Sensible to use band as normal smart watch (non-fitness)?

wps81

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have WP, and I want to buy Band as companion. Is it sensible to have it if I am not fitness user? I want to use it as a normal watch, a WP notification receiver and maybe other functionality in future.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I bought and use mine strictly as an assistant. I dont use it to track exercise at all. I love not having to take my phone out of my pocket every time I get a text. I use Cortana to reply which is seamless. I do also use it to track my sleep however it needs to get better at identifying restful vs light sleep. All in all I'm very happy with my purchase.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought and use mine strictly as an assistant. I dont use it to track exercise at all. I love not having to take my phone out of my pocket every time I get a text. I use Cortana to reply which is seamless. I do also use it to track my sleep however it needs to get better at identifying restful vs light sleep. All in all I'm very happy with my purchase.

I want to use mine as a fitness tracker and do so on occasion, but most of my activities involve water (like the ocean), so most times it is a companion. Like Mark, I really LOVE the fact that I can check email, text and get calendar reminders without having to take my phone out of my pocket. That alone is worth the $199 price tag for me. The fitness part is just bonus. Oh, the sleep tracker is really cool too.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it makes sense, and those functions work very well. Don't let anyone tell you that the Band was intended to be a fitness tracker. It does the smartwatch thing as well as it does the fitness tracking.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It does the smart watch thing very well, as long as you're aware of what it does and what it's current limitations are. It is completely possible to strip out the fitness features off the band if you want and leave it with just the smart watch functionality.
The smart watch apps built in are:
  • Messaging
  • Mail
  • Cortana
  • Calls
  • Calendar
  • Alarms & Time
  • Weather
  • Finance
  • UV
  • Starbucks
  • Facebook
  • Facebook Messanger
  • Twitter
  • Notification Center

The limitations are that the watch is very much about giving you information rather than receiving information. The only apps I'm aware of that receive information are Cortana (by holding down the action button) and Messaging (allows keyboard for responses and quick responses). Other apps may use/start using the keyboard, but I am unaware of those.

It is a very nice accessory for a Windows Phone and would be worth the purchase just for the smart watch features. I wouldn't expect it to do everything the Apple Watch does as it was created and marketed as a fitness band with smart watch features as opposed to a smart watch with fitness features... it is a slight distinction, but one that can be noticeable.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree that it is sensible. I purchased mine as a fitness tracker and had to send it in for warranty because of a faulty HR monitor. In the meantime, I purchased a Lumia 830 with free Fitbit Flex. I've been wearing that to track some of my activities while waiting for my replacement Band. After receiving the replacement unit, I am reminded how convenient it is to have the text and email alerts on my wrist, especially when at home and I set my phone down in another room.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
As of right now, I don't believe apps can "run" on the band, and they may never... The SDK is just for sending notifications to the band and syncing fitness info from the band to the phone.

We'll have to wait and see if a future SDK opened it up for more, but there are no guarantees.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
As of right now, I don't believe apps can "run" on the band, and they may never... The SDK is just for sending notifications to the band and syncing fitness info from the band to the phone.

We'll have to wait and see if a future SDK opened it up for more, but there are no guarantees.
This appears to be correct. All apps actually run on the phone. The Band just kicks them off and receives data. There are more apps appearing every day for the Band. My current favorite is Band Camera Control which allows you to take a picture with the Band using a voice command through Cortana. Also check out Band Sensor Monitor. Well worth $1.50.

atrsh

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think it's alright to use it solely as a watch. It might feel a bit weird due to its shape where if you wear the face facing above your wrist,you'll have to read the watch in a slightly awkward position but it's fine if the watch is facing down. Also on the lowest brightness setting,it is still readable under the sun light. The only disadvantage is that it is not fully waterproof (maybe just splashproof) like most normal watches so keep that it mind.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it's alright to use it solely as a watch. It might feel a bit weird due to its shape where if you wear the face facing above your wrist,you'll have to read the watch in a slightly awkward position but it's fine if the watch is facing down. Also on the lowest brightness setting,it is still readable under the sun light. The only disadvantage is that it is not fully waterproof (maybe just splashproof) like most normal watches so keep that it mind.

Since when did most normal watches become waterproof? That, BTW, was a rhetorical question. The answer is most normal watches are not waterproof - even in 2015 that is a designation for a specific class of devices. Most are no more or less water resistant than a Band and many are probably less resistant in actual use.

atrsh

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
yeah I should have worded it differently.water resistant sounds better.I assume the Band is more susceptible to water because of its batteries located inside the strap and has somewhat flexible casing. But it still has an IP67 rating BTW only that Microsoft highly recommend to avoid the water as much as possible Because warranty..

TwoClipz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I use mine primarily as a smart watch... only because I'm lazier then I'd like to admit. But it does most everything I'd want from a smart watch.

parksy78

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll turn it off and just use it socially! On another point. Just gone to turn sleep tracking on and the display nearly burned my eyes out even though its set to auto brightness. A quick check and no matter what level its set at its very bright. Any ideas? Ive used pimp my band on it to change wallpaper?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit