band is falling apart. Thinking of getting Fitbit Surge

JDH58

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Has mine since day 1 and it was having the breaking apart symptoms and the bubbles around the charge port were causing issues with the band getting charges. My wife's though is still in great shape. I guess using it to track all activity such as yard work, rock climbing, backpacking in the rain, started doing mine in. So while near a Microsoft store I stopped and showed them and they just confirmed size and provided a new one. I was holding out for Band v2 but why wait when their service was so good. And yes, I did pay the @$13 for the replacement warranty. But they never even asked about it.

PS: The goalzero works great at charging the band while backpacking.

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Mine was falling apart as well with the coating delaminating from the inside battery areas and lots of "corrosion" or bubbling on the metal sensor and charging port areas. I contacted MS Support over the web (we don't have a MS Store anywhere near me) and they replaced mine for free without any hassle. They paid for shipping as well and turnaround was like 4-5 days. I was bummed that it didn't hold up better considering I never abused it but I was very happy with the support I received. I will definitely be getting the Band 2 based upon my experience so far and hope that they have made durability improvements.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I had the same experience at the Microsoft Store (Perimeter Mall, Atlanta). Mine had bubbled metal at the charging port and the other side, my wife's did not, but both of them had a formerly unnoticed slight gap on one side at the battery cover. They were originally ordered from Amazon, I had no receipt with me, apparently they don't care. The guy at the store exchanged both of them for new ones, including the zagg cover, and we swapped to a bigger size at the same time. He didn't want back the original charge cable or box, so now we have spares.

He even replaced my wife's long out of warranty Type Cover with a backlit Type Cover 2. I think it was the fact that we both have Surface Pro (mine's a Pro 3) and both carry Lumia 1020s that sent him over the edge. He said they do everything they can for "true believers" or something like that.

I only get to visit a Microsoft Store about once a year, hopefully they will open some more of them soon.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Forgive me for quoting myself (and double-posting to boot!) but I realized I didn't follow up here with my trade-in story, which is pretty much par for the course:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-band/360869-not-covered-warranty.html#post3217115

OK, add me to the list of re-owners. Walked in to the store and swapped mine for a new one today. Took 15 minutes rather than 5 -- they spent several of them trying to look up my initial purchase in the system (I don't think they found it).

Now I have a difficult choice to make:

(A) pull it out of the box, register it, and enjoy!

OR

(B) sell it and save the proceeds for a 2nd gen Band!

Not sure which way I want to go. If the new Band is announced in mid- October and released within the same month, I'd happily wait for it. If on the other hand it's announced late October or November and *maybe* shows up around BF/pre-XMAS...I'd rather keep what I've got and upgrade early next year.

Decisions, decisions...

Regarding my latest angst level, things have gotten worse since the announcement of the Moto 360 Sport. Looks like I'll be sitting on my hands the next month or two until some more dust settles.

-Matt

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Update. Contacted Support today and they agreed to replace my band, no questions asked. Just dropped my old one into UPS. Bandless now for a while.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Update. Contacted Support today and they agreed to replace my band, no questions asked. Just dropped my old one into UPS. Bandless now for a while.
Bandless is awful. I continue to get phantom notifications though I'm not wearing anything smart. I look at the inside of my wrist, but all I see is the clasp of my (*sigh*) analog watch. I look at my phone, and then yell, "WHY CAN'T YOU COMMUNICATE WITH MY TIMEX!!!" I hate this state of limbo. :cry:

-Matt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos