Protector comparison

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thought people might want to see this... with my Microsoft Band I received the Microsoft supplied "ZAGG Screen Protector for Microsoft Band".

This lasted from last October at release until 2/27 and looked like this eventually (>3 months later):

original.jpg

On that date I installed an "ArmorSuit MilitaryShield" which I installed. Here it is before it dried (it's a wet application and the residue vanishes and it goes clear afterwards)

after_application.jpg

And here it is today, only 3 weeks later.

armor_2_weeks.jpg

(Sorry for crappy 635 photos, my 920 died!)

From my perspective, the ZAGG appears the better protector. I've requested a ArmorSuit warranty replacement under the "Lifetime Free Replace" and will try a second stint (apparently they're going to charge shipping so it's hardly free.)

Will see how long the next application lasts when/if I get that.

The Band itself is holding up ok though.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh, here was the wet application kit and protector before install.

Was my first wet install kit and I did find it odd but pretty easy.

pre-install.jpg

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I've tried the Zagg, and the Armorsuit, and agree that although I was reluctant to admit it, the Zagg lasts longer before loosening on those curved edges. PITA to install though, especially if you have shaky hands!

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I got the ZAGG protector when I got the Band. After reading how the edges peel, I cut mine down to only protect the screen, up until it curves. I don't care if the edges scratch, and after 2 months the edges are slightly peeling, but that's probably because I've been wearing long sleeves every day cause it's been so damn cold up here in the Northeast.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Guess I will have to return the Armorsuit one I just received yesterday... Haven't opened it yet

If you do use it, I'd probably cut it shorter as it just seemed a bit long both ways to me. Of course then it won't cover all the plastic quite, but because the way the plastic nicely rolls off at the ends it is hard for these protectors to stick on. ZAGG was a little shorter which may be what helped it last a much longer. Or get a ZAGG :)

Brian Farkas

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I've tried both and here's what in think.the zagg SUCKS to put on and is incredibly hard to get right. If you are lucky to get it on, it will last a few months and then be garbage. With the armor suit, it applies super easy and forgiving. Seems to last about a month, but then you can peel, wash and reapply, good as new! Plus if it goes real bad you have the lifetime warranty.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So I bought and installed the Skinomi shield yesterday. Exactly what I was looking for, covers all the glass and goes on easy. Seems to be on tight too, don't foresee it coming loose/falling off anytime soon... but if it does, it came with 9 more ;D

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I attempted to install the ZAGG I picked up when I bought my band at Best Buy. Needless to say it was a catastrophe lol. I decided to make the 30 mile trek to the Microsoft Store to see what protectors they recommended, and they ended up giving me another ZAGG for free and they installed it for me. They did a much better job than I did lol. They did say that because the display ridge is recessed, it does make the protector installation tricky. I watched how they did it and I feel comfortable with installing the next one. Now that it's on properly I'm quite happy with it.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I too received a ZAGG when I bought my band, it's worked well, but the corners are starting. For those of you that have replaced the shield, once you had the old one off, did you clean the glass before putting the new one on? Any suggestions for cleaning?

ritojr

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I just bought one of the cheapies ones from ebay, xtremeguard I think. 6 for like $3. So far first one has been on for 3 weeks with no issues, one corner barely starting to peel up but I wear long sleeves everyday and sleep with it on. For how cheap they are, I am fine replacing every 4-6 weeks.

UWbadgers16

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I attempted to install the ZAGG I picked up when I bought my band at Best Buy. Needless to say it was a catastrophe lol.

If you're having trouble with the Zagg (and potentially other protectors) I started a thread here (http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band/348946-screen-protector-application-tip.html) on doing a wet application with a dry Zagg that worked exceedingly well. It would probably work with other screen protectors as well, but I won't guarantee anything.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Just checking back in, a month and a half later and the edges of my first skinomi shields are starting to peel up slightly. Still on and protecting, but corners are turning white with fuzzies lol

TwoClipz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd screen protector from my local Microsoft store. All previous ones have bubbled or peeled away.
However, since this latest protector (that I've had for over a month and a half), I haven't had any issues or bubbling like the others and still looks perfectly fine.

I don't have the data to back it up, but I think the key is... I don't sleep with my band on anymore... I take it off at night and there hasn't been any peeling of edges. Personally, I think that the screen protector last longer if I don't wear it at night.
I use keyboard all day.. basically a normal office job; button up shirt, sleeves down.. typing all day........ but its still holding up great

if this post doesn't makes sense... blame it on cinco de mayo :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium