Band SDK Preview

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So took a look at the Band SDK Preview documentation. Seems interesting, but looks like it's meant more for sending notifications to the band and pulling information from the band rather than actually developing apps for the band.

Now this is only a preview SDK, and I haven't played with the SDK, only read through the documentation (which may or may not be even remotely complete for all that the SDK can do).

One thing that was kind of interesting is that you can pull the acceleration and gyroscope information from the band for your app, so maybe could use it for controlling games both on the phone and the PC. This would probably hurt the battery life of the band a lot, but with the quick recharge wouldn't be too big of an issue for PC.

Another possible app idea (or app enhancement for those that already have navigation) would be to provide navigation directions for walkers by basically vibrating when they need to turn, missed a turn, reached their destination, etc... and showing detailed instructions for that vibration on the band itself.

Hopefully they add in the ability to manipulate the GPS on the band from your phone (currently not listed as one of the sensors), but if they did that you could have an app installed on your phone that would let you find your band should you misplace it. Unfortunately I don't think it could work the other way around the way they seem to be interacting with the band, but maybe Microsoft could do that.

Finally, I hope they make a universal app tile that any app can interact with if it wants to because the band only supports 13 tiles and that's just not quite enough if every app wants to send notifications to the band... however if there was a universal one that all apps could use that would solve the problem there (I know there's the notification one, but it does appear there is some interaction that can occur between the phone app and the tile on the band).

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
One thing that the SDK seems to be missing, the one thing I actually wanted from the SDK, is allowing the 'action button' on the Band to perform actions in the Windows Phone app. I'm building an app at the moment that has 3 activities that can be started and stopped and I was hoping to add a tile to the Band that allowed me to start and stop these. From what I've seen so far that's not possible. Maybe in a future version of the SDK.

TwoClipz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
One thing that the SDK seems to be missing, the one thing I actually wanted from the SDK, is allowing the 'action button' on the Band to perform actions in the Windows Phone app. I'm building an app at the moment that has 3 activities that can be started and stopped and I was hoping to add a tile to the Band that allowed me to start and stop these. From what I've seen so far that's not possible. Maybe in a future version of the SDK.

I was hoping for the same thing... or more to the point hoping that Cortana could launch apps.

andrew.b

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I want a 3rd party app to allow pairing a bluetooth chest strap HRM. Sounds like the SDK as it stands may not allow for anything that advanced though.

pil71

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
i agree. Better HR sensor connection either with the band or at least ability to import TCX file into Health App will be great.

majorfriend

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I noticed this too. I was hoping to be able to send commands from the Band as well.

Oh, well. I'm a brand new developer and just learning to write apps for Windows Phone, so at least this will give me time to learn that and then hopefully when an SDK comes out that allows sending commands from the Band to phone I will be able to build the app I want.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon