Creating a Interval Timer App

Jeff Patyk

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased the band with the goal of getting rid of using my phone for tracking. Profoundly disappointed that there isn't an interval timer. My fault though for not doing my homework first. I thought about creating an interval timer app. I've started to look at app development tools. I don't have any development experience. Can someone tell me if it is possible to create an interval timer, given the band's hardware? I'd hate to waste my time trying to do something that is impossible. I know there are interval timers in the phone store. Thanks.

Jeff

TwoClipz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for, but the band does have a timer, alarm and stop watch built into the band.

For all intentional purposes you can't program directly to the band. You can however create phone apps that send and receive data to the band.

The sdks are found here: Microsoft Band - Developers

There's also a list of apps that may already do what you're looking for depending on your phones platform.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band/358881-master-app-list.html

Hope that helps/

Jeff Patyk

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate the response. I'm looking for a timer that I can set and would go off repeatedly. For example, I can set my regular running watch to go off repeatedly every 12 minutes to remind me for water breaks. I'd love to do that with the band so I don't have to wear a watch while running.

TwoClipz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There is "Enhanced Alarm for MS Band" ... Interval timers that can send vibration alerts to the Band. it's the only one I see and it's only for Android.

kenjancef

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
An example of interval timer: wife does run/walk. She runs 3 minutes, walks 1, runs 3, etc... So you set one timer for 3 minutes, then one for 1 minute, tells her when to run/walk. Would be a great idea for an app. Had to buy a dedicated hand-held interval timer.

Jeff Patyk

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Again, thank you both for responding to my thread. To recap, it isn't possible to create an app to have on the band the same way you have one on your phone, correct? The only way to fix my issue would be to create an interval timer app that works with the band and I'd need to run with my phone so it can send the time to my band, correct?

TwoClipz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes.. to have a custom app do what you want, you would need the app on your phone to tell the Band every 12 mins to stop.

However, for what you're looking there's probably a Guided Workout that you could load to you band, so that you wouldn't need to take your phone when you run.

Go into the Health app on your phone... click the hamburger menu on the top left and select "Find a Workout"... Browsing by Type / Running .... returns several results... maybe one will work for you. Then simply send to your band.

It looks like most of those do exactly what kenjancef is mentioning.

You could also set the alarm on the band for 12 mins every time you stopped, but that would become annoying.

erichyde43

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I really wish Microsoft would release the ability to create custom guided workouts. I hope thats coming sometime, and won't be limited to just their fitness partners...

Erik Novikoff

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Let me know what you want in the app and I will see what I can do. There is some limitations to what can be on the Band without the phone nearby, but Wwhat you are asking for sounds doable. How many different intervals do you want? Also, do you want to try and setup the intervals on the band directly, or are you wanting to use the phone to do the configuration, and then leave the phone home while you exercise?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I know it's not my thread but interval would be good for me too.

Like if I set a timer for 12 mins and at each 20secs I could get buzz on my wrist.

Example:

0-20s - doing something
20-40s - doing something else
40-60s - rest.

repeat til 12 mins

Another example would be a 12 min timer with a buzz at each minute mark.

I guess it would be great to set on my band, a total time and then at what time interval.

Capn

May 19, 2015
Visit site
I would be game for this too. I walk/jog/run in intervals. 1st mile are in 60 second intervals, 2nd mile are in 90 second intervals, and so on... it would be nice to have this configurable and usable on the band without the phone (I don't carry my phone while I am running).

Thanks in advance.

Erik Novikoff

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok, will work on getting that done. Just a heads up that the timer will not integrate with the Exercise data that the band tracks on the other activities as they have not released that part in the SDK yet.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok, will work on getting that done. Just a heads up that the timer will not integrate with the Exercise data that the band tracks on the other activities as they have not released that part in the SDK yet.

Looking forward to seeing how it looks! I actually was wondering how it would work during my workout. Right now I use the generic exercise tile on. Never thought to see if I could have exercise tile and timer running simultaneously... well I guess I should try lol

Erik Novikoff

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Looking forward to seeing how it looks! I actually was wondering how it would work during my workout. Right now I use the generic exercise tile on. Never thought to see if I could have exercise tile and timer running simultaneously... well I guess I should try lol

You cant run 2 tiles at the same time (2 programs). Think of them like websites, the band can only run code on the website that you are currently visiting (tile).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs