Why did you get the MS Band over other trackers?

MIM49

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
Just wondering what other trackers you considered before getting the MS Band? What was the most important feature for you? I have already decided against Fitbit Surge or Charge HR. Their discussion pages are just too full of negative comments. I am still considering the Mio Fuse or Basis Peak though. Knowing the reason for your choice might help me with my decision. Thanks.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm like the previous poster, it was very compatible with my Lumia 1020. With that said, it also does much of what I wanted a smart watch/fitness tracker to do. The only negative to me was that I couldn't wear it to track my swimming which is my primary form of exercise. However, I am enjoying the other features of the watch like being able to monitor my sleep and being able to glance at my wrist to see what texts and emails have come in. The GPS tracker is nice as well, and if you're a runner, would be a fantastic feature. Of course, other trackers also have that feature. It just seems to be able to do many things. If they ever come out with a water proof model, I wouldn't hesitate to swap it, but for now, enjoying my latest gadget.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
On my favorite laptop forum (notebookreview.com) they have a special thread called "What Notebook Should I Buy?" Posters on that thread first fill out a quick questionnaire listing the features that they are looking for, and the members help with feedback. So...if you don't mind, tell us a little more about yourself and your fitness/lifestyle goals, and we can provide more tailored feedback!

In the meantime, reasons I chose the Band:

- extremely impressed by the MS/iPhone/Android coverage
- extremely impressed by the array of sensors (HR, acceleromoter/gyrometer, GPS, etc.) and functionality
- optimistic about integration into Microsoft's Health ecosystem
- curious to see how well sleep-tracking worked

For me, all the smart-phone'ish features were nice extras, e.g., notifications for text, emails, calls, etc. I would have gotten the Band without those, but they're still great.

My elevator speech for the Band goes something like, "It's an exceptional health device if you remember that it's early technology and a first-gen effort!" Well worth the $200 IMHO.

-Matt

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Considered (and owned) several, including Samsung Gear Fit, Garmin VivoSmart, Fitbit Surge, Basis Peak, and the Band. I've stayed with the Band because it has the richest feature set, and performs reasonably well (sometimes very well) with all its features. Some of the others performed quite well in some areas, but not that good in others.

I also own (and still use) the Mio Fuse, which is the most responsive and accurate for HR, but is not as well rounded for 24/7 use as the Band, so I use it strictly for HR during exercise, paired with either Endomondo or IpBike apps. Quite honestly though, in most (but not all cases) the differences between the two in HR and calories burned are usually quite negligible. When it comes to calories burned, who knows anyway? There are wide variations in the algorythyms used in all these devices and apps. The main reason I stick with the Fuse is that with IpBike it allows me to use my speed/cadence cycling sensors (and power meter if I had one), and foot pod for walking/running. Microsoft's Health App still could use some work, but it beats the pants off Mio's own native app.

Basis Peak is quite good also, but very proprietary in that is doesn't really allow you to share or sync your data with any other apps. It also insists on sensing your workouts on its own, and starting/stopping them when it feels like it, and decides on its own what activity you're doing. Allows absolutely no input or editing from you at all.That and the fact that I eventually developed pretty bad skin irritation from its band forced me to give it up.

So anyway, for me, it isn't a case of any one most important feature that keeps me with the Band. Its that all the features work reasonably well, and (so far......knock wood) it hasn't caused any inflammation. Not to say I'm married to it, I'm evaluating a Garmin Fenix 3 right now, but the Band is pretty darned good, at least for me. Keep in mind that there is a huge variation in what works best for different individuals when it comes to these devices, since there are so many variables.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I just liked the feature set when it came out. I liked the idea of tracking my fitness, but didn't like the idea of buying something that couldn't do notifications. Likewise, I liked some of the functions of the Pebble, but wanted something that did more in the health department. I wanted one device that could do both. It seemed premature to jump before that happened.

Then one day I opened up ZDNet for my daily read, and low and behold, there was a new device that could do both - at a reasonable price. And it worked with Android.

A quick look around showed no one else seem to have the combo. Nothing coming at an attractive price. So, in a rare show of decisiveness, instead of my usual analysis paralysis, I pounced. Just a few miles from a MS Store, 30 day return. Why not?

Black3ternity

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the Band because I'm waiting for the delivery from the UK (15th - 17th of April), but I preordered mine.

A little bit about me:
I'm just starting with fitness and health, so I'm looking for ways to improve my workouts, my duration and other aspects when working out.
One of my problems lies in my heartrate because I can hardly keep it at normal pace when I'm on the crosstrainer. But to know if I'm properly okay or if I'm at the total limit before falling off the machine, it would be nice to know what my HR says. Caloric burn is pretty interesting because right now I use an iPod Nano 6th gen with the Nike+ App in order to track my "steps" and have a rough estimate (more a trend) of how I'm progressing and if I'm gaining something. I want more information about that and not only on the crosstrainer.
Additionally, I want to improve my sleep so I need to have an overview of everything. A colleague owns a Jawbone and an iPhone and is happy. I as a Lumia 1020 user can't use that and because I want the Heartrate aspect, I need to pay nearly 200€ for a fitness tracker alone. A "smart watch" or should I call it "glance information device" is a good bonus, but the Samsung devices are standalone for Android so that's no option.
The privce of the Band of around 220€ (including VAT and shipping) are really "cheap" compared to a standalone fitness tracker.
On top of it, it's from Microsoft, which I like and all the sensors and the future of the technology is pretty interesting. So it was an instant buy for me :)

Regards,

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I bought the band for 2 reasons. A. as others have said the full compatibility with WP, and B. it offers features I am very interested in that I will list below. I previously used (and still own) a Samsung Gear Fit. It was OK, but I did not like that it was tied only to the Samsung ecosystem and at that, SHealth only had full features with their latest hardware.

The features that tilted me towards the band were:
24hr heart rate
Sleep monitoring
Integration with HealthVault
The additional sensors (UV, skin etc) paired with the SDK should allow some interesting new features to existing and hopefully new apps.
Oh yeah, and the phone integration is pretty nice too. The Gear Fit was really more of a smart watch than fitness band IMO and was almost annoying with notifications and phone calls. The Band buzzes once and is done. I like that. It lets me know something's up without getting in my face about it.

Overall very pleased and looking forward to what the future brings to this device.

P.S. If you are fortunate enough to live a reasonable distance from a Microsoft store I highly recommend going there and having them demo the band to you. It's like Candyland for Windows, and the employees are all very well trained on the Band and just about every other piece of hardware in that store. It's like going to a foreign country (or an Ikea lol!)

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
There are few must haves for any given fitness wearable device in my mind. These are not discriminators but compulsory items:
- link to mobile phone and an app that provides information
- heart rate monitor without external strap or yet another device
- cannot be ugly (doesn't have to be attractive or desirable - just not fugly)
- cost/benefit must be within "my" value proposition range

So, after those, then we can start to decide which features or capabilities, including comfort and utility.

I find smart watches too ugly for the most part and tracking fitness with them is bit like doing your grocery shopping with a motor home. It can be done but not very well. We'll see how well Apple Watch does in fitness area but it fails one of my basic criteria - its ugly. This is saying a lot for me as our family has iPhones, iPads, Macs, AppleTV and Airport (wifi router) - all Apple.

I definitely wanted screen so that eliminated Jawbone Up3 and others that indicate status via LED blinks. Then the choices became rather slim. At the time, Band was the only real choice. Charge HR had not been released and InBody Band was not disclosed, much less released. Samsung and Sony devices were't ugly but did have (still does) have integration issues or do not connect to iPhone.

Band was not ugly, but bit bulky and uncomfortable. I traded off waiting for Charge HR or get the Band then. Added sensors/future capability promise was a plus. Still waiting for those features like body temp, stress and dehydration levels and so on - someday soon I hope...

In the end, my wife took the decision out of my hand by simply just buying the Band for Christmas. She definitely did not want Band and is still without a tracker. She wanted plum color ChargeHR but it has pushed out to June now so she is re-evalutating other options (still not Band - its too ugly for her and bulky).

I have come to like Band and when something better comes along that fits my criteria, I'll move on to it. My Band lifespan expectation is 12~18 months so by then there will be others that are better. Who knows maybe Apple Watch 2 by then....

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I would not discount the ChargeHR solely because of forum complaints. People go on forums to complain, and half the complainers are folks with recalled Force bands who've been waiting a long time. It's a solid device. (I had one.) ALL of the fitness bands on the market have issues and quirks of one kind or another.

I can't speak to the other options because as a WP user it was MS Band or FitBit, but in general FitBit has much more robust fitness and diet oriented software. Their software is mature and integrates with lots of other software. Band has better hardware... and, I hope, their software will catch up. Band also has much better smartwatch abilities.

Question is, what features are important to you?

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
1. I have sleep problems, which are really critical for me to manage to have good quality of life and to function well at work and home. So I was looking for a tracker with good sleep monitoring. It has exceeded my expectations on this front.

2. I wanted something that would integrate well with my windows phone and and esp. with Cortana. It has worked really well for this and I esp. love the haptic reminders and notifications.

3. I wanted something that would make it really easy to record and monitor exercise for simple things like walking a few miles or biking 20 min to work. Being able to press a button on my wrist is great for this sort of thing.

4. The large number of sensors was very appealing.

5. I feel that the Band marries smartwatch with tracker better than other options at a price that is reasonable.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
We'll see how well Apple Watch does in fitness area but it fails one of my basic criteria - its ugly. This is saying a lot for me as our family has iPhones, iPads, Macs, AppleTV and Airport (wifi router) - all Apple.

Seriously. It looks like something I'd find in my mom's jewelry drawer - possibly as something she got from her mother. (And I'm middle aged) It seems to lack the style of a Seiko or Rolex. It seems a little too retro - and not in a complementary way.

dbregman

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I tried the band against several other fitness trackers -polar loop, basis, surge (see my other posts for head to head comparisons). So far I am sticking with the Band. It has the best overall feature set.
I think with all current fitness devices you need to take accuracy with a grain of salt. The key is the tending over time as you use the device and get used to the readings.

Christopher Senn1

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
still not getting the band.
I had the moto 360 which had tons of software and app support.

But id rather have something that is more durable and rugged and amazing battery life

Most of these sensors are just useful for beginner fitness enthusiast who need motivation. I have been going to the gym for 18 years and the only thing a smart watch is useful for is changing music tracks so I dont have to keep pulling out my phone. And the MS band cant even do that it seems. The rest of the sensors are pointless.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
My previous wearable was a Samsung Gear 2 (when I owned a Note 3). It only works with a Samsung Phone, same as the iWatch will only work with an iPhone. What use is that? I'm now a 930 and Surface Pro 3 owner.

IMO any company should release a device that is usable on any platform. Microsoft have done this. Mine is on pre order (I'm in UK). I'm aware of it's flaws, but having weighed up the pros/cons the cross platform sealed the deal for me.

Hurry up 15th April!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro