Apple Watch vs. Band: Distance Accuracy

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
So I am still in comparison mode between the Apple Watch and Band. I just figured I give you all an observation about distance tracking while running...

I got the Watch on release day (5/24) and have been wearing both the Watch and Band for my runs. I carry my iPhone with me when I run anyway, so having it with me while I run wearing the watch wasn't an issue.

So after over a month here is what I found: The Band is MUCH more accurate than the Watch, and that's with the Watch using my phone for GPS. The Band's GPS lock has been pretty reliable, taking maybe no more than a minute to lock on. My runs so far range from 3-7 miles, running 3-4 times a week. I also turn on Nike + Running and MapMyRun on my iPhone when I run. When I feel the buzz from the Watch, I am still almost .1 miles from distance tracked by MapMyRun. When I feel the buzz from the Band, I am only off by maybe .01 miles. To me that is a pretty big difference.

I have heard/read that the Watch hasn't been too accurate on runs, and I guess that's the same for me as well. I will still continue to wear both on my runs to see if one or the other gets better/worse. Stay tuned....

(and if anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them....)

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The band team have a head start with data, because the band was launched long before the apple watch.. Not sure, but that might have sth to do with it?

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
The band team have a head start with data, because the band was launched long before the apple watch.. Not sure, but that might have sth to do with it?

Maybe... not sure. You'd think that the Watch would be more accurate than it is because it uses the iPhone GPS. Sorta gives an answer on how accurate the GPS in the Band is. I'll keep using both and see what happens. I'm not getting rid of the Watch, but not getting rid of the Band either...

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
How does the heart rate compare on those reported runs ?
What about calories both say you burned ?
Interested, please.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'd say that either the iPhone is struggling to get a lock (perhaps something about the way you have it on you when you run), or else it's not running full-time.

mfm77

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I love that the Band has built-in GPS and offers more accurate results than the Apple Watch does. That said, I've had difficulty locking onto a GPS signal for my last three runs (in wide open space, no buildings in sight) and actually had to reboot my Band before the GPS finally kicked in. I hope that's not a sign of things to come; I've enjoyed the Band since I got it last November and want to keep it, even if the next Apple Watch has built-in GPS. That said, I need reliable GPS, so we'll see...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium