[Quick Impressions] Who Has Gotten Band 2?

Fritz Anker

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Got mine delivered Friday and initial impressions were very good: Packaging was done very well , the look and feel is certainly premium, and the fit is light years ahead of the V1.

Clasp took some time to get used to - not just its looks, but the way it clasps. It doesn't help that since it's metal on metal I try to be extra careful not to scratch it.

The display is bright, responsive, and much easier to use. However, my first reaction was also that its convergence seems off. The red is especially off and I sometimes feel as if I am looking at a 3D image without the glasses. It's not bad, just noticeable. I didn't remember this on the display unit at the MS store - but went back to look at it again today and it was actually worse than mine. So, it is what it is. It's smooth, easy to use and bright - so win.

Only other initial thought - had trouble connecting to my 1020 running W10 mobile TP, but starting over worked and then had to do it once more to get the keyboard to connect.

Since then, a few other notables.

1) The display is bright, but not bright enough to easily see it outside. Especially wearing sunglasses. This is no different than V1.
2) Seems to take a bit longer to charge but early to tell. Battery life seems same - about a day or two short.
3) Floor counting seems wonky. I feel now after a day or so, it may be just collecting elevation and dividing by 10 feet. Not sure but I don't remember climbing 45 floors today.
4) Notifications still do not clear in either direction. Get a notification on the phone? Yeah. Clear it. Still have to clear it on the band and vice versa - same as V1 just as annoying.
5) UV tracking/alerts are a nice addition.
6) Glance for clock. This is a must and is great.
7) Trying out the wake me when I'm ready. Half hour window is pretty big, but so far I'm not groggy.
8) HRM seems to lock more quickly. I wear mine screen down.
9) So far, no marks on my wrists from sensors. Just farmer's tan.
10) The app and sync is still clunky and very very slow. It may be W10M but honestly don't remember it being any better with W8.1

So, in short this is a V1 in a much nicer, better fitting package with a better display, and a few extra additions. And worth every penny. I loved the V1 and love this so much more. The hardware is now ready for prime time and I can't wait for the software to catch up to it. ...which is odd since Microsoft built the thing.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I got mine yesterday. A few impressions:

The Band 2 is unquestionably nicer than the first gen model and the display is great.

The clasp is similar to the first gen, but it seems a bit more troublesome to lock into place. Frequently, I'll put it on, think it's in place and feel into position afterwards. Not a big deal because once it's locked it feels secure.

Syncing takes noticeably longer and doesn't always update on the first attempt. This is using the same device and OS I had with the original Band, WP 8.1 and a Lumia 920. On the flip side it does seem to update on it's own more frequently.

Comfort is the big hangup for me. The Band 2 is arguably more comfortable than the first gen, but the improvement isn't dramatic. In fact, it feels a lot like the wearing the first one. In some positions it's not bad, but I'll move my wrist and the Band shifts into a position where it's uncomfortable. So all day long I'm shifting it so that it's more comfortable. I didn't feel it so much on a long walk during lunch, but the first Band was similar in that regard.

I will admit that it might be me. I haven't worn other fitness bands so I can't speak to how those compare to this.

Adalberto Rossette

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello.
Measure my wrist with the pdf from the Microsoft site, and he indicated exactly on the line where it ends/starts the size M/L. Which size you would indicate?!
Thank you!

d0m1

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Hello.
Measure my wrist with the pdf from the Microsoft site, and he indicated exactly on the line where it ends/starts the size M/L. Which size you would indicate?!
Thank you!

They suggest that if it lands on the line, to get the next size up. So in your case, the Large.

I would not be so sure about that. Many who had a large Band 1 now have a medium Band 2.. Paul Thurrott wrote: "And while Microsoft sells Band 2 in three sizes like the first version, each size is a bit bigger than before." For the Band 1 it was true that if you were just in between two sizes it was recommended to take the next size up. First I had a small Band 1 but it was too small and I ended up with a medium Band 1. I now have a Medium Band 2 and am considering swapping it for a small and I was exactly in between size small and medium..

sabichan

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue, my wrist is right between the M/L range. I went with the large, it works and I won't be returning it, but I wear it on the very first click, any bigger and it's a little too loose. If I was wearing a normal watch that I usually like a little looser, it wouldn't be an issue but for me to get a good read on the heart rate it'd be too loose.

Andrew Elliott

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue, my wrist is right between the M/L range. I went with the large, it works and I won't be returning it, but I wear it on the very first click, any bigger and it's a little too loose. If I was wearing a normal watch that I usually like a little looser, it wouldn't be an issue but for me to get a good read on the heart rate it'd be too loose.

I have a similar dilemma, could you tell me the circumference of your wrist? I ordered the large and wont be able to return it if it is too small as I have to import it :S

Adalberto Rossette

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
This is a problem for me, because I'm going to order and deliver outside of the US. I'm from Brazil and if I buy the wrong size is hard to make the switch for the right size. =\

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I bought a medium, as my Band 1 was also a medium and I had some room before it it reached it's (tightest) limit. The Band 2 medium is a bit larger and I have to wear it on the lowest clasp setting which is a bit annoying. I find this really strange as my wrist measures 6 7/8" which fits well within the medium range according to their fit guide and is above the small.

I'm wondering if the fit is my heart rate problem. During non-workout times of the day, my heart rate reading is where it should be, in the mid-60's. But when I go to the gym and use an elliptical machine it can read in the 200's (about 50 off other devices). I should have passed out by now according to the Band 2. :amaze:

Anyone seeing these erroneous HR readings on elliptical machines? I wonder if it has to do with the arm movement.

Jon_Rubinstein

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Me too. I ended up with the large. Reason being that at the tightest setting, the clasp looks better than when I had the medium at a looser setting.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
It is a very elegant design and this is a big part of success for any watch. I'm wearing it on the outside of my wrist so it is a little awkward to read the display but the size of the characters more than makes up for it.

I very much like the Cortana reply feature as well as the preset reply options for texts.

It is going to make me healthier, I'm taking the steps as much as possible and actually going to sleep when I go to bed so I can track the data.

After I've had it paired to my Icon for a couple of days it has begun to import the names of my contacts and display them rather than the phone number.

Job well done, Microsoft!

driedl

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyone seeing these erroneous HR readings on elliptical machines? I wonder if it has to do with the arm movement.
YES!!! I used an elliptical yesterday and my heart rate was about 40 BPM high throughout. Since getting my Band 2 I've gone for a GPS run, a treadmill walk and a row on an erg. Those activities showed a HR consistent with band 1 so I was surprised when the elliptical was crazy high. I didn't have that problem on an elliptical with B1 so I'm not sure why B2 is so easily confused. I'm sure it can be addressed with a software update.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
After a few days of use, here are just a few quick observations as compared to the Band 1.

1. When charging, the Band 2 goes up 1% at a time rather than being stuck at 80 or 85% and then suddenly being at 100%.
2. I find the shape/size much more comfortable and fits better under my button dress shirts. I have a medium that I'm on and
use the tightest setting and leaning towards keeping that size. I might go try a small, but the medium is working for me.
3. I noticed when traveling yesterday that the Band 2 does not add steps while driving. That was a little annoying with the
Band 1. If I drove for awhile I would end up having steps added to my total. So, at least so far, it seems they have fixed that. 4. The step counter is nice, but not sure how accurate it really is. I'll continue to monitor that.
5. The screen is much nicer and seems more responsive (not that the Band 1 was horrible).
6. The tilt to see the clock mode is a nice touch and do use that setting.
7. The sleep mode seems to be about the same, and it seems that the heart monitor works better. I'll continue to monitor that.

Those are my observations thus far. For me, worth spending for. Besides, my Band 1 was starting to act strange and so I think it might have been on it's last legs. It was turning off fairly often at night when sleeping.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I want to give an update since I had been complaining about comfort.

After wearing my Band a couple of days I'm finding it far more comfortable. In fact, I'm finding it considerably more comfortable than the original Band.

I'm also finding that it bangs into stuff much less frequently at my desk than the first gen did. And it slips under sleeves more easily.

The only annoyance at this point steps from the app on my phone. The app constantly gets stuck syncing. But it seems like it's the app doesn't register that the band has already finished its update.

For example, every time I update tiles the Band is done and ready within 5-10 seconds, but the phone gets stuck on the syncing screen. I can back out of it without closing the app, but then the it always asks to confirm the changes. The app seems to think that the changes haven't been saved even though a quick look at the watch shows that they have.

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
<firstworldproblem>

just want to add the "new & improved" charging clasp is beyond annoying compared to the Band 1. the 1's would just be pulled into place with the magnet, very slick (and I think it didn't matter which direction it was in when attached). with the Band 2 you have to precisely align it because there is a tiny plastic lip on the side of the square fitting. obviously the directionality matters which is why they did it, but sheesh, it's a step backwards from what it was.

</firstworldproblem>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss