Seems that MS isn't the only one with sensor problems: Sensor issues forced health features to be cut from Apple Watch.

Oh, and about the battery life: Is the Apple Watch's battery going to be a huge let down? "it is claimed that the device can only display the clock face for 3 hours per day"

The Band may be a comparatively a better product then we realized.

If this is all true, we might see a surge (no pun intended) of interest in the Band come April.
    gadgetrants and Likwidz like this.
    02-17-2015 10:48 PM
    Regardless, the iDrones will buy it just because it has fruit on the backside.
    someone2639 and zei20t like this.
    02-17-2015 10:55 PM
    ​But, unlike Band, it looks like a watch rather than a charity rubber band.

​They'll sell a bucket load, whatever the actual quality/features.
    02-17-2015 11:01 PM

Nobody has ever confused my Microsoft Band with a charity rubber band. They normally think it's a fitbit at first.
    portalfocus likes this.
    02-17-2015 11:18 PM
    This thread will quickly become Apple fanboys vs Apple haters kind of discussion.

Historically, so called "reports" from any media source have proven to be quite wrong and off the mark - both good and bad reports.

Those who are interested in Apple Watch will buy one and those that are not won't. My sense is that there are very few sitting on the fence, so to speak, trying to decide AW or Surge or Moto or whathaveyou.

There should be something very soon from Apple so all the guessing can stop.
    gadgetrants and portalfocus like this.
    02-18-2015 10:14 AM

Well since people will probably be able to buy it outside of the US unlike the band I dont see why not.
    02-18-2015 11:43 AM
    I'm not sure if it'll be a big seller or not.... That thing is expensive. I know iPhones are, too, but there was no other product like the iPhone when it dbuted.
    02-18-2015 01:32 PM
    This thread will quickly become Apple fanboys vs Apple haters kind of discussion.
    Interesting observation. On my favorite Android forums I notice members briefly disparage the world of Apple and then everyone moves on. It feels like the more time is spent comparing apples and oranges, the more Apple fairies get their wings. I would have predicted there'd be barely a mention of it on a Windows forum.

Either way, I am very curious to see if there's any truth to the sensor rumor. Guess we'll know soon enough!

-Matt
    02-18-2015 01:34 PM
    Either way, I am very curious to see if there's any truth to the sensor rumor. Guess we'll know soon enough!

-Matt
    It seems that, so the rumor goes, there is a bit of an issue getting consistent reading for galvanic sensor for stress level. The value changes with things like how tightly worn, amount of hair on the arm/wrist, perspiration and so on.

If true, it may help explain why MS is so delinquent in delivering additional updates for the Band sensors. Gotta figure that these Bands in the wild are sending ALL sensor readings to MS and they are trying to correlate them into a useful information. Unfortunately, they have no other info than our ages, gender, height and weight based on the profile, much less if we sweat a lot or if have more body hair or less body hair on our arms. Also, racial difference may make some variability. In other words, there are too many unknown for them to get a software put tougher that produce meaningful result that do more good than bad.

So I'm guessing, if the report is true, that Apple Watch will have the same capability (as currently implemented) as Band, essentially with few tweaks Apple style. This is a far cry from being able to read glucose level, blood pressure, stress level and so on that many have rationalized over the past several months, since the intro last fall.
    Likwidz likes this.
    02-18-2015 03:01 PM
    Lol
    portalfocus likes this.
    02-18-2015 03:10 PM
    "Why do I need sensors? I have all sorts of old fashioned methods to check my health. For example, if I'm coughing, I'm probably sick. Also never believe stuff on the internet."
    -Abraham Lincoln
    02-18-2015 03:18 PM
    Apple has to save something so people will buy the Apple Watch 2 next year for an outrageous sum of money.
    02-18-2015 05:17 PM
    Whatever it ends up I bet it's updated more often than the band is. Why don't they fire the Windows Vista team and get some 10 year olds to work on this watch.
    02-18-2015 05:44 PM

I prefer a band to a smartwatch. I have a few nice watches that is like to wear. With the band, I can wear it on my off hand and still wear my nice watches without it looking weird. Wearing two full-fledged watches would just look silly.
    02-18-2015 06:04 PM
    I'm not sure if it'll be a big seller or not.... That thing is expensive. I know iPhones are, too, but there was no other product like the iPhone when it dbuted.
    I'm not sure I follow this one. There are iPhones available at all the big price points - free, $100, $200, etc. I know they can get up toward the price of an iPad for their 6+ with the largest storage space, so maybe that is what you meant? There have been windows phones available up to the $200-$250 price point as well.

I think there will be a niche crowd for every model they offer. A Rolex is expensive as well but people still buy them. Since there will be multiple price points for the apple watch I see it selling well. I don't think $350 will be unreasonable when compared to what android wear has offered. I think the biggest thing here will be Apple's loyal fan base. "IDrones" or whatever (NEVER heard that one before :-/) it will still sell. I don't think I would consider any of their products in the past several years to be a flop despite what so many are predicting as usual.

Personally even as a WP user I would like to see the watch succeed. The successful competition will force others to try harder.
    Last edited by Y2HBK; 02-20-2015 at 03:00 AM.
    gadgetrants likes this.
    02-20-2015 02:50 AM
    You can't get an iPhone for $0.
    Maybe subsidised with a contract, but not for $0.
    02-20-2015 03:07 AM
    Personally even as a WP user I would like to see the watch succeed. The successful competition will force others to try harder.
    This.

As an iPhone user, I always hope other platforms do well (well, maybe not Blackberry... lol...). Competition is good. Even though I own and love the Band, I am SUPER curious to see how well the Apple Watch does, and what makes it different from the others. As others said, some will just buy it because it has the "fruit" on it, but I'' be sure to read all over to see how others like it.
    02-20-2015 12:38 PM