Band 2 future firmware

sandflo

May 6, 2014
Visit site
When I read that the new Band 2 has a forked firmware and not anything of win 10, I was wondering if a future firmware update might bring Win10 for IoT devices to the Band 2 (or even original Band).
Are there any rumors? Is it technically possible? Or would the IoT version use to much storage capacity?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Doubt it. Win10 IOT seems alpha-quality. May have to wait until Band 3. the third iteration of Microsoft product is always the one that will make an impact

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I consulted the best source I could find. Here's what it had to say:

magic-8-ball.png

:evil:

Aaron_Jones

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Again, I ask, why should I care?

I really don't understand why you guys feel the need to troll threads. If you don't care why respond and take the effort to post in the thread. Obviously, Sandflo is excited about the new device and started a thread out of curiosity. Why are you guys feeling the need to step on it. If you truly did not care you would have just passed by this thread and went to one you do care about.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
When I read that the new Band 2 has a forked firmware and not anything of win 10, I was wondering if a future firmware update might bring Win10 for IoT devices to the Band 2 (or even original Band).
Are there any rumors? Is it technically possible? Or would the IoT version use to much storage capacity?

Band 2, possibly. But from my understanding the original Band will not. I've still got my original band and didn't upgrade. It's possible they could fork the Windows 10 IoT for it. To lower storage capacity requirements. We shall see.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

When you fork software, you're taking an existing codebase, making a branch, and then make changes in that branch and don't intend to take changes from or push changes back into the mainline. So the first question is what did they branch from. I suspect Windows 10, since their stated goal is Windows everywhere. The second question is why fork? Overtime they'd end up with two different, likely incompatible, versions of Window 10, which becomes expensive to maintain, and is again what they are trying to get away from (forced installation of patches is part of this, no more trying to figure out how to patch RTM version vs. SP1, vs. SP2, etc.).

Not that they aren't going the forked route, but it wouldn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Where did you see this?

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
An article on Redmond Magazine says the Band 2 will be running Windows 10 IoT.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/10/16/microsoft-band-2-wish-list.aspx

Also, the article's author says that he doesn't think the original Band was a prototype device as some here on WC have speculated as far back as earlier this year or late last year.
I don't entirely understand, but IIRC that article was originally posted much earlier this year. I remember reading much of it somewhere, including the wish list. Is this an updated reprint? It seems to me, if I'm right, that it now qualifies as "wishful thinking." Given what little I know about device development in general, and wearables in particular, it's way too late to start building an IoT capacity into Band 2.

Now Windows might suddenly decide to produce a Band 2+ that did it, but that's not they're marketing schtick, is it? I think HTC realized their M9 would disappoint and pulled such a strategy, but I think the Band 2 will do fine as is.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I really don't understand why you guys feel the need to troll threads. If you don't care why respond and take the effort to post in the thread. Obviously, Sandflo is excited about the new device and started a thread out of curiosity. Why are you guys feeling the need to step on it. If you truly did not care you would have just passed by this thread and went to one you do care about.
I'm seriously puzzled by the comments that you're referring to - not typical at all for the person in question. I guess as self-appointed forum police (that was sarcasm for those who can't tell by context alone), I'd like to note...to nobody in particular...that it was exactly comments like that, that got a prior forum member banned. Mamma said "if you ain't got something nice to say..." and you know the rest. ;)

-Matt

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I am not trolling. I'm merely trying to understand the benefit of one option vs the other. Maybe everyone else here understands the inherent advantage of Win10 for IoT, but I don't.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Neither Band 1 or 2 will run IoT Windows. It runs a custom firmware optimized for a low power MCU to maximize battery life. IoT Windows is for bigger devices. It's pretty heavy at the moment.

However v3 may gain it as hardware becomes more efficient and they optimize IoT Windows. Maybe. More likely v4.

Microsoft have never shown a slide with a watch in it for the range of Windows devices. There is a good reason for that.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
it doesn't really matter if it runs W10 IoT or not anyways does it? The software already is enough for what the band is supposed to do. I'm looking forward to band2 in hopes that it doesn't peel and metal corrode anymore :D I'll probably try harder with this one to protect it

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I am not trolling. I'm merely trying to understand the benefit of one option vs the other. Maybe everyone else here understands the inherent advantage of Win10 for IoT, but I don't.
Good question.

I recall one podcast that said that the Band (2) runs firmware, but is considered part of the Windows 10 family as it's designed to work with it. That might explain some of the confusion.

Given the Band's limited functions, small size and need for low power, I'm not sure as there's any advantage of putting a full OS on it. I'd think that would require a bigger rom, more RAM, more CPU cycles and more power.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't entirely understand, but IIRC that article was originally posted much earlier this year. I remember reading much of it somewhere, including the wish list. Is this an updated reprint? It seems to me, if I'm right, that it now qualifies as "wishful thinking." Given what little I know about device development in general, and wearables in particular, it's way too late to start building an IoT capacity into Band 2.

Now Windows might suddenly decide to produce a Band 2+ that did it, but that's not they're marketing schtick, is it? I think HTC realized their M9 would disappoint and pulled such a strategy, but I think the Band 2 will do fine as is.

-Matt

If that's the case, I just lost my faith in Redmond Magazine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786