Wrong distance while running

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, today I took my band out for the first run.

So I hit the run tile, activated GPS, then the band told me that I can start while it is looking for a GPS signal, but I waited until it said GPS locked. I hit the Start Button and started. I ran my usual route which is ~5,6km (it was like that on my Lumia 920 + Lumia 1020 with Sports tracker + my friends Iphone + google maps).

When I synced the data with my phone the Band told me 7,32km + no GPS data (says enable GPS on your band to record a map of your run :( )

So 1st of all, why is the distance so off?? 2nd of all, why didnt it record the GPS data even so I enabled it and it said GPS locked???

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I think the first question is easy - until it's calibrated for your stride, it's just guessing on the mileage based on the number of steps.

The lack of GPS data is the real issue. All I can suggest is doing a reset and trying again.

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
So Factory resetting did the trick, just walked around on my property and I now have a map to my run :) YAY

So I assume I have to walk around the block once or twice in run mode with GPS enabled so it gets the distance more correct? or is the distance measured with GPS anyways through bing maps?

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
The distance on your GPS runs is measured by the GPS itself. The Band is able to calibrate your steps to the distance travelled so that you can get a pretty close distance measurement without GPS. That is what it seemingly tried to do on your first run, but without the calibration, the distance was significantly off.

I haven't run long distances without GPS, but I've done about a quarter mile on an indoor track twice and the Band tracked my distance pretty accurately.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
So Factory resetting did the trick, just walked around on my property and I now have a map to my run :) YAY

So I assume I have to walk around the block once or twice in run mode with GPS enabled so it gets the distance more correct? or is the distance measured with GPS anyways through bing maps?
There's two things to consider here: first, if you're running outside with GPS on, it should always get your distance right (pay no attention to the recent thread suggesting otherwise LOL).

Second however is the question of "teaching" the Band your particular stride length while running. I recommend picking a running speed that's typical for you and go do a bit of outdoor running with GPS on. That way, the Band will learn to estimate your running stride based on the GPS data. I wouldn't do it while walking as you may have a different stride length for different speeds.

-Matt

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Interesting discussion. My first run with the band was without GPS and it got a shorter distance than the actual route I took. Today I ran with GPS and it locked few minutes after I started my run, yet it got a more accurate distance this time. I like the idea of training the band to learn my stride length. I'll run tomorrow without GPS and see if it has learnt anything!

Now I need to go to bed and let the band analyze my sleep for the 3rd night!

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I have to get this Thread up again. I got a replacement band beginning of May (warranty), I then ran a couple of times with GPS enabled, worked flawelessly.

Now I did my first run in June and again there is no GPS data after my run. So my question is, is that normal after a couple of weeks without using the GPS? do I always have to hard reset it before a run? Anyone a clue why after some time it won't work (but says GPS locked)??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs