the bubbling but cleaned up some of the related mess).

Alroy Swain

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Mines starting too peel too and it will switch itself off intermittently, 5 months old. I bought it in LA while on holiday, living in Sydney so no hope of returning it :/ Although, a Sydney MS Store is opening next week, might try and get store credit towards Band 2. Wish me luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster