Band 2.0?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, just want to say that I loved the Band when I had it. It's a GREAT device. Problem is that I feel like it was a test device. A barometer to see if the idea was viable. I'd say it is.

I just couldn't get over the fit. Does anyone know if there is any movement on a Band 2.0 device? If so, can you site any references? I can't seem to find anything referring to the next gen device.

I would really like to give some feedback on the fit. I've done the uservoice thing. Thanks!

bigdog9586

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Band 2.0 is already out. Released on April 24th. It's called the APPLE WATCH. Am I ever glad micro mind wouldn't let us pre order them and made it first come lucky you. Now I have the REAL smart watch coming in a few days. I just wish my wife waited.

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Band 2.0 is already out. Released on April 24th. It's called the APPLE WATCH. Am I ever glad micro mind wouldn't let us pre order them and made it first come lucky you. Now I have the REAL smart watch coming in a few days. I just wish my wife waited.
Dude wrong forum 👎

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Problem is that I feel like it was a test device. A barometer to see if the idea was viable.
It is exactly that. It was a limited-run technology demonstrator designed to get OEMs to pick up the sensor suite and technology. None did. MS had a surprise hit on their hands and no inventory. There may or may not be a successor. Only MS knows.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft had plenty of other wearables to rip apart and test before they launched the Band, so I'm not convinced it is/was a test device.

I had the original Samsung Gear. No sooner had I learnt how to use it and another one came out! Having been 'bitten', I was VERY hesitant to buy a Band - especially as it's pretty damn ugly. However after a month of having it, I love it. Notifications work well for me. Battery - 2 days minimum. Only real negatives are the 'soft' screen (prone to scratches without a protector) and the bulk. Even though I got used to wearing it, I don't own an item of long sleeve clothing that fits over it.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft had plenty of other wearables to rip apart and test before they launched the Band, so I'm not convinced it is/was a test device.
Well, they said it was a demonstrator. With a first run of 5000 IIRC.
But Band isn't about the device. It's about the platform. There are other devices, but none with MS analytics behind it. That's the game they're wanting to be in. Any manufacturer can throw a few sensors in a rubber band, it's what happens with the collected data that makes Band.

CliveSinclair

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, they said it was a demonstrator. With a first run of 5000 IIRC.
But Band isn't about the device. It's about the platform. There are other devices, but none with MS analytics behind it. That's the game they're wanting to be in. Any manufacturer can throw a few sensors in a rubber band, it's what happens with the collected data that makes Band.

True, it needs a combination of hardware and data collection. It then depends on if Microsoft write a decent app, or let developers (like me) do it. I have not studied the band SDK, but develop on all three phone platforms (less on Android/iOS and more on WP/W10).

As a developer it doesn't look good for Windows (if you want to earn a 'living'). Partly retired, I develop more as a hobby and not to pay the Mortgage. iOS and Android could do that, WP can't.

Yes it's catch 22, but try telling that to buyers of iPhone 6/7 and Samsung S6, Note 4/5....

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

You are right about one part - if you're looking for a "smart watch", the Apple watch is probably the best. (assuming you have an iPhone). The Band isn't really a smart watch. Its a fitness tracker with some minimal "smart" capabilities.

So, enjoy playing Angry Birds and looking at photo albums on your wrist. I'll be using my Band for bike ride tracking and not have to always have my phone nearby. Different devices for different uses. That's the cool thing about wearables.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Have you looked at the FitBit Surge? That's the other device I was considering when I got the band. It has built in GPS, its more comfortable, and gets better battery life. Its also $50 more and doesn't have all the capabilities and sensors of the Band, no SDK for 3rd party apps, etc...

I did read one rumor that the Band 2 was actively under development and estimated to come out end of this year.

t.mehoves

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Good Luck getting notifications to work on Fitbits right now though.

Have you looked at the FitBit Surge? That's the other device I was considering when I got the band. It has built in GPS, its more comfortable, and gets better battery life. Its also $50 more and doesn't have all the capabilities and sensors of the Band, no SDK for 3rd party apps, etc...

I did read one rumor that the Band 2 was actively under development and estimated to come out end of this year.

t.mehoves

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
But at least Fitbit are actively supporting the features in the MS world that they can get access to. And have said they're investigating getting proper alerting working.

That's what they say, but if its not implemented in the next couple months...version 2 "should" be out. That means those on v1 never had full support and never got what they paid for. You really think those that got v1 are going to get v2? I waited 4 months and I am now selling my FitBit Charge HR in favor of getting something that actually works (Band).

Reverend67

May 13, 2015
Visit site

But unlike you, we've had our Apple Watch for a couple weeks. It's nice, but in my opinion, very underwhelming, especially for the price. It looks and feels great, to be sure, but doesn't even come close to the functionality of my Band with it's 2.5-day battery. But by all means, have fun with yours.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

I am looking at the Surge. My concern was if notifications were available via WP. Looks like they resolved that.

Garmin also announced the 225 which FINALLY has a EKG caliber HRM built-into the wrist. It doesn't do 24x7 HR tracking though and no notifications.

I really see this class of device becoming more accepted. I'm seeing it in my office and more people are asking my staff how to pair their wearable with their laptops and phones.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

So you weren't shopping for a fitness band, and still managed to buy one... Don't you read what you are buying?

t.mehoves

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I am looking at the Surge. My concern was if notifications were available via WP. Looks like they resolved that.

Garmin also announced the 225 which FINALLY has a EKG caliber HRM built-into the wrist. It doesn't do 24x7 HR tracking though and no notifications.

I really see this class of device becoming more accepted. I'm seeing it in my office and more people are asking my staff how to pair their wearable with their laptops and phones.

The Surge does not have notifications on WP, they have not resolved that and still have no timeframe (if it ever even comes).

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site

Before pulling the trigger on the Surge, I'd suggest that you have a good look at the FitBit forums. Lots of issues with inaccurate HR, which I can confirm from personal experience. IMO, it's a lot of sizzle and very little steak. Looks nice, but they market it as a premium device for serious fitness, and it just doesn't live up to that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077