Has anyone else experienced wrist discomfort from wearing the Band religously?

DigitalDK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I've owned the Band for about two months now and have worn it every day and night on my left wrist, screen side down. Before you start asking if I was wearing it too tight I assure you I was not. I got it fitted at the Microsoft Store and wore it loose enough to slide up and down my wrist several inches. However I think that wearing it during sleep and my daily activities has started to cause carpal tunnel like symptoms in my wrist. The biggest culprit is probably sleep. The way I sleep almost always causes my wrist to face down and with the design of the band it presses directly on the spot where carpal tunnel usually affects.

I didn't assume I would have to switch wrists as I've never had this issue with other fitness trackers, however I never really took the Bands thickness and rigidity into consideration. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced the same issue as me.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
It's been remarkably neutral for me, which is sort of surprising. I had problems with both the Fitbit Surge and Basis Peak causing either an achy wrist (Surge) or skin irritation (Peak). Coming up on 6 months with the Band now, and still good. Actually, I take that back. Did experience some very slight discomfort a while back with the Band. Ironically, it was when I tried wearing it a bit looser, and it would slide down enough to ride up against the wrist bone. Tightened it back up a smidge and that seemed to cure it. I mention that because you said something about wearing it somewhat loose. You might try wearing it a bit tighter, and it sure wouldn't hurt anything to switch wrists for a while and see what happens.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Been wearing the band since Nov have never had an issue with my wrist always very comfortable cant figure out why people have issues with wearing the band

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've owned the Band for about two months now and have worn it every day and night on my left wrist, screen side down. Before you start asking if I was wearing it too tight I assure you I was not. I got it fitted at the Microsoft Store and wore it loose enough to slide up and down my wrist several inches. However I think that wearing it during sleep and my daily activities has started to cause carpal tunnel like symptoms in my wrist. The biggest culprit is probably sleep. The way I sleep almost always causes my wrist to face down and with the design of the band it presses directly on the spot where carpal tunnel usually affects.

I didn't assume I would have to switch wrists as I've never had this issue with other fitness trackers, however I never really took the Bands thickness and rigidity into consideration. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced the same issue as me.

Wearing a Band will not "cause" carpal tunnel syndrome but it can make you aware of a problem you already have. Taking it off is also not resolving the problem. Rather it is just making you unaware of a medical concern in the present tense that is best addressed early (before it requires more invasive treatment). It is no different on that level than choosing to not read as a solution to having poor vision - the problem really is still there and your vision really isn't magically 20:20. If you think you may have an issue with carpal tunnel syndrome (or some related condition) seek medical attention. Again, it doesn't matter what anyone else's experience is on this front. You should not gauge a need for medical attention on the basis of anecdotes tossed around in a forum....

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I ordered on the first day available and had it shipped to Japan. The large size. I had what I would call an allergic reaction to the metal around the charging connector. Since then, I have gotten the medium band and it seems a slightly better build. No reaction to it so far, so maybe a change to the metal. I do think the better fit helps as well

Last edited:

DigitalDK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never had an issue with my wrist. No pain, no discomfort experienced in my 26 years until now. My wrist is feeling better now that I've not been wearing the band on that wrist.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Band since January 4th, and I wear it constantly, except for first thing in the morning... I take it off to charge while in the shower and other morning stuff. I'm surprise how quick I got used to wearing it. I used to wear a watch, but haven't in over 15 years. The only time it aggravates me is when wearing long sleeves, the sleeves get caught sometimes. But hopefully the last of the cold weather is slipping away and I won't have to worry about sleeves for a while...

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
No discomfort here. The only thing I'm experiencing is the tan line it leaves... Starting to alternate wrist now when I go for jogs/walks outdoors.

HanTing Lee

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I think the sides of wrist were hurt because the sides of band are hard enough to fit. And in my 3rd day wearing Microsoft Band, it sometimes made my wrist and almost arm sore. Then I took it off and took a break, and it has been fine now(No this kind of problem shows up in 4th and 5th day).

I ordered on the first day available and had it shipped to Japan. The large size. I had what I would call an allergic reaction to the metal around the charging connector. Since then, I have gotten the medium band and it seems a slightly better build. No reaction to it so far, so maybe a change to the metal. I do think the better fit helps as well

Yes, besides the hard sides of Bands, the metals seem like make me uncomfortable as well...

Last edited:

HanTing Lee

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site

Yes, besides the sides of Band, the metals seem make me uncomfortable as well if Band is slipped tightly again...

jandee

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I have small wrist and do feel discomfort wearing the Band. I ordered mine on Oct 30th and only take it off for showers and swimming. It has caused me to change my typing behavior (right wrist elevated more than the left) and I constantly flip it back and forth on my wrist. I like to sleep with the screen facing outside as I find that is more comfortable for me. I wear it snug during the day and can sit fit my pinky finger in the gap around the screens. I wear it looser at night.

Finally, I wake every morning with hair stuck in the clasp.

8lakb8

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I have been experiencing some wrist pain. I've had the band since November. It may be the way you sleep and the weight distribution on your hands. I did get wrist pain with ulnar deviation after sleeping with the band.

Chinese_Junkie

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hey I'm actually having that issue right now. I thought the band was defective so i exchanged it. Three bands later and I'm having the same issue. My wrist aches where the heart rate monitor is. I switch writs constantly. Now I'm only wearing it when I have a workout to do but that's not why I bought this band. I bought it to wear it religiously like a watch. So it could count my steps and track my sleep. I cant do that cause it makes my wrist feel like my bones has holes in it! I'm returning it tomorrow which is sad cause i really like the band and the app. You're not alone!

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Yes! I wear my Basis Peak regularly for about a year now, and I've had several issues. First was peeling skin where the band is. I started resting my arm for a few days before wearing it again. I tried switching arms, but it drove me crazy on the other arm. Only recently did I notice wrist pain... Kind of feels like a pulled muscle, but it's only sore around my wrist. I notice it gets worse when I bend my wrist at certain angles. I again have decided to not wear it for a few days, but like others, am disappointed because I bought it hoping for continual and consistent data. Wish I knew a better solution, but I'm hoping the days without my Peak are enough time to heal whatever is wrong with my wrist.

Kitty Woofington

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Yes! Thanks so much for posting here. I've been suffering with carpal tunnel since December. Never thought about my Fitbit Alta as a problem until today. Am going to stop wearing it on my wrist to see if it alleviates the problem.

acong88

Feb 9, 2018
Visit site
I think I have a theory on this. It’s the Bluetooth. I have a Garmin which I was wearing continuously 24x7 and I developed this wrist pain now diagnosed as de Quervain tenosynovitis on my left hand. Bluetooth was on to sync with my iPhone. I reckon it’s the Bluetooth which emits low level microwave which is heating up the tendons. I am still in braces trying to recover from it. I have turned Bluetooth off now on my watch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999