10-01-2015 04:45 PM
34 12
tools
    I got my original band in January. Today, I shipped my newest one in for exchange as it would not turn on randomly. I have now had it replaced 5 TIMES!!!!

1) GPS stopped 2) wouldn't turn on 3) heart rate fail 4) wouldn't turn on without being plugged in 5) won't turn on

Is this the norm (5 in 8 months) or am I just incredibly unlucky?
    09-21-2015 06:25 PM
    No one?
    09-21-2015 07:44 PM
    I have had mine replaced once after the screen went wrong. I was caught in a heavy rain storm and water must have got in there. Took just over 3 weeks as I had to send mine to the European returns centre and get a replacement sent to me as I live in the U.K. which does not have a physical store.
    Clint Davis likes this.
    09-21-2015 08:04 PM
    I have had mine replaced once after the screen went wrong. I was caught in a heavy rain storm and water must have got in there. Took just over 3 weeks as I had to send mine to the European returns centre and get a replacement sent to me as I live in the U.K. which does not have a physical store.
    Thanks for the reply. Did you get it at launch? If so a one time return wouldn't be bad. Do you use it daily in all sorts of weather conditions? Mine is always on unless I am in the water, showering, or it is charging. I run over and hour a day and do extra workouts at night. I'm kind of wondering if it was not made for the kind of stress I put on it. The last one didn't even make it for a month.
    09-21-2015 08:15 PM
    Still on my first from the original batch. Wear it running about 50 miles per week with no issues. Don't know if I'm the norm, or you're the norm (people without issues don't post such, so hard to tell how many have no issues).
    gadgetrants likes this.
    09-21-2015 08:50 PM
    I got mine at release and just had it replaced about a month ago.

The Band worked fine, but the rubber on the inside started pealing.
    09-21-2015 09:09 PM
    I'm on my second band, the first one was replaced just for cosmetic reasons, and they were happy to do it at the MS store. I stopped by the store on Sunday, and showed them that my battery packs are starting to pull away from the band, they said bring it in with the charging cable and they'd swap it for new one. So I'm going in tomorrow.
    09-22-2015 01:02 AM
    #5 here. I got mine about a couple of weeks after they came out.

#1 failed - walked into an infinity pool about 30 feet before realizing I was wearing it. Spent about a minute under water to a depth of 1 foot. Screen died.
    #2 failed - got caught in a rain storm when out hiking. screen died
    #3 failed - charger connection corroded became hard to charge, lasted maybe 2 months
    #4 failed - stopped charging, would randomly turn off, lasted 1 month

All were replaced without issue from the local MS store. While I love my band, I hope Band 2 is a bit more waterproof and they changed the charging mechanism. An inductive mat would be very cool.
    raydwatts likes this.
    09-22-2015 07:53 AM
    Thanks for the reply. Did you get it at launch? If so a one time return wouldn't be bad. Do you use it daily in all sorts of weather conditions? Mine is always on unless I am in the water, showering, or it is charging.
    I did get it when it was launched in the U.K. I wear mine quite alot of the day, though if just sitting indoors I'll put it on charge. Sync is hit and miss occasionally but overall I am happy with it.
    09-22-2015 02:00 PM
    I'm in the process of getting my first Band replaced after the covering on the battery started to go. l've only had the device since May though. Same experience as the other poster as I've been waiting 3 weeks so far & the issue has been escalated.
    If I buy the Band 2 I'll get it from a store I can go back to for a replacement, rather than sending it off.
    09-22-2015 02:02 PM
    I'm in the process of getting my first Band replaced after the covering on the battery started to go. l've only had the device since May though. Same experience as the other poster as I've been waiting 3 weeks so far & the issue has been escalated.
    If I buy the Band 2 I'll get it from a store I can go back to for a replacement, rather than sending it off.
    I wish I had a store nearby. From here in the US it usually takes about a week total.

I have to say, I think the band is great and feel lost without it for a week or so about every 5-6 weeks when it is being sent back in for service. I like the support I get but I know that when my warranty runs out I will be left out on the cold the next time it goes down.
    09-22-2015 04:06 PM
    I bought it the day it was available. I'm on #3 - but only because I thought I needed a large and that didn't work out so well.

#1 - Medium
    #2 - Large
    #3 - Back to Medium.

This was in about a 30-60 day window. So I've had my current one for 10 months.
    Last edited by DroidUser42; 09-22-2015 at 08:42 PM.
    09-22-2015 04:24 PM
    I've had it fixed once, but it needs to be fixed again... Waiting for the second Gen to hopefully swap them and pay the difference.
    09-22-2015 04:30 PM
    I've had it fixed once, but it needs to be fixed again... Waiting for the second Gen to hopefully swap them and pay the difference.
    That's my plan as well (peeling on the battery door).
    09-22-2015 04:31 PM
    That's my plan as well (peeling on the battery door).
    Yeah, battery doors on mine as well...

09-22-2015 04:42 PM
    Not one time - have had it since day one. A few software glitches, but that's it.
    09-22-2015 04:44 PM
    It's almost as if the rubber/plastic over the batteries is a synthetic toilet paper... It absorbs water/sweat then slowly stays to come apart.
    09-22-2015 06:06 PM
    Just once. Had mine since release day, but sent it in for replacement the other day. The screen went wonky (partially lit, partially dark), and it was having trouble holding a charge. The rubber has been gone from the battery covers for ages, but that didn't seem to cause any problems, and wasn't even visible when worn.
    09-22-2015 06:22 PM
    Just once for me, as well. I had it exchanged at a B&M MSS just yesterday, in fact. I purchased mine online in mid-March. I wear it daily (of course except when it's charging), run 2-3 times per week, gently wipe it with a damp cloth after each workout, and it has held up pretty well until this past month. I started having problems getting it to charge and would have to fiddle with it to make sure that it continued to charge. Many times it would stop charging after 30 secs. Around the same time, it consistently shut off about a minute after I pulled off the charger. I cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol, as suggested by MS and that seemed to slightly improve the issues. However, yesterday, after a run and the habitual gentle cleaning, the material on one of the battery covers completely came off, exactly like sinime's uncanny, but highly accurate, description. To top it off, after already being dissapointed by the peeling, it decided not to only shut down once after unplugging the charger, but continued to shut off by itself for about the next 3.5 hours. Luckily there is a B&M MSS relatively close to where I work, so I dropped in during lunch and swapped it out.
    09-22-2015 08:58 PM
    Just sent mine in this afternoon.
    For some reason, within the past week, I started getting random and numerous reboots. At times, my Band would simply shut down, and not boot up without being plugged in. Once unplugged, however, it would shut down again, regardless of the charge on the battery.
    Rubber on battery covers has been gone since December.
    Got mine on release date.
    09-22-2015 09:20 PM
    Mine made it almost 9 months before the usual problems. Took ~15 minutes in-store to replace. For a while call-in replacements were going better, but I think now there are an even number of in-store vs. call-in replacements on the forum. I have the feeling MS has distributed memos to stores educating them that the first gen is a working prototype with a limited lifespan, and with directions that they should be replaced with no fuss (which could also be construed as instructions to "get them off the shelf so there's room for Band 2!"

For the morbidly curious: sold the new replacement online and now eagerly awaiting news of Band 2. Thanks @DroidUser42's poll, I fit in the "need more details" category.

-Matt
    09-22-2015 10:08 PM
    I have imported mine from the State in genuary, no problem at all.
    I wear it everyday all day except when I have to do some heavy hand work
    09-23-2015 01:54 AM
    I love the device, took no time to get used to it but after 3 weeks I'm wondering if I'm better off waiting for the Band 2 as little things like the battery covers wearing off really bug me. Especially when I read the warranty and realise things like that aren't covered.
    09-23-2015 12:39 PM
    They say so ("cosmetics not covered") but in recent weeks we've seen story after story of people walking (or calling) in and getting theirs replaced. Of course, in most cases it's things like metal corrosion, funky screens/charging, or in my case, the band itself slipping apart.

-Matt
    09-23-2015 12:44 PM
    I got mine in March and have had 2 warranty replacements.

1) Bad HR monitor that would read anywhere from 10 to 30 bpm too high during inactivity. It was replaced within 10 days of purchase.

2) After completing a half marathon, I was able to end the run activity, but only the right 1/3 of the touch screen responded to touch. I couldn't use the Band to open any new activities or scroll through settings. I may have splashed some sports drink on it while trying to drink during the run.

I've had my third unit for about 4 months. The rubber on the battery covers was showing some wrinkles last I checked, but as I was typing this message, I just looked again and see that one side is beginning to peel, but from what I've read on these forums, this seems to be only a cosmetic issue that will not affect functionality, so I'm not really concerned.
    09-23-2015 01:17 PM
34 12