09-10-2015 11:33 PM
44 12
tools
    Phone support is full of BS. Try to go to a Microsoft store if there is one close to you and they should replace it on the spot.
    I took my first unit to a store because of a faulty heart rate sensor. They verified the issue by comparing the heart rate results between their demo unit and my unit. However, they told me that because I had purchased online, I had to go through customer care to set up a warranty exchange/repair.

This was in March, less than 3 weeks after receiving my initial order. I don't know if policies might have changed since inventory has become more widely available or if my local Microsoft Store just didn't know what they were talking about, but I was told that all returns/repairs had to go through the same channel as the original purchase.
    07-13-2015 09:56 AM
    My online repair experience has been terrible also. My wife's band had a screen failure the second day out of the box, and it took 4 weeks to get it back. The screen failed again about 6 weeks later (both failures occurred while sleeping). This time the Microsoft's service site stated they had inspected the band 4 days BEFORE FedEx delivered it to them and her warranty expired in the year 1900. We received the band back 2 weeks later unrepaired with a form letter stating it has excessive external damage. It some scratches on the screen but it hasn't been dropped or wet other than from hand washing. We're dealing with the escalation team now but it's been 2 weeks and I'm concerned we might be out $200 for this thing.wp_20150625_18_10_45_pro.jpg
    07-13-2015 07:11 PM
    sorry to hear you have such terrible experience with support. I am on my third replacement band and never had an issue. They asked me to send pictures and voila replacement process started. Typically a few days and I had my replacement back. This with the MS Complete Extended Service Plan (~$20).
    07-15-2015 05:58 PM
    Im on my 5th replacement which just failed and I'm waiting for the second generation to come out before I turn this one in never a problem getting replaced
    07-15-2015 06:27 PM
    My MSB was a Xmas present and have worn it every day since. I workout 5~6 days/wk and have been on my wrist almost all day, except when charging.

I don't have any of the issues as shown in the images by OP, and I do clean MSB with foam hand soap and water 1~2 times/week by running it under the faucet.

Yes, there are some scratches to the face/frame, and just recently, I've picked up a real scratch to the glass display. I got careless and scraped it on stucco doing yard work, but its hardly noticeable.

My sense is that some people's skin/pH balance causes more damage than others. This is very common amongst leather watch straps. For some, a strap last a very long time, whereas for others only few months. Its all a type of chemical reaction.

It would be a mistake, I believe, to over generalize few examples as a predictable outcome for everyone.

Last, need to set the life duration expectation for fitness bands. If it last 12~18 months (my criteria), then it met its lifespan expectation. I realize OP's Band is only 6 months so there is a problem - I agree. But its only $200, and not $500~$600, like Apple Watch.

I have not been too interested in AW, because I have a watch that I like and has a sentimental value that goes with it. Its a jewelry watch that cost few thousand that we bought on our honeymoon in NZ years ago. That said, when it breaks, I'll probably get whatever generation AW then, with an intension to replace it every 2~3 years, like I do with iPhone.
    Some people have high sodium content in sweat. Could be diet, kidney issues, all sorts of things.
    Derausgewanderte likes this.
    07-15-2015 06:54 PM
    Some people have high sodium content in sweat. Could be diet, kidney issues, all sorts of things.
    Or poopy fingers. Lol, nice nickname
    gadgetrants and Krystianpants like this.
    07-16-2015 08:06 PM
    I'm gonna trade mine when band 2 is announced and sell it. Mines pretty shifty looking now.

Just break it physically. They'll do it
    07-19-2015 09:52 AM
    For those wondering what a Band might look like after 6 months of normal use, this is mine:

Called the support and they won't repair this under warranty. Apparently peeling covering and batteries starting to pull away is not covered...

Attachment 106291Attachment 106292Attachment 106293
    They said the same to me. I got some plumber's tape and wrapped the batteries. It turned out kinda cool. I figure duct tape would work also...and provides for even more configuration.
    07-21-2015 07:50 PM
    I was told to try the local store because Microsoft band support probably would not take it. Thankfully the store replaced it. (I had the extended warranty)
    07-21-2015 08:41 PM
    I got my Band in January, by the beginning of June I was experiencing the same issue with peeling. Took it in to the MS store and within 30 minutes walked out with a new one covered under warranty. It is now the end of August and the replacement is also peeling, but not bad enough to exchange it again. I work out 3-4 times a week and clean is with a damp cloth shortly afterward. If the warranty period is 12 months then the device should be engineered to last at least thru the 12 month warranty period. At this point I am hoping I can keep swapping them out under warranty until I get at least 12-14 months use out of my $199 investment. By then I hope that MS has either resolved the issue or come out with an updated (presumably more sturdy) version. Otherwise I will be looking elsewhere where a new device. From my experience the band is only holding up for 4-5 months.
    08-24-2015 04:28 PM
    I actually just got a replacement for mine - corrosion by the charger and peeling plastic. I walked into the MS store, showed it to him, he asked the size, grabbed a new one with a screen protector and rang it up. I was in and out of the store in less than 5 minutes. He didn't even ask who I was or when I bought it.

I inquired about that and he told me that they aren't being pushed for sales of it and that they were just swapping them out to make the customer happy.
    Ian_Superfly likes this.
    08-25-2015 12:11 PM
    I actually just got a replacement for mine - corrosion by the charger and peeling plastic. I walked into the MS store, showed it to him, he asked the size, grabbed a new one with a screen protector and rang it up. I was in and out of the store in less than 5 minutes. He didn't even ask who I was or when I bought it.
    That was my experience exactly. Walked in, showed them the band, they asked what size, and handed me a new one + screen protector. They even took the time to put the protector on, messed it up the first time, so grabbed another protector and put it on. No questions asked.
    08-26-2015 09:59 AM
    I'm in the UK and noticed the bubbling on the battery covers over the weekend, after chatting with online support I've set up an exchange. This was all quick and painless so it's sad to see they are being inconsistent with any issues.
    09-01-2015 05:55 PM
    I'm in the UK and noticed the bubbling on the battery covers over the weekend, after chatting with online support I've set up an exchange. This was all quick and painless so it's sad to see they are being inconsistent with any issues.
    How did you "do" this?
    My girlfriends Band was bought in UK (but we live in Sweden) and battery covers are bubbling/losing chips of material.
    Do you have a link to that "online support"?

Thanks in advance!
    09-02-2015 03:14 AM
    Bubbling around the charging port has been started.

Reported that to Amazon UK (I'm from germany), where I bought it (april). Free replacemant Band is on it's way. When it arrives, I just have to send back my old one.
    09-03-2015 02:05 AM
    If you go to here:
    Microsoft Band support | Microsoft Band help and how-to | Microsoft Band setup and troubleshooting
    Make sure the URL doesn't change away from en-gb, you'll be able to register the Band and then I selected "Care" from the list.

I was asked if the bubbling caused any issues with the device, which I ignored and just said it was over the battery cover :)
    Ian_Superfly likes this.
    09-03-2015 02:08 PM

I inquired about that and he told me that they aren't being pushed for sales of it and that they were just swapping them out to make the customer happy.
    OK, add me to the list of re-owners. Walked in to the store and swapped mine for a new one today. Took 15 minutes rather than 5 -- they spent several of them trying to look up my initial purchase in the system (I don't think they found it).

Now I have a difficult choice to make:

(A) pull it out of the box, register it, and enjoy!

OR

(B) sell it and save the proceeds for a 2nd gen Band!

Not sure which way I want to go. If the new Band is announced in mid- October and released within the same month, I'd happily wait for it. If on the other hand it's announced late October or November and *maybe* shows up around BF/pre-XMAS...I'd rather keep what I've got and upgrade early next year.

Decisions, decisions...

-Matt
    Attached Thumbnails bandbreak.jpg  
    09-04-2015 01:32 AM
    Ya rolls the dice and you takes your chances, Matt. I'm trying to hold out with my old Band until the new one comes out. So far its still working, tho the battery covers are totally gone. No separation issues like you had, though, and its still charging ok in spite of some corrosion. Screen protector is peeling badly, but I hate to sink money into a new one at this point if I can help it.
    gadgetrants likes this.
    09-04-2015 12:51 PM
    I bought mine last halloween. I have peeling and some separation when it flexes. I feel it may break sometime before the year runs out. I bought at physical store with the $20/ protection policy. I was told that unless I lost it, if it broke I could replace it, even if dropped in water or run over by car.
    09-10-2015 11:33 PM
44 12