To buy or not?

RMCholewa

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi there!

I would like to ask the opinion of you guys regarding buying or not the microsoft band (or even waiting for band 2).

I workout every day and currently use a Fitbit Charge HR, that is, basically speaking, a disappointment. All sensors measures are simply wrong by a large offset, that renders any useful meaning impossible. Steps are off by a huge margin; heart rate is off by 50%+ (can?t even use it to know the zone I am in). The only thing that appears to be ok is sleep monitoring.

I saw a band being used by a coworker and found it to be rather interesting. It has a lot more features than any fitness band out there and some smartwatch features as well, exaclty what I was looking in a band. My phone is Android 5 based (Sone xperia Z3).

What you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I like mine. I feel the steps are fairly accurate - although some people seem to have issues with false steps. Some people have good luck with the the HR sensor, others, like myself - not so much. At least as far as knowing what my status is during the workout.

Band 2 is rumored to be out soon, so it might be wroth waiting for.

gbafam

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've never quite understand the attraction of the steps feature in fitbit, band or other similar products. For what it's worth, it seems to handle that feature just fine. For me accurate keeping records via gps of running and biking workouts is (modestly) important (I'm long past the age of worrying about better times and the like), particularly with respect to distance, calories and the like. I'm very pleased with the Band and it is easier to work than fiddling around with an app on the phone (lighting up the screen, pausing the program because you're at a stoplight, etc). You can pause the band simply by pressing the action button and starting it again by pressing the resume option. I can find some things to pick at, but it's pretty good and I'll no doubt order the band 2 when it's out.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Count me as another pretty enthusiastic fan. I also agree with DroidUser42 that we've passed that threshold where it's a coin toss on 1 vs. 2...for sure I say bide your time and jump on 2 when it comes out.

I'm also one of those owners who did zero research comparing alternative trackers before I bought it -- I knew the moment I saw the Band, and learned that it was platform-agnostic, that it was the device for me. I'm sorry that at least 2 of the sensors (temperature and GSR) remain unexposed, but for the $200 I paid I'm a happy customer. I could list other minor grievances (esp. fit), but it's paid me back handsomely and I'm willing to burn another $200 at the end of the year if #2 is at least a modest improvement, which the early rumors are already pointing toward.

Finally, I'm also an Android phone owner and have no complaints. None. OK, I'm a bit jealous that the Winphone guys get Cortana and keyboard integration on their Band, but OTHER THAN THAT I have no complaints! LOL

-Matt

RMCholewa

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for all your inputs, specially yours, gadgetrants. One of my concerns was exactly about using the band with android.

I will give it a try.

Thanks again!

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
One of my concerns was exactly about using the band with android.
An odd fact: as far as I know, only Android owners have the pleasure of getting turn-by-turn directions on their Band when they navigate with the phone (or at least it was so for a while after launch). Not sure I really need the feature -- especially since the phone is already telling me what to do! -- but it was nice to have something that the other two phone platforms didn't. Someone suggested it might be a useful feature while walking a busy street, where you don't want to be staring at your phone as you follow directions or even keep pulling it out of your pocket. Unfortunately I haven't tried that use scenario yet!

​-Matt

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Another thing... if a co-worker is using it, ask them to try it on. Some people are put off by how it looks or feels like a shackle on your wrist, others (like me) find no problem with it. Even if the sizing isn't quite right, still ask to try it on so you can get a feel for it.

fx747

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
It's not waterproof. I hope that next release will be at least WR100. That's why I'm not even considering buying it now.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Count me as another pretty enthusiastic fan. I also agree with DroidUser42 that we've passed that threshold where it's a coin toss on 1 vs. 2...for sure I say bide your time and jump on 2 when it comes out.
We're currently 101 days away from the 1 year mark for Band 1. Rumors are that Band 2 will be out before that. So you've got maybe 3 months of use to shift the equation from "wait" to "now".

MS has kept their plans pretty quiet. So odds are you'll wake up one day and there it is. So that "3 months" could easily turn out to be 1 month.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm amazed -- assuming the counts are reasonable -- that on a typical, sedentary work day I get 5000-6000 steps, while on the days I walk the dog (1.5 miles) and do a run, I can get well over 10,000. Just seeing that huge gap makes me think, "WOW, sitting at work is turning me into Jabba the Hutt!" It's only NOW occurring to me that I could go outside and do a 30-minute walk in the middle of the workday.

That, or get one of these, which I don't like so much!

uplift-treadmill-desk-review.jpg

​-Matt

RMCholewa

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again for all your opinions! I have decided to get one. I live in a country where it is not for sale (in fact, I had to create a new google account and setup a VPN to the US just to download the app - I guess that qualifies me as an enthusiast :))

If band 2 becomes available in the next few months, I hope they sell it here... At least MS announced that cortana will be available in Brazil until the end of the year...

Finally, fx747 said something of a concern. Cleaning the FitBit is a matter of washing it with neutral soap and an old toothbrush... but that?s a no-no for the MS Band. Another thing that bothers me are the reports that the metal from the galvanic sensor appears to get corroded pretty fast...

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
We've seen pretty amazing variation in people's Bands. Some degrade/corrode within a few weeks while others look relatively new after several months. I'm fairly convinced by the "skin chemistry" theory which means you won't know until you try.

But in my case, I'm one of the lucky ones with "good" skin and I've never washed it...I barely even remember to dry it with a towel when I've gone for a run. Every time I see someone mention alcohol or some other elaborate cleaning ritual, I kinda go....:shocked:

​-Matt

RMCholewa

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I read lots of messages about cleaning and people seem to clean it with isopropyl alcohol. As far as I can tell, it might "dry" the rubber out and make it crack and fall apart.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
on a typical, sedentary work day I get 5000-6000 steps, while on the days I walk the dog (1.5 miles) and do a run, I can get well over 10,000.

You have a much more active work day than I do apparently. The last two weeks of June, I did a couch to 5K guided workout in preparation of a 5K on July 1. I averaged around 11,000 steps per day with my lighter workout days as low as 6,600. For the past 3 weeks, I haven't done any workouts while having some knee pain assessed. My "sedentary work days" are averaging around 2,500. That may explain why I gained about 15 lbs in my first 3 years at this job before I started working out last summer.

fx747

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Actually, I was thinking about beach/lakeside use case. It would be very comfortable NOT to take off the band before any activities there. Especially that the device contains UV sensor which for sure works better when the band is on the wrist, not hidden in the darkness of the bag or backpack :). That's why it seems incomplete to me, WR100 is a must for v2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs