Disappointing lack of support from MS

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Factory warranty or added protection plan?

Factory. I went on the MS warranty repair site, filled out the paperwork and shipped it off. I've only had this 6 months. No swimming. No showers. No submerging into water. No abuse. Treated it like I do my phones which are all still in fantastic shape. Just some sweat. The thing peeled and eventually the clasp, which I happen to think is a brilliant idea, loosened then eventually broke. I would go onto say that if Band 2 is using the same materials, I'll move over to Fitbit Surge or something. This is 6 months of what I figure to be normal use. The materials are below expectations.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to everyone! Undoubtedly if I had chosen to take a stand, eventually I would have prevailed. I chose not to, because with the new version becoming available soon, all I stood to gain was an outdated product. Additionally, I believe that a company makes its reputation by the way it treats its customers, and if MS chooses to massively fail in this, who am I to try to correct them? Apparently this is their chosen policy, and they followed it. So be it. In the future, I will make my purchasing decisions based entirely on whether or not I think a particular MS product is compelling enough to persuade me to buy it, with full knowledge that they will probably not stand behind their product should it stop working (when used as advertised), as they have demonstrated. They may, or may not, have lost me as a customer, but they certainly have lost my loyalty, which probably doesn't amount to squat anymore anyways.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to everyone! Undoubtedly if I had chosen to take a stand, eventually I would have prevailed. I chose not to, because with the new version becoming available soon, all I stood to gain was an outdated product. Additionally, I believe that a company makes its reputation by the way it treats its customers, and if MS chooses to massively fail in this, who am I to try to correct them? Apparently this is their chosen policy, and they followed it. So be it. In the future, I will make my purchasing decisions based entirely on whether or not I think a particular MS product is compelling enough to persuade me to buy it, with full knowledge that they will probably not stand behind their product should it stop working (when used as advertised), as they have demonstrated. They may, or may not, have lost me as a customer, but they certainly have lost my loyalty, which probably doesn't amount to squat anymore anyways.

Maybe a little more than an outdated product if you spend a bit of effort. The one they replace it with could go to offset the costs of a new Band in the market. Something to consider anyway.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Maybe a little more than an outdated product if you spend a bit of effort. The one they replace it with could go to offset the costs of a new Band in the market. Something to consider anyway.
I don't want to beat the horse any dead-er than it already is (forgive me Nate)...but for anyone who's morbidly curious...

New Bands are selling at Amazon for about $125. IIRC Amazon takes 10% from Marketplace listings which means third-party sellers are netting about $112 on them. If one were listed for say $120 or so they could easily underprice the competition, sell in 1-2 days, and walk away with $100. My advice to anyone who gets theirs replaced in the next few weeks is to go that route, though it's a bit of a wild card after the announcement next week. HOWEVER, it's important to remember that Band 2 "is not supposed" to ship until November, which gives Band 1 sellers a bit of time before the price drops well below $100 for good.

-Matt

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
What MS probably should have done is announce that they will offer Band 1 users $50 off if they trade up from a Band 1 to Band 2, regardless of condition. That way they get a product off the street that isn't holding up well, while thanking early adopters for their help in shaping this new category into a viable new line of business.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
What MS probably should have done is announce that they will offer Band 1 users $50 off if they trade up from a Band 1 to Band 2, regardless of condition.
I might go for that if they did it.

Now, when would they announce such a thing? Probably when Band 2 itself become official - meaning it's not in the past tense yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99