The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-14-2015 05:32 PM
31 12
tools
    When I read that the new Band 2 has a forked firmware and not anything of win 10, I was wondering if a future firmware update might bring Win10 for IoT devices to the Band 2 (or even original Band).
    Are there any rumors? Is it technically possible? Or would the IoT version use to much storage capacity?
    10-16-2015 12:52 AM
    No. Yes. Maybe. Probably. We don't know yet.
    10-16-2015 03:27 AM
    What difference does it make if it does or doesn't?
    10-16-2015 01:40 PM
    While it may run firmware instead of Windows, it's my understanding that it's part of the Windows family of devices.
    10-16-2015 02:26 PM
    Doubt it. Win10 IOT seems alpha-quality. May have to wait until Band 3. the third iteration of Microsoft product is always the one that will make an impact
    10-16-2015 07:57 PM
    I consulted the best source I could find. Here's what it had to say:

10-16-2015 09:46 PM
    Again, I ask, why should I care?
    10-16-2015 10:36 PM
    I really don't understand why you guys feel the need to troll threads. If you don't care why respond and take the effort to post in the thread. Obviously, Sandflo is excited about the new device and started a thread out of curiosity. Why are you guys feeling the need to step on it. If you truly did not care you would have just passed by this thread and went to one you do care about.
    10-17-2015 02:09 AM
    When I read that the new Band 2 has a forked firmware and not anything of win 10, I was wondering if a future firmware update might bring Win10 for IoT devices to the Band 2 (or even original Band).
    Are there any rumors? Is it technically possible? Or would the IoT version use to much storage capacity?
    Band 2, possibly. But from my understanding the original Band will not. I've still got my original band and didn't upgrade. It's possible they could fork the Windows 10 IoT for it. To lower storage capacity requirements. We shall see.
    10-17-2015 02:16 AM
    An article on Redmond Magazine says the Band 2 will be running Windows 10 IoT.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015...wish-list.aspx

Also, the article's author says that he doesn't think the original Band was a prototype device as some here on WC have speculated as far back as earlier this year or late last year.
    10-17-2015 07:11 AM
    When you fork software, you're taking an existing codebase, making a branch, and then make changes in that branch and don't intend to take changes from or push changes back into the mainline. So the first question is what did they branch from. I suspect Windows 10, since their stated goal is Windows everywhere. The second question is why fork? Overtime they'd end up with two different, likely incompatible, versions of Window 10, which becomes expensive to maintain, and is again what they are trying to get away from (forced installation of patches is part of this, no more trying to figure out how to patch RTM version vs. SP1, vs. SP2, etc.).

Not that they aren't going the forked route, but it wouldn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Where did you see this?
    10-17-2015 01:33 PM
    An article on Redmond Magazine says the Band 2 will be running Windows 10 IoT.

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015...wish-list.aspx

Also, the article's author says that he doesn't think the original Band was a prototype device as some here on WC have speculated as far back as earlier this year or late last year.
    I don't entirely understand, but IIRC that article was originally posted much earlier this year. I remember reading much of it somewhere, including the wish list. Is this an updated reprint? It seems to me, if I'm right, that it now qualifies as "wishful thinking." Given what little I know about device development in general, and wearables in particular, it's way too late to start building an IoT capacity into Band 2.

Now Windows might suddenly decide to produce a Band 2+ that did it, but that's not they're marketing schtick, is it? I think HTC realized their M9 would disappoint and pulled such a strategy, but I think the Band 2 will do fine as is.

-Matt
    10-17-2015 06:17 PM
    I really don't understand why you guys feel the need to troll threads. If you don't care why respond and take the effort to post in the thread. Obviously, Sandflo is excited about the new device and started a thread out of curiosity. Why are you guys feeling the need to step on it. If you truly did not care you would have just passed by this thread and went to one you do care about.
    I'm seriously puzzled by the comments that you're referring to - not typical at all for the person in question. I guess as self-appointed forum police (that was sarcasm for those who can't tell by context alone), I'd like to note...to nobody in particular...that it was exactly comments like that, that got a prior forum member banned. Mamma said "if you ain't got something nice to say..." and you know the rest. ;)

-Matt
    10-17-2015 06:21 PM
    I am not trolling. I'm merely trying to understand the benefit of one option vs the other. Maybe everyone else here understands the inherent advantage of Win10 for IoT, but I don't.
    10-17-2015 06:52 PM
    Neither Band 1 or 2 will run IoT Windows. It runs a custom firmware optimized for a low power MCU to maximize battery life. IoT Windows is for bigger devices. It's pretty heavy at the moment.

However v3 may gain it as hardware becomes more efficient and they optimize IoT Windows. Maybe. More likely v4.

Microsoft have never shown a slide with a watch in it for the range of Windows devices. There is a good reason for that.
    10-17-2015 07:33 PM
    I don't know you so wouldn't have a clue why YOU should care. But I'll go out on a limb and guess its because you're a SNAG.

RumoredNow likes this.
    10-17-2015 10:04 PM
    I don't know you so wouldn't have a clue why YOU should care. But I'll go out on a limb and guess its because you're a SNAG.

You're barking up the wrong tree, Sparky.
    10-17-2015 11:18 PM
    it doesn't really matter if it runs W10 IoT or not anyways does it? The software already is enough for what the band is supposed to do. I'm looking forward to band2 in hopes that it doesn't peel and metal corrode anymore :D I'll probably try harder with this one to protect it
    10-19-2015 03:08 PM
    I am not trolling. I'm merely trying to understand the benefit of one option vs the other. Maybe everyone else here understands the inherent advantage of Win10 for IoT, but I don't.
    Good question.

I recall one podcast that said that the Band (2) runs firmware, but is considered part of the Windows 10 family as it's designed to work with it. That might explain some of the confusion.

Given the Band's limited functions, small size and need for low power, I'm not sure as there's any advantage of putting a full OS on it. I'd think that would require a bigger rom, more RAM, more CPU cycles and more power.
    10-19-2015 03:14 PM
    I don't entirely understand, but IIRC that article was originally posted much earlier this year. I remember reading much of it somewhere, including the wish list. Is this an updated reprint? It seems to me, if I'm right, that it now qualifies as "wishful thinking." Given what little I know about device development in general, and wearables in particular, it's way too late to start building an IoT capacity into Band 2.

Now Windows might suddenly decide to produce a Band 2+ that did it, but that's not they're marketing schtick, is it? I think HTC realized their M9 would disappoint and pulled such a strategy, but I think the Band 2 will do fine as is.

-Matt
    If that's the case, I just lost my faith in Redmond Magazine.
    10-19-2015 06:46 PM
    ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
    Last edited by Aaron_Jones; 10-20-2015 at 11:17 AM.
    10-19-2015 09:14 PM
    Relax Aaron, I'm on your side. :) When I said "I'm seriously puzzled," I wasn't referring to you -- I was AGREEING with you...I was talking about the same post you were complaining about.

-Matt
    Aaron_Jones likes this.
    10-20-2015 09:32 AM
    I apologize, please forgive me... I misunderstood.
    gadgetrants likes this.
    10-20-2015 11:15 AM
    As I started reading through this thread, I was wondering the same as David Lohrentz. He may have been rather blunt in his asking, but I think it is very relevant to the discussion and did not see any intention of trolling on his part.

The Band performs very specific tasks and has a small screen to interact with and display information. For those who are disappointed that the Band 2 was announced without Windows 10 IoT, some of us are just curious where that disappointment comes from. What benefits would the wearable gain by being a Windows 10 device? Why is running that OS better/more exciting than a device that runs a dedicated firmware and performs its designed purposes efficiently?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    10-20-2015 11:27 AM
    The only reason why it could matter is upgrades. Presumably W10 IoT will be continuously upgraded over the next 5-10 years. The original Band and Band 2 (apparently) run off firmware that Microsoft may or may not upgrade. The last build for the original Band was 10.3.3304.0.09 R. With the Band 2 coming soon, is that it for the original Band?
    10-20-2015 01:35 PM
31 12