New Band - Strava upload. MS Band v Garmin with heart strap

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Went for a quick ride with my new Band. Thought some of you might be interested to see how the data compares between a Garmin using a heart rate strap and the MS Band. The Garmin seems to read a little higher on HR and is clearly more granular, but the data is pretty consistent between the two.

Here you go

MS Band
0AysyZv.jpg

Garmin 510
RaQndFt.jpg

Last edited:

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
One other point. MS estimate calories very high, like Garmin does. Garmin connect and MS health show 1200-1300 calories for this ride. Strava calculates it around 600-700. I believe Strava is more accurate for cycling calories burned.

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Agree about the calories. Even a fast paced cycle would be hard pushed to exceed 800cals per hour.

I have compared the Band with my Polar Bike computer and full chest strap and GPS and they are near identical. I just don't like the fact that GPS gives worse average speeds as stopping time is badly calculated.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it doesn't auto pause for stopped time, but I think Strava will give you a moving average once its uploaded.

The other thing to mention, if you're considering buying a Garmin or Band, the Garmin is much better for live data while you're riding. You can configure multiple screens to show you current speed, time, HR, cadence, elevation, etc.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, it doesn't auto pause for stopped time, but I think Strava will give you a moving average once its uploaded.

The other thing to mention, if you're considering buying a Garmin or Band, the Garmin is much better for live data while you're riding. You can configure multiple screens to show you current speed, time, HR, cadence, elevation, etc.

Very true. I tend to use both though (Fenix 3 and the Band) in activities, using the Band mostly to keep track of elapsed time while using the Garmin's screens to watch pace, HR, cadence, etc. Then I like to compare the results later.......which are often quite well in line with each other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon