Microsoft Band 2 Iphone Features

Bull94

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know if any of the features that didn't work with the iphone on the first band work with the second? For example the quick replys, or the keyboard?

oezkanp

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
The missing features on band1 are because of the restrictions from apple on their interface... So the band2 will / can not have the features, too. ;-)

Bull94

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm not so sure that's true. For example my non apple Bluetooth headphones are able to activate Siri. I spoke to an employee at the microsoft store last week and he said its microsofts doing to try and push non microsoft phone users to get a Microsoft phone. Which makes sense but Microsoft knows they can't steal apples customers so their best bet would be to allow the features to work and get more revenue from more people buying the band.

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not so sure that's true. For example my non apple Bluetooth headphones are able to activate Siri. I spoke to an employee at the microsoft store last week and he said its microsofts doing to try and push non microsoft phone users to get a Microsoft phone. Which makes sense but Microsoft knows they can't steal apples customers so their best bet would be to allow the features to work and get more revenue from more people buying the band.

The Band could activate Siri if Microsoft had designed it to as well, but they would be sort of a silly thing for them to do.

If anything, I'm thinking that the Band 2 and Cortana will be able to work on Android nearly as well as it works with a Windows Phone.

At least I'm hoping it will :wink:.

mfm77

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

I cannot imagine any scenario that would have Microsoft (or Apple) allowing Siri to access the Band, or Cortana for iOS (rumored to be in production) to do the same thing. Sure, Bluetooth headphones might be able to do this, but they're not directly competing with Windows Phones or iPhones. Microsoft already has allowed for basic interactions between iOS/Android and the Band; anything more than that likely will require a user to buy a Windows Phone. Now, if Microsoft ditches phones altogether, more access might take place. Other than that, what we see is what we'll get.

As much as I have enjoyed my Band 1, it's definitely on its last legs. I had a chance yesterday to see the Band 2 in person, and it's a marked improvement from version 1 in terms of cosmetics. However, for an iOS user, the new Band doesn't offer anything different from the old one, and for me, that's disappointing. I love the Band's health features, but part of the reason I bought it was for the smartwatch-esque features. I'm not about to plunk down $225 for what essentially is the same product as the one I own, at least from a software perspective.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I cannot imagine any scenario that would have Microsoft (or Apple) allowing Siri to access the Band, or Cortana for iOS (rumored to be in production) to do the same thing. Sure, Bluetooth headphones might be able to do this, but they're not directly competing with Windows Phones or iPhones. Microsoft already has allowed for basic interactions between iOS/Android and the Band; anything more than that likely will require a user to buy a Windows Phone. Now, if Microsoft ditches phones altogether, more access might take place. Other than that, what we see is what we'll get.

Microsoft is very much cross platform these days, look at the office suite, OneDrive, etc. In fact Windows Phone users complain that other platforms get the best stuff first, I don't know if that's true or not but the sentiment is there. So I don't see why they wouldn't want to bring as many Band features to each platform as they can.

Technically I don't know what the limitation would be. The Bluetooth headphones and other devices like head units, etc. are just using standard Bluetooth protocols, like TCS & AVCTP, for starting Siri/Google Now/Cortana & controlling media playback. The Band could use these same protocols to achieve the same effect. That would be limited though, you wouldn't get the 2-way communication you get with Cortana where results can be displayed on the Band it would just start Siri, listen for your command through the Band's microphone and then direct you to 'complete this action on your phone'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs