How many times have you had to get your band fixed?

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine made it almost 9 months before the usual problems. Took ~15 minutes in-store to replace. For a while call-in replacements were going better, but I think now there are an even number of in-store vs. call-in replacements on the forum. I have the feeling MS has distributed memos to stores educating them that the first gen is a working prototype with a limited lifespan, and with directions that they should be replaced with no fuss (which could also be construed as instructions to "get them off the shelf so there's room for Band 2!"

For the morbidly curious: sold the new replacement online and now eagerly awaiting news of Band 2. Thanks @DroidUser42's poll, I fit in the "need more details" category.

-Matt

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I love the device, took no time to get used to it but after 3 weeks I'm wondering if I'm better off waiting for the Band 2 as little things like the battery covers wearing off really bug me. Especially when I read the warranty and realise things like that aren't covered.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
They say so ("cosmetics not covered") but in recent weeks we've seen story after story of people walking (or calling) in and getting theirs replaced. Of course, in most cases it's things like metal corrosion, funky screens/charging, or in my case, the band itself slipping apart.

-Matt

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I got mine in March and have had 2 warranty replacements.

1) Bad HR monitor that would read anywhere from 10 to 30 bpm too high during inactivity. It was replaced within 10 days of purchase.

2) After completing a half marathon, I was able to end the run activity, but only the right 1/3 of the touch screen responded to touch. I couldn't use the Band to open any new activities or scroll through settings. I may have splashed some sports drink on it while trying to drink during the run.

I've had my third unit for about 4 months. The rubber on the battery covers was showing some wrinkles last I checked, but as I was typing this message, I just looked again and see that one side is beginning to peel, but from what I've read on these forums, this seems to be only a cosmetic issue that will not affect functionality, so I'm not really concerned.

SorenCG

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
My first band stopped charging after 3 months.

My second band had gps stop working and battery compartments peeling away. 6 months.

I am wearing #3 right now. Crossing my fingers that band 2 will arrive before this one goes bad.

I wear it at all times that it isn't charging or showering, and I run/work out with it 5 times a week. I have learned that you have to wipe down the contacts and sensors gently with a wet cloth once a day or after workouts to keep it running longer.

I don't mind, I knew it was a prototype and I paid for it and Microsoft has replaced it in-store with no questions asked every time.

I am buying band 2 for sure

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I went through three over a period of six months before returning it to the Microsoft store. First one developed sharp, bubbly paint around charger and gsr, second peeled away at the batteries, third had the screen go poof. Eagerly awaiting Band 2 now as I really do miss the functionality.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
on my 4th one. But I shouldn't count the first one really as it was shipped doa (purchased the week it was first released). The band had blemishes and the pins of the charger were all screwed up.
Then the bumps on the metal parts started on the next one after a few months. I was able to replace the band twice with the same problem since. My last one starts to show the same symptoms and it will be just a matter of time until I will get it replaced before my warranty expires. Then possibly hand it down to a family member and invest in v2.

cheers

206Husky

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I've had to send mine in twice. Luckily, I bought Microsoft Complete, so I was able to get a replacement the first time. I got mine middle of November, here are my issues:

#1: Full replacement, July: Band would turn off randomly, rubber had peeled off, issues charging
#2: Sent in for repair, September: Touch screen not working after playing soccer in the rain

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I got mine on release day, and the paint over the battery compartments has since peeled off (as seems to be a common issue), but I haven't had any problems with it. It even got blasted with high-pressure water the other day and it's still fine.

I was gona try to get a replacement from the MS Care plan thing just to get a fresh one (mine's scuffed up and stuff), but I'm also inclined to just stay with this one that doesn't have any issues :)

lolguy

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
More than three months of daily use and still no issues. South Florida, so it's hot and steamy, and I exercise/sweat regularly/easily.

I wonder if those who've had issues chose a band that is tighter or looser. My first band was a medium. It was comfortable on the two largest settings but I really needed to spread the ends to get it on and off. I thought that in the long run regularly pulling the ends would not be good for the band. Exchanged it the following day for the large. It also fits but taking it on and off doesn't seem to put nearly the same pressure on the band.

So far, so good. From a capabilities standpoint, I don't think it can be beat and it's holding up well to boot.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
More than three months of daily use and still no issues. South Florida, so it's hot and steamy, and I exercise/sweat regularly/easily.

I wonder if those who've had issues chose a band that is tighter or looser. My first band was a medium. It was comfortable on the two largest settings but I really needed to spread the ends to get it on and off. I thought that in the long run regularly pulling the ends would not be good for the band. Exchanged it the following day for the large. It also fits but taking it on and off doesn't seem to put nearly the same pressure on the band.

So far, so good. From a capabilities standpoint, I don't think it can be beat and it's holding up well to boot.

It seems like most everyone has problems sooner or later, and I think that's mostly down to differences in body chemistry. Mine lasted well from release date until just the other day, while others have had Bands that only lasted a month or so. Some folks sweat seems to be more acidic or something, and reacts very strongly with the metal surfaces of the charging port, as well as the battery covers. Those battery covers just plain didn't work out, really. You could feel them getting thinner and more 'papery' feeling as time went on. Fortunately, function and comfort don't seem to be affected in the least when the battery covers are shed. Proper fit could be a consideration as well, but there's only so much you can do with that. Too loose and you won't get reliable hr monitoring, particularly during vigorous exercise. My opinion is that it is a very strong product for a first release, with room for improvement. We'll see what Band 2 brings!

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I wear mine all the time except for charging. I have been good about not getting the Band wet but it gets knocked around a lot.
- First Band stopped synching and the clasp broke
- Second Band clasp broke
- Third Band the charger wouldn't connect securely
I'm on my fourth Band and the clasp is broken but I am keeping it in place with a rubber band. I haven't replaced my current Band because I am waiting to buy Band 2. I really, really hope they improved the clasp. The reason I stick with the Band is I like all the features and I just take the broken Band to the Microsoft Store and they give me a new one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos