Dumped Fitbit for Band.

Matthew Blair

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I have completely abandoned Fitbit for Band. It has taken them inexcusably far too long to fix the auto sync problems with no sign if it even getting completely fixed.

Their loss is MS's gain.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I did the same thing but my reasons was that I got tired of losing them. That button hole catch on the fitbit is a joke.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I made the same switch. My Fitbit was fine, but limited. After about a year, it died. I did get tired of it not being sync'd up on time of day whenever I let the power run out. The band has been a fantastic change.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I have completely abandoned Fitbit for Band. It has taken them inexcusably far too long to fix the auto sync problems with no sign if it even getting completely fixed.

Their loss is MS's gain.
No sync issues with my Surge. All works just fine. That said, I'd dump it for Band if they were available in Australia.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
How has the experience been after the switch? I have a Fitbit flex that is fast approaching the two year mark and was thinking of the charge HR or MS Band. Biggest complaints have been about battery life or comfort any problems?

A.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I do the challenges with friends and family on Fitbit so will miss that, but hopefully the Microsoft Band app with sync with Fitbit in the future. If you guys could do it all over again would you wait for a 2.0 device or just roll with the current one?

A.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
TIf you guys could do it all over again would you wait for a 2.0 device or just roll with the current one?
Really good question. I was thinking exactly this myself today, as it's around my 6-month anniversary of Band ownership.

Here is my own personal answer -- I'm sure others will take a very different tact:

For things like the Band, I typically hope for 2 years of ownership before adopting the next gen. For example, I have a book shelf that I call my "cemetery of cell phones" where there's a neat stack of phones I've owned over the last 7-8 years. Used to have a similar pile of MP3 players too! Any time I move into a new device niche like the Band, there's that initial rush of adrenaline...and then I look at the cemetery and realize...someday I'll have a stack of those too.

So for me there's not much illusion or self-deception going on (e.g.,that "it's the best thing ever" or that "the next one will truly complete me"). I'm not overly attached to the Band because it's clear that it's just a matter of time before it's replaced. What's important is that it works great today and has been a huge boon to my lifestyle. If it lasts another 18 months I'll be extremely happy.

Bottom line: I would definitely do it over again exactly the same way, realizing that this is all new technology and imperfect in the first few generations. I assume the next iteration will be thinner, sexier, and immediately make we want to give the original Band to one of my kids so I can buy the new one! Hopefully I'll keep that impulse under control and hold off until a year has passed. After that...well...Band #1 will inevitably end up in its own pile. :wink:

​-Matt

Last edited:

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I use the watch mode, but I find it easy to top it off while I shower for example. I have seen it go from 5% to 60% in a very short time. The last 20-30% takes longer. I also have a Nokia portable battery charger. I have taken it off my wrist in the train and 15 minutes later find it charged enough to finish the day and go through the night.

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I took a similar path. Though for me I started out without any fitness tracker. I've used pedometers and even a FitBit Ultra years ago. Since then I've become more of a runner so counting steps isn't a concern, but GPS tracking and finding out my pace is. And I do a lot of other strength training so having a heart rate monitor is excellent.

So I tried out the FitBit Charge HR and the Microsoft Band side-by-side. I returned the Charge HR and kept the Band. I found the calorie burn data from the band to be more realistic. What the FitBit App and Charge HR were telling me seemed way too inflated. I also love receive the notifications on the Band when I'm running or doing whatever. Just having the vibration when I get a text while I'm out and about makes sure I don't miss it. I know this is exclusive to Windows Phone right now but it is a huge plus for my day-to-day life to me.

I will say I believe the FitBit app is better on the phone. The MS Health App does provide a lot of info but the main view is ugly and does very little. Also it would be nice if it showed the summary data from MyFitnessPal like the FitBit app does. I also would like to see some more of the social features and badges or achievements that FitBit does. These are just nice things that make it more play than simply data / work.

The biggest con the MS Band has is comfort, it is not only bulky but heavier than other devices. Not that it is a weight but I am not a watch wearer and I can certainly feel the weight while I wear it. Also this weight causes other issues when I'm doing certain exercises or stretches while the Charge HR is very light. The Band is comfortable enough to sleep with it on and after a week it doesn't bother me like it was originally throughout the day.

On the note of battery life. I go for a few walks throughout the day, maybe a run, and I do one 30 min to an hour workout outside of those. The battery does not last a full 24 hours with that kind of use. I usually charge it for a little while I'm in the shower and then at night while I'm sitting down relaxing. And I hope they resolve the 80% charge issue at some point. (The Band charges to 80%, I have to turn it off and put it back on the charger for it to say 100% so it is hard to know when it is actually full)

Therealeinn

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I know the Band charges quickly to 80% and then trickles power in until 100% (charge to 80% should take about 15 minutes from starting at 10 to 20% and then a further 45 minutes to an hour to go from 80 to 100%), but that's odd that you have to turn off your Band for it to register the 100%, Tyresian. Have you tried just disconnecting the power cord from the Band and reconnecting it to see if that works or will it only show 100% after you turn the Band off?

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Therealeinn, I have tried that. The way that I came to the method I'm using I actually saw here on the boards before I purchased the band. And the thing is, it SEEMS to be fully charged, it will say 80% but I unplug it, turn it off, then plug it back in and it says 100%. Note that unplugging it is important for some reason even though I'm turning it off, otherwise it will just say 80%. So in this case it isn't even charging anymore, just displaying differently. But otherwise I could leave it sit there all day and it will say 80%.

Madame_X

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I seem to be in the minority who wants to dump the Band for the Fitbit. My husband has the Charge HR and I think it would be a better fit for me. For one, I play roller derby and I can't wear the Band while I'm playing because (a) it's difficult to wear higher up on my forearm because of its shape (and it won't fit under my wrist guards), and (b) I'm afraid I'll shatter the screen. Other annoyances with the Band: If I'm in a location with a poor cell signal and I don't have access to wifi, I have to remember to put the Band in airplane mode to keep from draining the battery on both it and my phone because every time it syncs, it uploads to the cloud. It seems to me that the Band should be able to sync with your phone a few times and upload the data later. I'm on my second Band (the first was warranty-replaced due to a defective HR sensor) and have cleaned this one every single day with a cotton ball moistened with alcohol, yet I still have discoloration and corrosion on the sensors that others have experienced. I can't imagine how bad it would be if I didn't clean it daily.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
"Bottom line: I would definitely do it over again exactly the same way, realizing that this is all new technology and imperfect in the first few generations. I assume the next iteration will be thinner, sexier, and immediately make we want to give the original Band to one of my kids so I can buy the new one! Hopefully I'll keep that impulse under control and hold off until a year has passed. After that...well...Band #1 will inevitably end up in its own pile."

Great answer and feedback! I appreciate it and I employ the "bump down" program with my own kids so good solution.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett