Lumia 830 Bluetooth won't stay connected

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Anybody else having problems with maintaining a Bluetooth connection? My Lumia 830 (haven't tried my Nexus 5 or iPhone 6 yet) won't maintain a consistent connection--it drops randomly, and I'll need to go into the phone and reconnect to the Band. Works fine when it's connected, but...

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I actually just bought a Band on Sunday and paired it to my 830. I was having connection issues as well, where the pairing would repeatedly light up and disappear in the Bluetooth menu. Bear in mind, my 830 is paired to my home Wi-Fi, work Wi-Fi, Subaru BRZ Bluetooth system, Fitbit Flex, Nokia DT-903 (the new charging plate), and now my Band. Not sure if the giant list had anything to do with it, but I went ahead and removed the Flex and the DT-903 because I thought them "competing" for a connection might be a reason. Turns out, everything has been more or less okay since then. I only had one instance today where my Band keyboard got stuck on "Connecting when trying to compose a text reply. A restart fixed that.

In short, is your 830 connected to other Bluetooth devices nearby? My experience may at least be something to keep in mind. Good luck!

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I've had the connect/disconnect issue as well, while trying to pair/connect in Bluetooth settings. That's resolved by rebooting the phone.

This is more of a periodic disconnect issue where I'll check the Band and it's not connected to the Lumia. Waking the Lumia up often restores it--it's as if the Lumia sometimes (but not all the time) disconnects when it goes to sleep. That makes receiving notifications problematic, of course.

I have two other devices paired with my Lumia, a Bluetooth speaker and my car's handsfree kit. It doesn't matter if either is connected or not (and in fact if might remain connected more consistently when I'm playing music on the speaker, perhaps the music playing keeps Bluetooth alive).

Maccabeus

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Not quite like yours. My L830 has a spotty connection to my car's audio system. It will drop in and out for a few notes every 2-5 songs. The connection is never fully lost to where I have to reset or restart anything. It just makes listening to music annoying because of the interruptions. My wife's iPhone, however, never misses a beat when it is connected to the same system.

wynand32

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the Lumia's BT is wonky in general, I think. I'll be connecting the Band to my iPhone 6 soon and will be able to assess if it's the Band or the Lumia.

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
There's a known issue (on the forums at least) of the 830s radio drivers. They are crap and phone needs an update (at least on ATT)

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
There's a known issue (on the forums at least) of the 830s radio drivers. They are crap and phone needs an update (at least on ATT)

Thank you for sharing this information. I've seen several threads about it on the Windows Phone support page now. I'm hoping this will be something they fix, as this is the only thing slightly dampening my Band experience.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. I've gone through 2 830's now and they both randomly disconnect after a day or two.

They really need to get this fixed. Only thing that fixes it is a reboot.

JGtz

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. Had the band paired with my Lumia 920 for 4 months without issue. "Upgraded" to the 830 two weeks ago and paired my band to it, I've been having BT issues with the band ever since. Hopefully At&t releases full denim for the 830 soon.

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Nothing yet, slysy. I'm hoping the delay in AT&T's update is partially because they are getting this sorted out. I love everything about my 830 except this issue.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
FYI I am not using AT&T. I have a UK sim free 830 running full Denim. I've only had the band for a few days, so am still monitoring the issue at the moment.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that the bluetooth disconnects during calls and reconnects after. As a test, I tried calling another number of mine a few times using the 830 (while connected to band). I waited for the bluetooth icon to dissapear on the phone and then hung up. Then I waited for it to reappear and tried again. It seems to fail to reconnect every 5-10 times or so (but can be done manually in settings > bluetooth)

Edit - I deregistered my band and then did a factory reset, set it all up again and retested. I can't reproduce the problem any more. Fingers crossed that this fixes the issue

Last edited:

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Is the band supposed to always be actively on the BT (so the BT logo shows up at the top and the band is shown on the BT button in the action center)? Mine only comes on when I tell it to sync with an app. I'm on Win 10 so I know that causes issues, but I am curious what the expected behavior is (since I've never used the band with 8.1).

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
..., but I'd think it would need to remain connected in order to display notifications.
Agreed, for any alerts, I think they need to be connected all the time. I've had sporatic problems with my 830 and band staying linked, there are times I have to go into the BT settings on the 830, disable the BT, re-enable it, and then things are fine. I've also had problems when I tried connecting my 830 to the BT in my car, it would no longer connect to the band. I finally had to disable the connection to the car to maintain the connection while driving. And why would I need the connection while driving? Why, for the Starbucks app at the drive-through. :) Actually I don't need it, but after leaving the car, it would take forever to link back up to the band, just too big of a hassle.

I've got the 8.1 "denim" from ATT, but my understanding is the 830 denim isn't the full denim. No word from ATT about any possible upgrades, my guess is they are done as far as the 830 goes, and are waiting for the next generation of Lumia phones.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the connection should be constant.

One of the biggest pita is trying to voice a reminder only to find out it's not connected.

Koert van Kleef

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem the first day. It seemed to have been caused by me renaming the band. After removing it from known devices on the lumia 830 and rebooting the phone and band, and then pairing them again the issue has not occurred.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)