Microsoft Band App Anti Theft Band Alarm

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I hope this is the right section of the forum, if not please move it, I do not want to break any rule.

I just wanted to let you know that I have developed a new app that supports Microsoft Band, if anyone is interested.

The app alerts you with haptics if some one moves your phone. The full description is on the store, just look for "Anti Theft Band Alarm" in the store if you'd like to have more info!

The bad reviews on the US store are caused by a microsoft band SDK bug and have been workarounded by me in the latest update of the app and will be solved by MS in the next SDK too. I have some decent reviews in UK and ITA.

I hope someone is interested: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...nd-alarm/5c8b629f-3da4-4027-aedc-413010266c5b

Have a nice day!

Last edited:

David Goldwasser

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Could you have it work based on proximity vs. movement. How many people lose phone because it falls out of their pocket. There is already the blue-tooth connection. Could you trigger something if whenever the bluetooth connection is lost.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
can you provide a more detailed description of how the app works? I read the in-store description but I wasn't sure about its mechanism

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Could you have it work based on proximity vs. movement. How many people lose phone because it falls out of their pocket. There is already the blue-tooth connection. Could you trigger something if whenever the bluetooth connection is lost.

I was assuming "if some one moves your phone" meant moving it out of bluetooth range, but now I'm not so sure based on the phrasing in the description. My phone is moving quite often, whether carrying it in my pocket or in an armband while running, so movement itself doesn't seem like a good trigger.

If it is actually using moving out of bluetooth range, I would hope there would be an easy way to disable the alarm. I often set my phone on the charger when I get home, so when I walk into another room, I am out of bluetooth range. I also know that with the GPS built into the Band, many people take the option of going on runs or biking without carrying the phone with them. I'm sure they wouldn't want an alarm going off when they first leave bluetooth range.

This seems like an interesting concept, but the execution seems to be a bit tricky. Paolo, can you offer further explanation of how this works?

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

I've something similar to this in mind. I just need to actually understand if the Band SDK allows something like this, if it doesn't I will find a way to do that anyway. The problem is you don't actually have an "I'm almost out of range" function in the SDK and when you lose the connection is already too late so I will have to think something else.

can you provide a more detailed description of how the app works? I read the in-store description but I wasn't sure about its mechanism

That's troubling since I thought I explained it pretty well, I'll have to review the description... It is your typical antitheft alarm. The alarm creates 4 sound notifications if someone moves your phone. If the band is enabled and in range it sends a long vibration the the band too. You can disable the phone sounds. Finally you have the option to detect light variation too so you can leave the phone in a closed bag (for example) facing up and it will alert you if someone opens the bag. In other words this is for when you leave the phone unattended like in a gym, or at home with curious moms and brothers, or at work.

interesting app will check it out. Should add store link :)

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/s...nd-alarm/5c8b629f-3da4-4027-aedc-413010266c5b

KjRVBmN.png

As a side note: you can disable movement detection and leave on light-variation-detection enabled, making it useful for the "dropped out of the pocket scenario" too.

Last edited:

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so the problem is this is a phone app, not a app that runs on the Band itself. I think that's what's needed to make it work.

Or, if you want to work on another angle, months ago I asked for a "find my phone" app. It's where you can use a tile on the band to activate a noise on the phone. The advantage over using other methods is this would only work if you're in Bluetooth range. So you're likely in ear range. Otherwise, you're just alerting someone to a "free phone". AND it's using something you already have on you - you're not having to hunt down another phone or computer.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so the problem is this is a phone app, not a app that runs on the Band itself. I think that's what's needed to make it work.

Or, if you want to work on another angle, months ago I asked for a "find my phone" app. It's where you can use a tile on the band to activate a noise on the phone. The advantage over using other methods is this would only work if you're in Bluetooth range. So you're likely in ear range. Otherwise, you're just alerting someone to a "free phone". AND it's using something you already have on you - you're not having to hunt down another phone or computer.

Band-side apps can't be coded so I'll have to deal with that some how. But i can definetly create a find my phone app, I thought there was one already!!

TwoClipz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded this app the other day and still playing with it, but so far its pretty cool.

Oh, since you can't post it yet.. here the link to your app..
https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/...nd-alarm/5c8b629f-3da4-4027-aedc-413010266c5b

B But i can definetly create a find my phone app, I thought there was one already!!
There are two apps out right now that do that... Mine is one if them (see my signature)... now that the new SDK's out, I'll be releasing an update later this week.

Last edited:

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking about using the new buttons of the sdk too but I won't add competition to your app in this already poor market :)

I'm updating mine too with full background support if anyone is interested.

Oh and if you are liking it and are in the US market would you please leave a decent review, I've two low scores and they are not updating the score after I've fixed the app :(

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Just want you to know that it is not intuitive that when you set a new PIN you have to press enter after entering the new PIN otherwise new pin won't work. Bought app to support btw and left a review. Can you add the option to create a custom tile that would activate/deactivate on 1 tap without having to open the app? That would be convenient.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Just want you to know that it is not intuitive that when you set a new PIN you have to press enter after entering the new PIN otherwise new pin won't work. Bought app to support btw and left a review. Can you add the option to create a custom tile that would activate/deactivate on 1 tap without having to open the app? That would be convenient.

Thanks for the support.

The activation tile is in the COMING SOON section of the description :)

I'm releasing another app then I'm going back to this one, this is not my main job, but I'll definitely develop that as soon as I can.

HanTing Lee

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
The updated app with pause and resume buttons on your band should be live tomorrow in the store!

Please give me some feedback!

I couldn't get the "tile" of my own even if I had already re-installed this app in my Lumia 1020(8.10.14226.359). Hang in there, I'm with you, and you guys are the best!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3