Charging "pad" on back of band melts away after extensive use..anyone else have this problem?

BWilson80

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Charging "pad" on back of band melts away after extensive use..anyone else have this problem?

I've had my band since day 1 of their release (as has my wife) and I wear it CONSTANTLY (unless showering or washing the car or dealing with water heavily in some other way). Over time, I've noticed that the silver plate where the charging area is has bubbled up in multiple areas, and now I can rarely even get it to charge (when I do get it to charge, its a 30 minute battle). The little bumps on the silver "plate" that were there originally have completely "melted" from use (there is an actual indention where they used to be), and a large number of new "bumps" have appeared over time (I believe these are high enough to cause my charging problems/loose connection on the charging plate).
Has anyone else had this problem?

It seems the band wasn't able to keep up with my day to day activities physically, and one of the covers on the side of the band has also become wrinkled and such, merely from sweat. My band has never gotten very wet at all (other than some light sprays from time to time that immediately would be dried off). All damage to my band seems to be from sweat alone!

shinsenai

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
re: Charging "pad" on back of band melts away after extensive use..anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I'm having the same issues. I've been wearing the Band continuously for a few months now. So far I managed to stop the appearance of bubbles on the charging plate by cleaning it with a soft tissue before charging the Band. However the internal covers of the batteries on the side started indeed to melt and peel away. I had to glue them in place.

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
re: Charging "pad" on back of band melts away after extensive use..anyone else have this problem?

Ditto. Owned the Band from day one. Replaced in February because it was very difficult to charge and the batteries on the side were peeling from the Band's strap. Also had the infamous "bumps". FWIW, my Band was well maintained (Cleaning, etc.) Two months later, the replacement Band is exhibiting the same issues.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Charging "pad" on back of band melts away after extensive use..anyone else have this problem?

It has to be pH of sweat :) Yall have acid sweat? hehe /crosses fingers mine doesn't get.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Charging "pad" on back of band melts away after extensive use..anyone else have this problem?

I don't sweat. That's why I went into computers instead of construction. :smile:

Bryon Burns

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

This is why cleaning your band is important. The band isn't breathable. Sweat does form under the lil pocket the galvanometric sensor makes for the charge contacts. Sweat pH can get very acidic if left to collect. I loosen the band when I feel it get a lil tacky on the skin, and I swab my band every couple days with isopropyl alcohol to clean any dried deposits that may accumulate. I've had the band since a month after release and it's still in perfect condition, despite rigorous exercises and wearing in my sleep. I like to owe that to cleaning it regularly. Also, the bubbling, is that appearing on the 7 copper data/charging contacts located inside the galvo sensor as well? Copper oxidizes fairly quickly with sweat, so make sure those are cleaned regularly.

BWilson80

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Mine's been cleaned pretty much daily. The bubble effect is warrantable though; I just sent it back and will be getting a replacement.
The covers on the side of the band are designed to peel away a little bit, that won't get a replacement, however if the covers peel away completely, or if the screws no longer actually attach the covers, then the warranty will replace it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss