My third band replacement

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I had 3x screen issues. Screen went black. Sensor was working but the screen was lighted up but dark. My last replacement was 10 days ago. My first band last 3 months, my second band last 10 days after fixed by Microsoft. Never had a electronic device with so many issues like the MS band. I called Microsoft and said I don't want any replacement anymore and I want my money back or a voucher. Microsoft said that I couldn't get neither of them cause I bought through Amazon UK and Amazon does not refund it. I feel like buying a Fitbit surge or apple watch. At least Apple products have much better quality in general. The Microsoft Band turned into a nightmare for me. What a piece of sh.. product.
I'm wondering if more people went through the same I did.

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
No, that's why its a successful product and people are chomping at the bit for Band 2.0
I don't care who the manufacture is, Apple, Fitbit or Microsoft. Some people will have some issues.
Microsoft band is better than either of those choices as a fitness tracker, but if your unhappy and willing to lower your standards then by all means choose something else. No manufacture can make all people happy.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Same here, i just sent my 2nd Band back to Microsoft for repair.
when it comes back, im gonna sell it because i switched to a Garmin Vivoactive, and so far im loving it!
GPS locks in like 5 seconds, and that even indoor!?! I received the Vivoactive last Friday, since then i rode my bike for like 15 km, walked like 10 km, and all with GPS enabled, and my battery still has a little over 50 percent left. The only downside is, that the Vivoactive lacks a Heartsensor, you need to hook a cheststrap to it if you want to get a heartbeat measurement, but thats not a problem for me, since the measurement is more precise with a cheststrap anyway...

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I think the VivoActive is a solid contender, perhaps lacking only in the 24/7 monitoring department, because of the hr monitor issue. However, I think it would be a mistake to characterize the Band as defective based on one (or several) people's negative experience. There are many (including me) who still have their original Band from the original release date, without any of the issues described here. From experience, none of these devices are problem free. Check out the Garmin forums, check out the FitBit forums, whatever forums. I had a FitBit Surge, and returned it because of very inadequate HR monitoring. I have a Garmin Fenix 3, which is a fairly high-end fitness watch. I love it, and is has worked very well for me, but again, if you check the Garmin Fenix 3 forum, there are some very unsatisfied and vocal users out there. Same goes for the VivoActive. I use both the Band and the Fenix. The Band is the better for 24/7 use, and the Fenix is better for granular data on specific workouts. So far, in my experience, there is no one product out there that does it all perfectly.

My takeaway is that if you think getting fitness/health tracking right is easy, you're wrong. There are countless thousands of variables due to differing states of health, physiognomy, and the many different types of fitness activities out there, some of which lend themselves more readily to tracking than others. Its a market segment that is very much in flux, and a constant state of development. That's why these companies are so much castigated for making their customers into 'beta-testers'. No matter how much testing a company does pre-release, the only way to get enough data on all those variables is to get the product out in the wild, and figure out what works and what doesn't. What encourages me is that these companies are learning (though sometimes dragged kicking and screaming) more all the time about getting fitness tracking right, and making it more meaningful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb