Inner rubber "pads" peeling off?

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having this problem? There are two "rubber pads" on the interior of the band held on via teeny tiny screws. One of them on my band seems to be coming off and the screw no longer holding it tightly in place.

Would this be covered under Microsoft Care for a replacement?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Mine is doing the same. Not sure if it is covered under Microsoft Care though. It doesn't seem to affect the function, just the cosmetics; and even then it is part of the device that is hard to see while it is being worn.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
a few threads with images:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-your-band-holding-up-thread.html#post3007406

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-after-3-months-everyday-use.html#post2994172

this thread discusses some possible reasons.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band/347376-disintegrating-rubber.html#post3039634

PS: I had no problems getting my Band replaced after it showed some bumps and pitting from corrosion on the metal parts. If I had the peeling on mine I'd try to get it exchanged again and I don't think you will have a problem, but ymmv as always.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
a few threads with images:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-your-band-holding-up-thread.html#post3007406

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...-after-3-months-everyday-use.html#post2994172

this thread discusses some possible reasons.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band/347376-disintegrating-rubber.html#post3039634

PS: I had no problems getting my Band replaced after it showed some bumps and pitting from corrosion on the metal parts. If I had the peeling on mine I'd try to get it exchanged again and I don't think you will have a problem, but ymmv as always.

If you read the entirety of those threads, you will notice that people who have talked to support have been told that loss of the interior rubber is not justification for warranty replacement.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I didn't want to waste my breath telling them they never be leave you till they call and are told no replacement for loss of rubber that is normal ware and tare :crying:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If you read the entirety of those threads, you will notice that people who have talked to support have been told that loss of the interior rubber is not justification for warranty replacement.
Ok, I can find maybe one person who had this experience (bksalt above). Can you point me to others? On the other hand I've seen several posts were people had no problems getting their Band exchanged. I make the effort and post the links. Here is at least one of them. Let's not blow a single person's experience out of proportion.....

Last edited:

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Last time I talked to customer service and a Microsoft tech I mentioned the rubber missing and was told they are not replacing for rubber missing it is normal ware and tare. May be the replaced to many and decided there was to big a problem and chalking up0 to normal ware.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
How old are these bands? In the UK laws exists that basically say products should be of a reasonable quality (not the exact wording). I suspect the MS band is designed to last longer than a few months? SO regardless of any manufacturers warranty period, the device should function for a reasonable length of time, etc.

A fridge is a classic example. Many come with 1 year warranty. Clearly, they should last longer than a year....

Consumer laws often favour consumers now. Don't be easily put off by stores/companies throw away "it's not covered" comments.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
The Bands are working fine the rubber coming off the inside of the band has no affect on its functionality, if it caused it not to perform within the years time they would replace it

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
A 200-dollar or 170-pound watch cannot, at least in my opinion, have a wrist band that peels off in less than six months from the purchase. It is NOT normal wear and tear. For me it's a faulty product. If it cost 50 dollars and wasn't supposed to be used in sports activities, I would perhaps understand.

I suspect, as I said earlier, Msft to face a problem in the UK in September-October, once the April sold Bands hit five to six months, by which time the rubber peels off.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A 200-dollar or 170-pound watch cannot, at least in my opinion, have a wrist band that peels off in less than six months from the purchase. It is NOT normal wear and tear. For me it's a faulty product. If it cost 50 dollars and wasn't supposed to be used in sports activities, I would perhaps understand.

I suspect, as I said earlier, Msft to face a problem in the UK in September-October, once the April sold Bands hit five to six months, by which time the rubber peels off.

Glad I returned mine. A $200 watch should not scratch so easily .. could scratch the face with my trimmed fingernails :X ..
Moreover, the heart rate was not accurate and continuous as described in their advertising.

Decided to stick with my Polar system, and I realized that I really could live without the band ;)

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem TWICE they exchanged them both. I didn't even have the extended warranty for the band they didn't ask for anything. But I think the main reason for it is sweating...

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Was this thing tested before release? The corrosion and screwed down rubber covers falling apart over a short time are huge design flaws.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, probably not. The Microsoft Band wasn't really suppose to explode like it did, so I doubt there was much testing. Though I bet they'll love to hear about the feedback.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Last time I talked to customer service and a Microsoft tech I mentioned the rubber missing and was told they are not replacing for rubber missing it is normal ware and tare. May be the replaced to many and decided there was to big a problem and chalking up0 to normal ware.

I just had mine replaced, screen protector and all. The MSFT Store Rep mentioned that there was an email about the problem. They didn't even blink, just said sure, no problem. The hardest part (for them at least) was to transfer the warranty to my new Band.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I just had mine replaced, screen protector and all. The MSFT Store Rep mentioned that there was an email about the problem. They didn't even blink, just said sure, no problem. The hardest part (for them at least) was to transfer the warranty to my new Band.
Interesting. I just finished a chat session with the MSFT service rep, was informed that the rubber covering the battery(s) is purely cosmetic, and that MSFT won't replace / repair it under the standard 1-year warranty. Did you purchase an additional protection plan?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs