Treadmill accuracy

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You might have something but how about the calibration of the treadmill you used? Did you test the same on a second treadmill and get similar results? Can't rule out a faulty Band.

cicero goncalves

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have done a lot of running with my band, indoors and outdoors, GPS on and off, and I noticed that it is very accurate if I keep my pace between 7:30-8:00 m/M. Every time I go faster than 7:30 I notice significant loss of accuracy. I also notice that the loss of accuracy was related to my arm movement. I was running faster but my arm movement wasn't but if I exaggerated my arm movement I could improve accuracy slightly.

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine that it would need to know your stride length when running better. As the distance is not being measured by gps on a treadmill it is working out entirely by steps x stride (whereas the treadmill knows exactly how far its belt is going). Believe your stride measurement is improved by running outside with GPS on.

gyhor

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Ans remember that you Are running different on treadmills than outside.
Your step length is different. So for sure there will be a difference

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I can't comment on running indoors without GPS as I haven't tried that yet. As for the question about inaccurate steps/distance correlating with inaccurate calories burned, I was assuming the calorie count was more related to the heart rate. My first band had a faulty HR monitor that measured anywhere between 10 to 40 beats to high while I was at rest. I finally sent it in for a warranty replacement when I was notified at 3:30 in the afternoon that I had reached by calorie goal for the day on a day of inactivity sitting at my work desk. The replacement has an accurate HR monitor, and my calorie count seems reasonable depending on my level of activity.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Treadmill accuracy has been spot on since Dec. I'm on the TM every morning and watch it constantly It will vary a few points up or down but on the whole has preformed splendidly since I received it.

Bert:smile:

lpc30000

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, so your band measures less miles than the treadmill. I was going to post the same thing but my band measures more than the treadmill. I've tried a couple of treadmills and the results are pretty close. I usually do a 4 mile run which is about 16 laps. Every 3.5 laps which should be about 0.875 miles, the band would measure it as 1 mile. I called the technical support yesterday and the rep asked me to factory reset the band and see how it goes. I ran on the treadmill again last night and the result is still pretty much the same. I will call them again and see

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I have not run on a treadmill, but yesterday was the first time I tried doing a run indoors without GPS. I ran on a track in a small gymnasium that is 16 laps for 1 mile. I ran 4 laps before and after my workout and the Band tracked at 0.25 miles before and 0.23 miles after. Without further testing, I'm attributing the variance to staying close to the inside of the track on my post-workout run..

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Jonny your experience reminds me of a post I made, back in November I think...long story short, if you do a few outdoor runs with GPS on, the Band will calibrate your stride and speed/pace based on the data provided by the GPS sensor. Here's an early article on the topic:

You need to calibrate your Microsoft Band: Here's how

Here's the catch (aligning with Cicero's post above): it seems the calibration process locks in to whatever particular speed you run outside using GPS, so if you vary your speed indoor on the treadmill, it's not able to extrapolate accurately far beyond the calibrated run speed. If you teach it how to run at 7.5mph, it won't estimate 5mph or 10mph well.

Personally, I was pretty amazed that speed estimation worked indoor at all. Sure, I was disappointed that if I sped up to a sprint it didn't keep up with me, but with GPS turned off it's pretty tough to estimate your speed without a foot pod. I guess I'd call it a "feature," not a bug.

By the way, regardless of what the neowin article says, my hunch is that the Band does not use GPS to calibrate normal walking stride length or steps. I'm 99.9% sure it simply uses the pattern of motion in the accelerometer and gryoscope to count steps, and as far as I can tell, it's generally pretty accurate. Otherwise, I think "GPS calibration" is generally for when you engage the Run mode but GPS is turned off.

-Matt

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3