Greetings,

Super excited for new Band - if someone could please help me out with this question:

Will the Microsoft Band (2015) be able to play music? As in just the band (no phone) via bluetooth headphones (like the powerbeats wireless 2).

Thank you for your time.
    10-06-2015 01:25 PM
    Since it wasn't mentioned in the presentation as an added feature, I'm giong to say no. The original Band has no storage for music media or a way to connect to a BT headset, so I would think adding those is the Band 2 would be newsworthy.
    10-06-2015 03:19 PM
    Yeah I also think I have read that there is no internal storage again on the Band 2, so no playing music via bluetooth. I would have liked that feature too
    10-11-2015 05:58 AM
    Its a shame. Thats almost a must for runners?

I dont get it. So with all the testing going around with the band, and none of the joggers or programmers never though how much better it would be to run without a phone?
    10-12-2015 10:08 PM
    Can the band at least control music playback from the phone?
    10-12-2015 10:18 PM
    Can the band at least control music playback from the phone?
    Perhaps with a add-on app. I don't know of any such app that is included out of the box.
    10-12-2015 11:30 PM
    There is already an app to control music from the band (Forward a Track, Repeat a Track, etc).

Called "Music Band". It will create a new tile that allows for music control of phone from Band.
    10-13-2015 02:26 PM
    This is a HUGE NO NO for MS. Why in the world would they not want to add a simple 1 GB of storage....the cost would have been minimal. What a FREAKING JOKE MS! Get it together!
    10-18-2015 10:08 PM
    This is a HUGE NO NO for MS. Why in the world would they not want to add a simple 1 GB of storage....the cost would have been minimal. What a FREAKING JOKE MS! Get it together!
    Why isn't there a music player in the Band/Band 2 or other similar fitness bands?

Two words: battery life.
    Captain_Eric and ajj3085 like this.
    10-19-2015 11:12 AM
    I'l gladly give up 10% or 20% of battery life for a player. Even the FRUITY guys were able to put a player on their tacky watch/band. Opportunity missed.
    The other FITNESS BANDS are NOT MADE by a PHONE MANUFACTURER..... That is why. Why in the world would MS release a FITNESS Band that CAN control your music WHILE you are doing "FITNESS" stuff, if in order for it to work you need your DAMN PHONE???? my god...
    crg28 likes this.
    10-22-2015 03:08 PM
    I'l gladly give up 10% or 20% of battery life for a player. Even the FRUITY guys were able to put a player on their tacky watch/band. Opportunity missed.
    The other FITNESS BANDS are NOT MADE by a PHONE MANUFACTURER..... That is why. Why in the world would MS release a FITNESS Band that CAN control your music WHILE you are doing "FITNESS" stuff, if in order for it to work you need your DAMN PHONE???? my god...
    Since we are pulling numbers out of the air, how about if it drained 30%-75% battery life?

It's not just Microsoft. Fitbit Surge and other fitness bands also allow music selection from the band and do not include a player for a reason.
    10-22-2015 05:32 PM
    Apple can do it..
    No excuse.

Since we are pulling numbers out of the air, how about if it drained 30%-75% battery life?

It's not just Microsoft. Fitbit Surge and other fitness bands also allow music selection from the band and do not include a player for a reason.
    golfingasu and noersetiawan like this.
    10-22-2015 09:15 PM
    I'm guessing they could make a bluetooth-based player fairly efficient on battery life. But even if there were a substantial cost in battery life, you'd only face that drain when you were actually using the player. For me it would totally be worth it, to need only one device while exercising. But sadly, it doesn't sound like they've planned for this feature.
    10-22-2015 11:33 PM
    Apple can do it..
    No excuse.
    You made me laugh.

Apple Watch prices range from $549 to $1,099.
    DroidUser42 likes this.
    10-23-2015 05:46 AM
    I'm guessing they could make a bluetooth-based player fairly efficient on battery life. But even if there were a substantial cost in battery life, you'd only face that drain when you were actually using the player. For me it would totally be worth it, to need only one device while exercising. But sadly, it doesn't sound like they've planned for this feature.
    The original Band barely makes it past four hours with gps on and with Bluetooth and the display turned off.

To me, the Band is a fitness band first. That's why it has all those sensors built into the device. It doesn't have to be connected to a phone while it is collecting the data.

I don't doubt that Microsoft could design and manufacture $550 to $1,100 fitness bands with a music player like the Apple Watch. Could they sell enough of them is the question.
    10-23-2015 06:00 AM
    Must admit the ability to just use the band to play music while running would have got me buying this.
    toddsay and Jon_Rubinstein like this.
    10-23-2015 06:18 AM
    So you are telling me that in order to put a player in the band along with 1gb of storage, price would have to go up to $550?? Dont be a clown.
    10-23-2015 08:53 AM
    I personally don't like to go out for a walk or bike or whatever without my phone in case of emergency. As a business owner, I'm essentially always on call. There is always a trade off - cost, memory, battery, size. Doing it this way works best for me, but I realize that not everybody is the same.
    10-23-2015 04:01 PM
    Apple can do it..
    No excuse.
    Apple doesn't have GPS.

And yes, adding stuff gets a whole lot more expensive when miniaturizing this much. I'd bet both use custom chips to cram everything in such a compact package.
    ajj3085 likes this.
    10-23-2015 04:46 PM