Do tattoos block Band's sensors?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Given how much negative press the Apple Watch has received about the heart rate sensor not working well on people with darker-colored tattoos under the sensors, I've been surprised that I've seen nothing definitive written about the impact of tattoos on Band. (There have been things written that say that Band has sensors similar to Apple's and that it should thus be similarly impacted, but nothing firm.)

I have a Band, but no tattoo. While I believe in the scientific method, I'm not willing to get a tattoo to gather empirical data. Do any inky-wristed people here have any experiences that they can share about how well or how poorly Band works on their arms?

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Reading some of the reports, it appears the issue is beyond HR monitoring, it fools the watch into thinking it's not on the wrist. MS Band uses electrical resistance measurements for that. So the worst that would happen is you don't get a HR reading.

But yeah, I'd think certain tats would affect the ability to get a HR reading. Just the nature of optical measurements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers