03-17-2017 12:27 PM
196 12345 ...
tools
    I too have the issue with the Band 2 registering a too high heart rate.

I have a treadmill that displays my heart rate based on input from: across one hand (split metal handle), across left to right hand, and a chest strap. So I get a fairly accurate HR reading when I am holding on the handles and walking fast on an incline (all three inputs have a weighted average on the HR calculation). When I run, the HR reading is from the chest strap only (not holding onto the handles).

I also have been wearing a FitBit Surge all year. I find the Surge' HR to be fairly close to the treadmill's HR. The Surge does have issues when I first start warming up and when I start sweating heavily. The warm up issue, I believe, is due to my aging heart value (some back flow that throws off the optical blood motion sensing), and occasional A-fib that causes my heart to beat too fast (but slows down to normal once I warm up).

Past four days I have the Band 2 on my left wrist and the Surge on the right. The heart rate of the Band 2 is way too high. Last night, about 5 minutes into my treadmill walk/run, the Band was showing a HR of 180 while the Surge and treadmill were at 90. After the workout the Band showed a starting HR 70 and ramping up 145 in five minutes. The HR then slowly drifted up to a peak of 183. I did not see the 180 reading at the 5 minute mark like I saw on the watch face. Now did I see the HR change appropriately to the treadmill's incline and speed settings; it just basically stayed in an oscillating 145-180 range.

The Surge had the same starting HR (70) and the HR tracked accurately the transition from walking up a 15 degree incline, to running slow at 2 degrees incline, followed by a steady increase in speed. The peak HR for the Surge was 145 (fairly close to the treadmill reading).
    Last edited by BlueCube4; 11-06-2015 at 09:57 AM.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    11-05-2015 10:14 AM
    I too have the issue with the Band 2 registering a too high heart rate.

I have a treadmill that displays my heart rate based on input from: across one hand (split metal handle), across left to right hand, and a chest strap. So I get a fairly HR reading when I am holding on the handles and walking fast on an incline (all three inputs have a weighted average on the HR calculation). When I run, the HR reading is from the chest strap only (not holding onto the handles).

I also have been wearing a FitBit Surge all year. I find the Surge' HR to be fairly close to the treadmill's HR. The Surge does have issues when I first start warming up and when I start sweating heavily. The warm up issue, I believe, is due to my aging heart value (some back flow that throws off the optical blood motion sensing), and occasional A-fib that causes my heart to beat too fast (but slows down to normal once I warm up).

Past four days I have the Band 2 on my left wrist and the Surge on the right. The heart rate of the Band 2 is way too high. Last night, about 5 minutes into my treadmill walk/run, the Band was showing a HR of 180 while the Surge and treadmill were at 90. After the workout the Band showed a starting HR 70 and ramping up 145 in five minutes. The HR then slowly drifted up to a peak of 183. I did not see the 180 reading at the 5 minute mark like I saw on the watch face. Now did I see the HR change appropriately to the treadmill's incline and speed settings; it just basically stayed in an oscillating 145-180 range.

The Surge had the same starting HR (70) and the HR tracked accurately the transition from walking up a 15 degree incline, to running slow at 2 degrees incline, followed by a steady increase in speed. The peak HR for the Surge was 145 (fairly close to the treadmill reading).
    Looks like too many people are having this same issue that I had also with Band 1. I took mine to the Aventura Mall (Miami- nearest store to me over 110 miles but I was there on business today) store today to show them my issue with the HR and the low vibration action (even on high) The demo models don't have a setting for trying the vibration so they just gave me a new one. Seems just like the old... very weak

On the HR issue, they did not have a clue. One of the sales people I spoke with was wearing one and does a fair amount of cycling and he says he has not experienced the problem yet. Perhaps it is just a few of us. But I still don't understand why when shutting down he run or bike app it goes back to a normal ready on the me tile. I will try the new one in the morning on my next ride
    11-05-2015 06:04 PM
    I've been trying to compare the charts from the Band 2 and the Garmin monitor from that cycling activity I mentioned earlier. Was interested to note that although the graphs look quite different, the overall results compare quite closely. The Band reported a peak HR of 154 bpm, while the Garmin reported a peak of 158. Average HR on the Band was 134 bpm, while the Garmin reported an average of 127. Not that much difference, when you consider how radically different the two graphs appear. I'm not at all sure whether what I'm seeing is a true 'apples to apples' comparison, due to differences in the manner in which the charts are constructed and displayed. Too bad it isn't possible to export a .fit or .tcx file from MS Health so that you could view the results on a common platform.

Also, going strictly from recollection, the graph for the Band does not appear to contain readings as high as what I recall seeing on the Band's screen at the time. Makes me wonder whether there is some 'smoothing' or 'massaging' of the raw data going on there.

I think the calorie burn is exaggerated as well. 744 calories burned for a one hour trainer session - which while admittedly fairly strenuous, still contained close to 30 minutes of easy spinning - seems pretty optimistic. My Garmin reported it as 484 calories. Given the choice, I'd love to take the 744, but I think 484 is more realistic.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    11-05-2015 06:58 PM
    Also, going strictly from recollection, the graph for the Band does not appear to contain readings as high as what I recall seeing on the Band's screen at the time. Makes me wonder whether there is some 'smoothing' or 'massaging' of the raw data going on there.
    Were those high readings "unlocked" (hollow heart)? If so, they weren't saved.

I think the calorie burn is exaggerated as well. 744 calories burned for a one hour trainer session - which while admittedly fairly strenuous, still contained close to 30 minutes of easy spinning - seems pretty optimistic. My Garmin reported it as 484 calories. Given the choice, I'd love to take the 744, but I think 484 is more realistic.
    I'm pretty sure that calorie is a function of HR. If HR is off, calorie will be as well.
    11-05-2015 10:48 PM
    Bugs/Issues I've had so far:
    1) Display non-responsive while charging
    2) After getting a full charge, the unit resets some local settings such as time to 24hr mode
    3) Battery life is only lasting around 2 days tops. Just charging during my shower is not long enough to reach full charge. By the 2nd day I need to leave it overnight on the charger.
    4) Alerts come over delayed. I will get a notice of an incoming call minutes after its ended.

Other than the lack of apps that work on Band 2 with Windows 10, I like the new unit. Also really like the new AP tile. I do not use it as a fitness tracker.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    11-05-2015 11:15 PM
    Perhaps the reason for the HR problems is a new integration of the GSR for supplementing the HR readings while excercising. Over on the Microsoft forums one of our posters here mentioned that you can get a lock on the HR by just bridging the GSR taps (It works) and not using the optical sensor. It looks like they may be using that during exercise along with the optical to save battery life since they are sampling every second with exercise and much longer duration with the watch idle. It may be the moisture on the skin that is throwing it off then as it usually doe not start to jump around until I start to sweat.
    erichyde43 likes this.
    11-06-2015 04:52 AM
    New band, same HR problem. (see image) HR spikes within the first 10 minutes. Maybe it is the shape of my arm, or the composition of my sweat, but it is not the specific band (Two Band 2 one Band 1) When I stopped and dried off my arm and the band it recovered for a few minutes then eventually spiked again. Not sure if this is like stopping the app which also restores the normal HR reading or sweat thing. Either way, they have to have designed this thing to allow you to sweat! Without HR, as a fitness tracker it is useless. I am going to give it next week without looking at it constantly and see the overall results. I hope there is a software fix otherwise I have to give up on it.hr.jpg
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    11-06-2015 08:13 AM
    Two runs within 20 days of each other. One recorded on Band 1, other on Band 2. Same course, same distance, almost exact same duration (within 2 seconds). Same time and weather (temp). Quite a difference in heart rate. Maybe Band 2 is more accurate? Maybe Band 1? I don't have another device to compare these with, but they are markedly different.

band1.jpg
    runband2.jpg
    Last edited by HSolo; 11-06-2015 at 09:32 AM.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    11-06-2015 08:40 AM
    My normal HR when riding every morning runs from 90-115 and if I push it 125 max. You can see the chart that the low points are my normal HR. The other high points are the 50 BPM surge that happens everytime I work out with the band. Run, Bike, even the workout tile when my HR gets above 100 and I sweat, it spikes and with the run and bike app, it stays there for quite a long time. Why shutting down the app or taking the band off my wrist for a few minutes restores it tells me it has something to do with the software and the combination of the various sensors used by the fitness apps. Monitoring my HR with no fitness app running it never goes above normal. Tomorrow I am going to leave the band on no app, ride my bike and use the band senor monitor on my phone to watch it and see it spikes without having any fitness app running. And as a side note, when I had this problem with Band 1 I ran it simultaneously with my timex chest strap monitor and the chest strap was normal the entire time.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    11-06-2015 08:51 AM
    Latest W10 build and not getting texts.
    Same here. Notifications are listed okay, but I need to drill in to see them, as they don't pop up. I just now ran a test call to my cell. The Band2 popped up with an alert on who was calling a couple of minutes after the test. But texts never to do pop up.
    11-06-2015 10:36 AM
    Using a 640XL with W10M on it. I have noticed issues with counting stairs, battery, notifications, & sleep. I have been up and down stairs since I bought the B2 on release day, none but a few get recorded. The battery life seems to be draining quickly and I have made adjustments to try and reduce battery usage. Notification are slow to show up on my B2. For sleep, is the B2 supposed to be auto-detecting sleep like the B1 did?? I have used the sleep function a few times and it kept showing that I never woke up, when I know I did once or twice to use the bathroom. I am also not a very still sleeper. usually with the B1 that I had it would report that I woke up 4-5 times.

I think I am going to un-pair it and do a factory reset first. Test again and then will call MS support if it keeps happening.

No one should be "chalking it up" to anything. Like it being new or those that have the B2 being "early adopters". MS went through this with B1 so they have lived and learned. Yes they added some new stuff but we should not be having this many issues with this second version. WTF?? So, if it doesn't work correctly do a factory reset and if it still doesn't work either take it back to the store to troubleshoot or call MS support. I paid a lot of $$ for this and I'll be damned if I am not going to get what I paid for. Especially since how highly MS praised this device when they announced it.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    11-06-2015 11:04 AM
    Results from today's indoor cycling activity yielded better hr results in comparison to the strap. Aside from a rapid and short-lived spike to 151 (when it should have been in the high 90's) within the first 5 minutes, the Band tracked within a beat or two with the strap through the entire workout. I think its a software/algorithm issue that can be corrected. Average rate for the workout was within 3 bpm, which is pretty respectable, I'd think. I don't expect them to be identical, because of the differing methodologies involved, as long as they 'trend' similarly, and don't end up wildly differing.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    11-06-2015 11:50 AM
    Results from today's indoor cycling activity yielded better hr results in comparison to the strap. Aside from a rapid and short-lived spike to 151 (when it should have been in the high 90's) within the first 5 minutes, the Band tracked within a beat or two with the strap through the entire workout. I think its a software/algorithm issue that can be corrected. Average rate for the workout was within 3 bpm, which is pretty respectable, I'd think. I don't expect them to be identical, because of the differing methodologies involved, as long as they 'trend' similarly, and don't end up wildly differing.
    I wish my results were as stable as yours. My spikes last for 1/3 of a 30 minute ride each time (see graph in previous post). It is not just an occasional "blip" it is the norm for me. I eco Jcrod73. This should have all be fleshed out in testing. If I was the only one with this problem I would accept that there is something unique about my physiology. It is true that I have a peripheral neuropathy (A type of Muscular Dystrophy) and my nerve conduction studies are abnormal as expected. But I don't think any of this technology has anything to do with nerve conduction but rather blood flow and how it articulates the skin. I can not find any correlation with the GSR readings while the HR goes whacky. They are all over the place at any give time whether HR is running true or not.
    11-06-2015 12:27 PM
    Cortana is still showing a # and if I open it and look there is news etc in there. This despite the fact that the app on my phone shows that to be OFF.

The sleep mode doesnt accurately reflect sleep. It is reporting shorter fall-asleep time and total sleep time is longer than actual sleep time.
    11-06-2015 12:54 PM
    I have a 10 mile run scheduled for Sunday. I'm going to wear both my Band 1 and my Band 2 on different wrists. I already have my "old" Band 1 synced to my wife's phone and health account. That should give me a good real-time comparison between readings on the two Bands. I'll post the graphs on Monday.
    11-06-2015 12:57 PM
    New band, same HR problem. (see image) HR spikes within the first 10 minutes. Maybe it is the shape of my arm, or the composition of my sweat, but it is not the specific band (Two Band 2 one Band 1) When I stopped and dried off my arm and the band it recovered for a few minutes then eventually spiked again.
    For me with Band 1, the problem was almost always related to motion. If you can stop and just sit still, it would lock on and be accurate with a chest strap. But motion, particularly flexing the arm, tended to throw it off. Which makes sense - if you flex your arm, wouldn't that create a "pulse" of blood that goes with the flex? I think for some things, like walking, it tries to use it's motion sensors to ignore the results of flexing - but it may not fully understand all types of flexing motion.
    11-06-2015 02:41 PM
    I'm on Band 2 with Lumia 830, WP 8.1 Update 2.

I tried alle the steps read elsewhere with turning notifications on an off in the notification center with no effect. I have three accounts on my Lumia:

live.com
    Exchange account 1
    Exchange account 2 (different organization)

Reading several posts I understood, that syncing all emails of all accounts configured on my Windows Phone to the Band 2 should be standard behaviour, right?

That ist the only thing that ist not working in my Band 2. Appointments of all accounts are being synced for example, that's another confusing thing for me.

Here's what I've done so far:
    Bluetooth --> checked
    Correct Pairing --> checked
    Latest Updates --> checked
    Checked notification Setting on my WP --> done
    Rechecked notification settings on my WP --> done
    Checked Setting for the tiles in the Health app --> done
    Set language to Englisch --> done
    Deleted and reinstalled Health app --> done
    Factory reset of the Band 2 --> done
    Repairing and re-registering the BAND 2 with the app --> done

Still just syncing one account, not the two Exchange-accounts.

Is this a bug or am I just not finding the right button...
    11-08-2015 05:41 AM
    My issue is the band showing my steps and calories way off. Midday I'm at 2496 steps and 1313 calories burned. I'm sitting at my desk today. Same goes when it syncs to the app. I don't wear it at night, so maybe that's why? It should adjust for the date, so I'm not sure what the problem is. The calorie count seems to be high as well. P90x registered at about 780 calories for 52 minutes.
    11-09-2015 03:03 PM
    I don't wear it at night, so maybe that's why? It should adjust for the date,
    It should be using Midnight to Midnight for a day's tracking. Irrespective of your schedule.
    11-09-2015 03:50 PM
    My issue is the band showing my steps and calories way off. Midday I'm at 2496 steps and 1313 calories burned. I'm sitting at my desk today. Same goes when it syncs to the app. I don't wear it at night, so maybe that's why? It should adjust for the date, so I'm not sure what the problem is. The calorie count seems to be high as well. P90x registered at about 780 calories for 52 minutes.
    Definitely something up with that. If anything, I find the Band 2 to be more conservative with steps than Band 1 was. Hmm, do you have 'motion sense' (I think that's what they call it) set up to bring step tracking in from your phone? I've heard of that causing problems and inflating step counts. If that's not it, then you might consider trying un-registering and re-registering the Band, sort of a 'factory reset'. After that I think I'd be calling customer support to get a replacement, or a visit to the MS store if you have one nearby.
    11-09-2015 06:14 PM
    The pace readout in running mode doesn't work as I expected it to. I thought it would be an average pace since your last split, but it's actually a real time readout of your current pace. This is fine, except for the fact that it's not averaged out, say, over the last few seconds and fluctuates so wildly it's almost useless.
    If I glance at my wrist for a few seconds it will jump from a 10 minute pace to a sub 7 minute pace. This leads me to believe even when using the GPS it's not actually using the current GPS data in determining pace. I bet because of battery/processing constraints it's using stride length and the gyros to get your pace. Kind of bummed out by this... thoughts?
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    11-09-2015 06:19 PM
    I have a Band 2 and using it with a Lumia 1520, with the latest build of Windows Mobile 10, what kind of problems are you experiencing.
    11-10-2015 10:44 AM
    My band 2 doesn't sync with the desktop app after I updated the software. Am not sure if it was syncing before then since i hardly ever use the app, but decided to check it out to see what the update might be. I am using W10 and the computer accurately recognizes the band 2 as being connected, but the desktop sync app keeps asking me to connect the band.
    I have the same problem. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the desktop program. I have tried connecting it to both PC and Surface Pro 3, both using Windows 10. The Band is listed as a connected device but the Microsoft Band app doesn't list it as connected. The Band 2 connects to my Android phone perfectly via Bluetooth and otherwise the Band 2 is working perfectly.
    11-10-2015 11:27 AM
    I really like the Smart Alarm feature in sleep mode. It would be better if you could set it for weekdays only.
    11-10-2015 03:44 PM
    So I did a few experiments with regards to the HR monitoring:
    On Saturday I did a 10 mile run with the Band on my left wrist (sync'd with my wife's phone), and the Band 2 on my right wrist, to compare HR for the run. The HR for the Band was what I expected (around 165 and constant), while the HR with the Band 2 was higher and climbing. Again, the workout was shown as "Strenuous" on the Band 2 (never had a "Strenuous" until Band 2), while the Band was "Highly Improving".
    Last night I wore the Band 2 on the outside of my wrist for a 5 mile run. Below you can see the comparison between a run a few days ago with the Band 2 on the inside of my wrist (same distance), and last night's run with regards to HR. Last nights HR with the Band 2 on the outside of my wrist was what I would expect.
    Conclusion: Once HR is elevated, the Band 2 worn on the inside wrist does not measure HR correctly. Keep in mind that they moved the HR sensor from behind the clasp, to behind the display. So with the HR sensor on the outside of my wrist rather than the inside with the Band 2, it seems to be measuring correctly. Someone had mentioned that perhaps the pulse through the veins when worn on the inside means that the HR sensor is thrown off. This seems to be the case. I will run with the Band 2 display (and therefore HR sensor) worn on the outside of my wrist from now on.

Band 2 worn on inside 5-mile run, followed by Band 2 worn on outside 5-mile run below:

runband2normal.jpg

runband2outside.jpg
    danckel and Captain_Eric like this.
    11-11-2015 02:07 PM
196 12345 ...