Which app do you use for tracking your fitness?

Daniela S

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Which one do u use?

At the moment I am using Microsoft Health. But there are some limits.

Is there one, you can track all information in one place? (Sleep, runs, rides, workouts)

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I use MS Health with the Band. With my Garmin watch, I use Garmin Connect, Endomondo, RunKeeper, and I use HealthVault with both. I also have a Withings wifi scale that ties in with everything other than MS Health. In the past I have also used FitBit's app, Amiigo's app, Mio's app, and Strava. Yes, I tend to get a bit obsessive with these things. :sweaty:

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I use MS Health with the Band. With my Garmin watch, I use Garmin Connect, Endomondo, RunKeeper, and I use HealthVault with both. I also have a Withings wifi scale that ties in with everything other than MS Health. In the past I have also used FitBit's app, Amiigo's app, Mio's app, and Strava. Yes, I tend to get a bit obsessive with these things. :sweaty:

Lol... When I run, I wear the Apple Watch on my left wrist, the Band on my right wrist, having both track my run. But I also hold my iPhone when I run, so I use Nike + Running and MapMyRun... how's that for a hodgepodge... I also hold a small container of pepper spray in my left hand, being that there tend to be a lot of pitbulls in my neighborhood for some reason, and it hopefully makes someone think twice about mugging me for all my gear... lol...

Surprisingly I don't really use the Apple Health app all that much. But I use MyFitnessPal to track my calories and such, been using that for over 3 years now. Somehow this all works for me... :)

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
What I am discovering is that each wearable collects similar raw data and interprets it differently. What I mean is not that one is better than an another, rather, different parameter or criteria is used to inform the person. A simple example is how fitbit and MSB shows the same data. While HR is straight forward, things like sleep data, workout data are all presented differently in each respective app.

In another words, the tracking info is fragmented to say the least. I suppose that's one of the big reasons that apps like MS Health or Apple Health apps cannot present a whole integrated picture. myfitnesspal accepts input data in terms of weight (from smart scales), calories burned and steps but its very one dimensional.

It would be nice if there was a middleware that interface with all these different apps and devices and feeds it into "Health" app. That would be better than a stand alone app that interfaces with all the separate apps and devices, because of both Apple and MS's deep pockets to evolve and improve their own health app in the future.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
What I am discovering is that each wearable collects similar raw data and interprets it differently. What I mean is not that one is better than an another, rather, different parameter or criteria is used to inform the person. A simple example is how fitbit and MSB shows the same data. While HR is straight forward, things like sleep data, workout data are all presented differently in each respective app.

In another words, the tracking info is fragmented to say the least. I suppose that's one of the big reasons that apps like MS Health or Apple Health apps cannot present a whole integrated picture. myfitnesspal accepts input data in terms of weight (from smart scales), calories burned and steps but its very one dimensional.

It would be nice if there was a middleware that interface with all these different apps and devices and feeds it into "Health" app. That would be better than a stand alone app that interfaces with all the separate apps and devices, because of both Apple and MS's deep pockets to evolve and improve their own health app in the future.

That's a wonderful vision, and I'm all for it. However, the phrase "herding cats" springs to mind.........Everyone has their own ideas on what the best algorithms are, or more importantly, which algorithms work the best with their devices. It's a proprietary world out there.

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Curios to hear how the Apple watch and MS band compare data wise ?
Can you give some feed back on this, please.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Curios to hear how the Apple watch and MS band compare data wise ?
Can you give some feed back on this, please.

I haven't really dived into the data from the Watch yet, but I assume that the only data it has will spit directly into the Health app. It does have more options for different workouts, but I've only use the "Outdoor Run" and "Indoor Run". The other options are:

Outdoor Walk
Outdoor Cycle
Indoor Walk
Indoor Cycle
Elliptical
Rower
Stair Stepper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member