Some interesting and clever ideas for the Band 2:

This Microsoft Band 2 Concept Looks Too Good to Be Real - Softpedia

this-microsoft-band-2-concept-looks-too-good-to-be-real-491093-10.jpg

this-microsoft-band-2-concept-looks-too-good-to-be-real-491093-15.jpg

this-microsoft-band-2-concept-looks-too-good-to-be-real-491093-3.jpg

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I may have to update my glasses if some of those screens are accurate. It certainly looks nicer, but I'm not seeing anything that tempts me to trade up. But being able to see more of a message on the display could be nice.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I think the Band 2 will look more like a watch than this.
Seems that we had a trickle of rumors early in the year...then a bit more in the spring...but since May I think the rumor mill has pretty much dried up. What I gather is that they'll announce in October, and based on aggregating all the various sources so far, it sounds like the biggest update is going to be a curved display. I think, other than that, it will be largely the same device, with tweaks like modest increases in screen resolution, battery capacity, and onboard memory. Hopefully also water resistance and longevity/build quality. Since it's called the "Band" I don't think it will evolve toward something watch-like -- that would be moving it closer to Apple and Android watches, and right now I think MS wants to occupy the niche in-between the smart watch and the activity tracker.

I'll also go on the record with the prediction that we'll see some things dropped off, probably the GSR sensor and maybe UV too, which don't seem to be used much if at all. Sure it would be great to have MS announce "we NOW have a stress sensor," but to be honest, tech companies promise the moon and stars and then deliver small asteroids. The kitchen-sink approach of throwing in so many sensors was admirable, but it's not a sustainable business model. They'll likely pare down to less sink on Band 2.

-Matt

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'll also go on the record with the prediction that we'll see some things dropped off, probably the GSR sensor and maybe UV too, which don't seem to be used much if at all.
I think GSR was useful internally to see if you were wearing it. You may be right about the UV. Kinda neat, but I've only used it once. But then, I stay out of the sun anyway. But we'd have to hear from those who do work out in the sun. Unfortunately, with the current display, that's been the Band's weak area. It's hard to see it full sun. Maybe Band 2 switched from TFT to OLED which is not only brighter but can be flexed.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I think GSR was useful internally to see if you were wearing it. You may be right about the UV. Kinda neat, but I've only used it once. But then, I stay out of the sun anyway. But we'd have to hear from those who do work out in the sun. Unfortunately, with the current display, that's been the Band's weak area. It's hard to see it full sun. Maybe Band 2 switched from TFT to OLED which is not only brighter but can be flexed.
My thinking on the GSR is they never seriously intended to use it, and resorted to hacking it as a "are you wearing the Band?" detector instead (which you can estimate from other sensors if need be). Given that it takes up space, takes up power, and takes up programming resources, it's a natural candidate for being dropped. I'd rather they keep it and actually use it, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Regarding outdoor display problems, I don't want to turn into "they guy who keeps talking about the Moto 360 Sport" but Moto's touted Anylight Hybrid display seems to be a response to that issue. I doubt MS will surprise use with something as unconventional as that.

-Matt

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
These look really nice and would make the Microsoft Band more than just a tool, but a stylish accessory too! Although for some reason I feel the Microsoft Band is going to be ugly just like the first generation

Last edited:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely love how they went in a completely different direction by Creating a Microsoft Smart Band and not a Smart Watch... That's some great marketing.. If this MS Band 2 has a more beautiful design, and gets plenty of TV ads (and of course other iterative improvements towards perfection) then I think it would sell very well...

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If the band 2 is completely water proof so you could use it whilst swimming, has a ridiculously long battery life and didn't need charging it would sell out in a second and no charging would mean a much more accurate picture of your sleep patterns if your into that sort of stuff. Well one can dream :p.

But never the less a week long battery life would be a good start :).

I like the silver mockup as it covers around your wrist.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to turn into "they guy who keeps talking about the Moto 360 Sport"
I don't mind. Nothing happens in a vacuum and I really should keep my eye on the alternatives when it comes time to eyeball the Band 2. And being a Android user, a Moto 360 is probably on the short list of competitors for my money.

I think some of the functionality does seem to be hampered by the small display, but if that's the key to the better pricing, so be it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goergtalk