The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-07-2015 08:22 AM
30 12
tools
    All this watch and band stuff, IMO, is a fad that will be here today and gone tomorrow. I haven't worn a watch in 15 years and have no plans to do so anytime soon. Guess Im old school.
    I'm with you on the idea of a "smart watch" that tries to be a do-everything cellphone on your wrist with games and maps and photo albums, etc. Where I do see value is in wearables that focus on specific functions that a wearable does better than a cell phone. I bought the band pretty much exclusively for GPS to track my bike rides. I can leave the phone at home or take it, doesn't matter. The sleep tracking is also interesting and the notifications have proven more useful than I expected.
    gadgetrants likes this.
    05-06-2015 02:59 PM
    I'm with you on the idea of a "smart watch" that tries to be a do-everything cellphone on your wrist with games and maps and photo albums, etc. Where I do see value is in wearables that focus on specific functions that a wearable does better than a cell phone. I bought the band pretty much exclusively for GPS to track my bike rides. I can leave the phone at home or take it, doesn't matter. The sleep tracking is also interesting and the notifications have proven more useful than I expected.
    Same page here, a wearable would need to have a pretty big screen in order for me to find photo's and using maps of any use. At which point a Lumia 435 and a bit of gaffer tape would be far more useful, and probably not much more awkward to wear, than the current sizes of "super watches".
    05-07-2015 06:11 AM
    I also own a Samsung Gear Fit, its only big lack is GPS.
    Except from it, the screen, comfort, on board software etc. are better than band IMHO (paid 89€ vs 199$ of band).

Of course the ms health data anlysis in dashboard is awesome.
    05-07-2015 07:47 AM
    No, no, no, no, no.... not another 'should I buy now'... If you like it, buy it. You could go on the 'I'll wait for the next model' journey forever.

Do you have a mobile phone? How come? If you kept waiting, you would never have bought one.
    The eternal struggle. I've held out on buying a Surface Pro 3, Band and Lumia Icon.

I now own the Icon and honestly feel content. Wish I had bought sooner.

Still hoping the Pro 4 comes out soon but could have used a tablet/laptop a while back. :(

OP, if you don't have anything yet, and you like the band, buy it. As for me, I'm using my fitbit flex for now as my fiancee and I are saving for the wedding and she let me buy the Icon haha, but otherwise I'd have the band after the Icon and all of its amazing recording capabilities eluded me due to holding out... Missed a few good concerts that I would have liked to capture.

I'm sleep deprived so if rambling, disregard ;)
    Last edited by wpn00b; 05-08-2015 at 11:51 AM.
    Jcmg62 likes this.
    05-07-2015 08:10 AM
    The eternal sstruggle. I've held out on buying a Surface Pro 3, Band and Lumia Icon.

I now own the Icon and honestly feel content. Wish I had bought sooner.

Still hoping the Pro 4 comes out soon but could have used a tablet/labtop a while back. :(

OP, if you don't have anything yet, and you like the band, buy it. As for me, I'm using my fitbit flex for now as my fiancee and I are saving for the wedding and she let me buy the Icon haha, but otherwise I'd have the band after the Icon and all of its amazing recording capabilities eluded me due to holding out... Missed a few good concerts that I would have liked to capture.

I'm sleep deprived so if rambling, disregard ;)
    All very true words.

The reality of the technological world we live in is that something slightly bigger, better and faster is already in development even as you open your wallet and purchase the current piece of kit.

Whether its a phone, watch, fitness band, laptop, car, toaster or vacuum cleaner the rule is still the same....it's going to be eclipsed within a few months, maybe a year at most.

If we little people could get just half a glance at what's going on in Microsoft's labs right now we'd probably see a surface pro 5, hololens version 2 and at least half a dozen new wearable concepts built around the Band. Anyone of these could hit the market in the next 12 months....or they could all be killed off as crap ideas

But who cares!! Buy what you like, love what you buy and keep coming to this site to see what's around the corner :)
    wpn00b likes this.
    05-07-2015 08:22 AM
30 12