How many times have you had to get your band fixed?

Clint Davis

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I got my original band in January. Today, I shipped my newest one in for exchange as it would not turn on randomly. I have now had it replaced 5 TIMES!!!!

1) GPS stopped 2) wouldn't turn on 3) heart rate fail 4) wouldn't turn on without being plugged in 5) won't turn on

Is this the norm (5 in 8 months) or am I just incredibly unlucky?

raydwatts

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I have had mine replaced once after the screen went wrong. I was caught in a heavy rain storm and water must have got in there. Took just over 3 weeks as I had to send mine to the European returns centre and get a replacement sent to me as I live in the U.K. which does not have a physical store.

Clint Davis

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I have had mine replaced once after the screen went wrong. I was caught in a heavy rain storm and water must have got in there. Took just over 3 weeks as I had to send mine to the European returns centre and get a replacement sent to me as I live in the U.K. which does not have a physical store.
Thanks for the reply. Did you get it at launch? If so a one time return wouldn't be bad. Do you use it daily in all sorts of weather conditions? Mine is always on unless I am in the water, showering, or it is charging. I run over and hour a day and do extra workouts at night. I'm kind of wondering if it was not made for the kind of stress I put on it. The last one didn't even make it for a month.

rangerdogy

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Still on my first from the original batch. Wear it running about 50 miles per week with no issues. Don't know if I'm the norm, or you're the norm (people without issues don't post such, so hard to tell how many have no issues).

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I got mine at release and just had it replaced about a month ago.

The Band worked fine, but the rubber on the inside started pealing.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my second band, the first one was replaced just for cosmetic reasons, and they were happy to do it at the MS store. I stopped by the store on Sunday, and showed them that my battery packs are starting to pull away from the band, they said bring it in with the charging cable and they'd swap it for new one. So I'm going in tomorrow.

CrisZoe

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
#5 here. I got mine about a couple of weeks after they came out.

#1 failed - walked into an infinity pool about 30 feet before realizing I was wearing it. Spent about a minute under water to a depth of 1 foot. Screen died.
#2 failed - got caught in a rain storm when out hiking. screen died
#3 failed - charger connection corroded became hard to charge, lasted maybe 2 months
#4 failed - stopped charging, would randomly turn off, lasted 1 month

All were replaced without issue from the local MS store. While I love my band, I hope Band 2 is a bit more waterproof and they changed the charging mechanism. An inductive mat would be very cool.

raydwatts

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Did you get it at launch? If so a one time return wouldn't be bad. Do you use it daily in all sorts of weather conditions? Mine is always on unless I am in the water, showering, or it is charging.
I did get it when it was launched in the U.K. I wear mine quite alot of the day, though if just sitting indoors I'll put it on charge. Sync is hit and miss occasionally but overall I am happy with it.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the process of getting my first Band replaced after the covering on the battery started to go. l've only had the device since May though. Same experience as the other poster as I've been waiting 3 weeks so far & the issue has been escalated.
If I buy the Band 2 I'll get it from a store I can go back to for a replacement, rather than sending it off.

Clint Davis

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the process of getting my first Band replaced after the covering on the battery started to go. l've only had the device since May though. Same experience as the other poster as I've been waiting 3 weeks so far & the issue has been escalated.
If I buy the Band 2 I'll get it from a store I can go back to for a replacement, rather than sending it off.

I wish I had a store nearby. From here in the US it usually takes about a week total.

I have to say, I think the band is great and feel lost without it for a week or so about every 5-6 weeks when it is being sent back in for service. I like the support I get but I know that when my warranty runs out I will be left out on the cold the next time it goes down.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I bought it the day it was available. I'm on #3 - but only because I thought I needed a large and that didn't work out so well.

#1 - Medium
#2 - Large
#3 - Back to Medium.

This was in about a 30-60 day window. So I've had my current one for 10 months.

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had it fixed once, but it needs to be fixed again... Waiting for the second Gen to hopefully swap them and pay the difference.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
That's my plan as well (peeling on the battery door).

Yeah, battery doors on mine as well...

9a712ea1c5cd6dfd03f78cd63211390b.jpg

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It's almost as if the rubber/plastic over the batteries is a synthetic toilet paper... It absorbs water/sweat then slowly stays to come apart.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Just once. Had mine since release day, but sent it in for replacement the other day. The screen went wonky (partially lit, partially dark), and it was having trouble holding a charge. The rubber has been gone from the battery covers for ages, but that didn't seem to cause any problems, and wasn't even visible when worn.

Kilika_g35

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Just once for me, as well. I had it exchanged at a B&M MSS just yesterday, in fact. I purchased mine online in mid-March. I wear it daily (of course except when it's charging), run 2-3 times per week, gently wipe it with a damp cloth after each workout, and it has held up pretty well until this past month. I started having problems getting it to charge and would have to fiddle with it to make sure that it continued to charge. Many times it would stop charging after 30 secs. Around the same time, it consistently shut off about a minute after I pulled off the charger. I cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol, as suggested by MS and that seemed to slightly improve the issues. However, yesterday, after a run and the habitual gentle cleaning, the material on one of the battery covers completely came off, exactly like sinime's uncanny, but highly accurate, description. To top it off, after already being dissapointed by the peeling, it decided not to only shut down once after unplugging the charger, but continued to shut off by itself for about the next 3.5 hours. Luckily there is a B&M MSS relatively close to where I work, so I dropped in during lunch and swapped it out.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just sent mine in this afternoon.
For some reason, within the past week, I started getting random and numerous reboots. At times, my Band would simply shut down, and not boot up without being plugged in. Once unplugged, however, it would shut down again, regardless of the charge on the battery.
Rubber on battery covers has been gone since December.
Got mine on release date.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise