[BAND] Should I buy it?

guyjkh

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I live in Italy and my cousin is coming from the us next week. Two days ago, I saw that Microsoft discounted the band and now it costs 180$... So my question is, should I buy it? Is the band worth 180, or should I wait for the band 2? I can't pay more than 160? ... Thank you

bseuivafom

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
If you read the post back to yourself, since you've told us nothing about you or what you're looking for from the Band, can you appreciate how completely useless asking 'is the Band worth 180' is?

It's a fitness tracker with minor smartwatch features. Want a smartwatch? It's pretty much not worth anything - it's ugly, has limited functionality. Want a fitness tracker? Well in that case, it's one of the best on the market.

One thing you DONT want to do though, and this is just an opinion of mine, is buy anything that could be subject to lots of active wear and tear from outside your warranty zone. In Italy, you'd be completely SOL if anything goes wrong.

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Personally I am not buying the Band at present and am waiting for Band 2 which according to rumours will have a much greater emphasise placed on design and will run Windows 10. It should be out before the end of the year, hopefully sooner.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
And the Band 2 should be available in more countries. According to Daniel R it should be available in the countries where you also can get the Surface.

guyjkh

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I really liked the band and Microsoft in general... I have 2 Lumia phones and a Surface, I just wanted to complete my hardware with the band!
Here in Italy, I have a lot of options, even cheap ones like this: MYKRONOZ Zefit: Amazon.it: Elettronica which is compatible with Windows Phone 8.1 ... I think at this point that I'm gonna wait for the band 2 but in the meantime I'm getting this cheap fitness tracker. Thanks anyway

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Personally I am not buying the Band at present and am waiting for Band 2 which according to rumours will have a much greater emphasise placed on design and will run Windows 10. It should be out before the end of the year, hopefully sooner.
I'm glad you included the caveat "rumours"...I may be taking a bit more pessimistic view than yours...with less than 12 months between launches of versions 1 and 2 (I should stress, we assume) I'm predicting #2 will look 80-90% like it's younger brother -- though with a curved display.

I also think the Windows 10 rumor will fall into the "promise a lot, deliver much less" category. There's just no way for Microsoft engineers to update the embedded systems on the Band (including needed hardware changes) fast enough to be ready for 10. Maybe...Band 3. But to keep in mind how ambitious an expectation this is, remember how many times that Windows has promised a unified OS for computers, tablets, and phones...it took them quite a while to get tablets up to speed, and phones only got there recently (i.e., Windows 8 and the NT kernel). It's true that 10 is intended to work on everything but I doubt they'll get it right on the first shot.

-Matt

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
From "Ask Dan" video, it's not Windows 10, but Windows 10 IoT. Which has to be some kind of scaled down Windows.

At this point I think it's a question of how soon you need it. It appears Band 2 will come out in the next few month and you can get support in your country. Buy now, and in a year's time it will be a nice addition to your personal technology museum. :wink:

I like my Band, but at this point I think Band 2 is worth waiting for.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Unless you have common sense.....whats the point of posting?

Everyone has to have their voice heard. The rest of this isn't directed to you Rich:

I'm not into fitness. I can't say it without people looking at me and going "Riiiight..." But I want a band. Why? Because I actually like the minimalistic design. I don't want something flashy. It tells time and lets me check my messages? That's what I need. It checks my heart rate? That could be useful... Step counter? I walk. A lot... It might be a super high number. Can make it a game for myself to see how many steps I think vs reality.
You don't have to be into fitness to want one.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Unless you have common sense.....whats the point of posting?

Ok, maybe I took Birgitte's comments wrong? I read it originally as flaming or trolling. I apologize if that was not your content Birgitte.

Let me just give you my opinion of why I got the band, which is for all reasons other than it being a fitness type wearable.

1. Call notifications
2. TXT notifications (and I love being able to reply back as well).
3. Calendar notifications
4. System notifications
5. Sleep tracker ability
6. Countdown/stopwatch function (I use it all the time in the kitchen or other ways of setting quick reminders).
7......date and time because I do miss wearing a normal watch at work, and have not worn one in many many years.
8. I also like the band or bracelet type of form like BPSmurf stated as well.
9. MOST IMPORTANTLY.....its the only wearable that is designed to work with a windows phone in a complete sense of being a smart watch.
10. It has great battery life.

I do not like having to have my phone on me at all times through out the day especially at work. I keep it on my desk or in my backpack/briefcase. Having the band to see incoming calls or txt allows me much freedom and saves me time. Even when at home I like not having to have my phone in my hands or face all the time.

Basically, I find the Band or any such type of wearable like this, highly convenient and useful in my day to day life.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I do not like having to have my phone on me at all times through out the day especially at work. I keep it on my desk or in my backpack/briefcase. Having the band to see incoming calls or txt allows me much freedom and saves me time. Even when at home I like not having to have my phone in my hands or face all the time. .
Yes!!!!
This is why I got an old fashioned (digital) dumb watch! I'd check my phone to see the time. Oh look I have a notification. It's a text. And there's one on Facebook. 15min later I'm playing AoE and I don't even know what the time is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs