What's the single most frustrating thing about the Microsoft Band for you?

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Having to set an alarm every night... would be nice if I could enable it for Mon-Fri.

Also, if it can't detect when to go into sleep mode, allow me to set a "should be in bed by now" time and start sleep mode....

after reading this, I don't know why they cant work out when youre sleeping. my fitbit charge does it with no input to the device.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not sure where you are, but I just walked out of the store in Honolulu with one.
I'm in Australia.
And worse than that, I'm in the west. Which isn't particularly known for it's tech.
Hey-ho. My choice.
I'd rather live here and not have Band, than in any of the places where I can get a Band at retail. Except Honolulu maybe. Always fancied that.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm in Australia.
And worse than that, I'm in the west. Which isn't particularly known for it's tech.
Hey-ho. My choice.
I'd rather live here and not have Band, than in any of the places where I can get a Band at retail. Except Honolulu maybe. Always fancied that.

Im from Australia too, holidaying here.

id live in Hawaii, but id need to be loaded, cant work here, and somehow need money.

if you want one I can get one for you and post it when I get back home.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
if you want one I can get one for you and post it when I get back home.
That's a very kind offer, thanking you.
But I'm waiting a little while to see which way I go with various tech items.
If I go for a Band, it'll be a 2nd gen (if there is to be one), or one incorporating the MS Band tech but from another manufacturer (again, if there is one).
And the leather-backed LG G4 (rumoured for announcement at end of month) looks like a nice new daily driver. Purely based on having something nice to hold in my hand. Only thing is, I really, really, really dislike Android. But with no MS love in either hardware flagship or local Band availability, we'll see what happens. I'm quite adept these days at total ecosystem migration so that doesn't phase me - have always found that attempting to mix/match/use/sync MS/Google/Apple services with each other never quite works - all in, or nothing :)

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
hahah I completely understand. I dislike apple, not happy with the 1000s of android interfaces. prefer the simple, yet informative, MS interface.

and youre welcome for the offer.

its a big change coming from the fitbit charge ive been using for 6 months. feels almost cumbersome compared to. ill get used to it I guess!

smatofu

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
!! No day time (for example, 12:15pm) while running or exercising. !!!

I am embarrassed when walking with wife or friends with the Band in Running mode, and I cannot say what time it is!!! They laugh at me and my gadget.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I would say connection drops and lack of scratch resistance to be at the top, along with a horrible design that should've been curved.

If they can fix these things, the next version or one like it would be stellar. I love that I don't have to replace my watch.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
My biggest frustration is the wasted potential. I feel like with some more work, it could have been a major force in the wearables category. As it is now, it's an interesting but ultimately flawed niche device. (But the next version will be awesome blah blah blah...)

truthsforme

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
after reading this, I don't know why they cant work out when youre sleeping. my fitbit charge does it with no input to the device.

Without you telling it it's bed time, it wouldn't be to tell you how long it takes for you to go to sleep. How would it do that automatically?

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Without you telling it it's bed time, it wouldn't be to tell you how long it takes for you to go to sleep. How would it do that automatically?
Fitbit manage it. I'm sure there are people way smarter than me who could explain it in more details, but I reckon with a decent data set of observed average time to nod off, other referrable metrics and readings returned from the wearer's device, you could get it pretty accurate.

Last edited:

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Fitbit manage it. I'm sure there are people way smarter than me who could explain it in more details, but I reckon with a decent data set of observed average time to nod off, other referrable metrics and readings returned from the wearer's device, you could get it pretty accurate.

my fitbit took a few nights to work out when im falling asleep and my general habits, but its pretty damn spot on.

if I forget to put the band into 'sleep' mode. I lose a nights info, if I forget to turn it off when I wake up. again, its incorrect information

it may just be one of those things ill need to get into the habit of doing.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
About the only thing I dislike is the thickness.

I guess I let concept designs hype me up for this mythical device that would be as non-intrusive as my Nike FuelBand or even a little thinner. I wanted this:
Microsoft-Sport-Smartwatch-Concept-Too-Good-to-Be-True-458233-7.jpg

...and honestly, what we got was very similar, but with such an incredible amount of thickness that I'd actually have to take it off while typing (or adjust my whole KBM setup so that my wrist isn't resting on the table as it should be). I never had a problem with the accuracy, or it's ability to communicate with my phone, and the battery life is better than the Moto 360, LG G Watch, Apple Watch and pretty much all "smart" competitors that have a touch screen and an app ecosystem.. just the thickness. The screen didn't follow any of the modern rounding that any of the other band-style smart devices have, and the adjustable attachment mechanism doubles clumsily over itself like fat rolls. Maybe Gen 2 will manage to pack all of what makes the Microsoft Band great into something less intrusive.

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
The price.
Really? For what you get I think the price is pretty good.

I have a standard Garmin running watch and that cost me ?110 and all that can do is track my runs and I have to manually upload them to my computer or the web to analyse them. For ?60 more I have a device that does way, way more than that, in fact I think it's pretty astounding what this device can do for the price.

Asthetics is the only thing I think that lets this device down, it's no stunner, but it does everything it should and it does it well. If Microsoft do another version I'm hopeful this will be addressed.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
!! No day time (for example, 12:15pm) while running or exercising. !!!

I am embarrassed when walking with wife or friends with the Band in Running mode, and I cannot say what time it is!!! They laugh at me and my gadget.

You can enable "watch mode" in the settings. It will show you the time in a low power diplay mode when the screen is toggled off. This works even if you are tracking a run or workout.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea