Band 1 Complete Care/Band 2

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I have wore my Band 1 almost every day since I bought it last October. Last week, the clasp broke off (ripped) of the Band. I would like to get the Band 2. Is there any chance they will give me a deal on Band 2? I haven't seen any word of a trade in program.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen anything official, just some word of mouth. The MicrosoftStore indicated there is a trade in program for used equipment. Since your device would be replaced with another Band 1, you should get the best appraisal on the trade-in program. How much credit that would be, I don't know.

It may also be worth waiting to see how sales goes. If B2 sales drags, MS might start some competitive offers or a black Friday special. I've got a working B1 and that's my plan if the trade-in looks weak.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Good news...I took a trip up to my local MS store and they only asked that I pay the difference between what I paid and the Band 2 + the $30 deductible. Around $80 later, I have a new Band 2. Love the MS customer service!

Alexander Galvez

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Wow!! I wish your reps worked at my local MS Store. I don't understand why they do not all operate the same? When I went to mine, the first guy told me there was no trade-in/credit program. The second person I spoke with told me they would give me $10 for the band..$13 if I had the charger. Ill try again today and see if I can get a different response.

kittengirl

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Good news...I took a trip up to my local MS store and they only asked that I pay the difference between what I paid and the Band 2 + the $30 deductible. Around $80 later, I have a new Band 2. Love the MS customer service!

Did they by chance not have any of the originals in stock for replacement? They wouldn't do this at my store, and here they do tend to be pretty flexible, so I ended up with a brand new original Band for free, plus my new Band 2 which I paid full price for.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I tried this got nowhere. The best my store could do is give me something like $13.50 for my old Band 1. When I told them about your experience, they suggested that it was because that store was out of the Band 1 in your size. (They also said that Band 1 was now $99.)

So, my current plan:
  • As long as I have Complete, keep checking until my store runs out of Band 1s. Upgrade at that point.
  • At the end of November, when my Complete runs out, exchange for a new Band 1 to get more time.
  • Wait for a good price (Black Friday?) or a compelling reason to upgrade.
  • Or if my Band 1 dies completely upgrade at that point.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Did they by chance not have any of the originals in stock for replacement? They wouldn't do this at my store, and here they do tend to be pretty flexible, so I ended up with a brand new original Band for free, plus my new Band 2 which I paid full price for.

They gave me a choice between a brand new Band 1 for the cost if the deductible or the Band 2. Honestly, I wondered at the time if he was doing the right thing but I wasn't about to question it.

I did take the time to establish a nice rapport with the guy. Sometimes that can male a difference.

The_Guest_Who

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
So far, I'm on my third Band1... the metal on the charging connector, as well as the sensor cluster on the clasp, corrode and create raised bubbles that prevent the band from charging - a pretty common occurrence, from what I've read. This happens even though I've taken exquisite care of the device: wiping it off with a clean, slightly damp microfiber cloth every time after a workout and before charging in the morning, making sure to give the metal parts a bit of a scrub to clean off any sweat or buildup. Already, after only 6 weeks, #3 is starting to show small bubbles and discoloration.
I bought Complete as part of my initial purchase (early January 2015) for $20. Each return to the MS Store has been covered by standard warranty, so my Complete coverage should still be intact. My first exchange was swapped out with a refurb, and the last one was swapped out for new. With each exchange, I waited for nearly an hour for them to figure out how to process the exchange.
I had a bad experience handling my wife's 1st gen Surface Pro Complete exchange at this MS store, and I have a bad feeling that I'll get a similar runaround when this Band inevitably fails. I'd like to think this should fall under some sort of "lemon law" and my 3rd exchange should be for a different product or refund, but that depends on your local consumer laws.

TLDR; It depends on your MS Store. I happen to live next to a terrible one, and policies seem to change based on the mood of the manager-on-duty. Since it looks like they'll sell Band1 next to Band2 for at least a little while, I wouldn't bank on getting an upgrade deal.

RyanJo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I was able to switch mine out too. The old one was giving me a rash and the manager said he was authorized to give me $150 in credit towards a new one. Another employee that was there was surprised I was able allowed to switch.

gmtom1

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
How do you "register" your complete plan coverage once you purchase it? I ordered complete with a band 2 from the MS store, but they took so long to get it to me, I just bought another band 2 from my local BB and will be returning the Band 2 I bought from the MS Store. Another problem is I didn't use my MS Account when I made the purchase from the MS Store, so the order doesn't show up in my MS Store history.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
So, my current plan:
  • As long as I have Complete, keep checking until my store runs out of Band 1s. Upgrade at that point.
  • At the end of November, when my Complete runs out, exchange for a new Band 1 to get more time.
  • Wait for a good price (Black Friday?)
Well, this isn't working. No Black Friday specials. The store ran out of Band 1 Mediums and had Band 2 Medium. Perfect, right? Nope. Now I'll have to send in my unit for repair - time, about 1 to 1.5 weeks. No credit toward the Band 2.

Best I can do is a $25 trade-in. $32 if I have the charging cable. That doesn't even counter the $50 price hike from 1 to 2.

Well, suck. I guess I'll have to see what Christmas brings. Maybe I'll get lucky.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
In the UK you can buy "Complete Care" for the Band 2 but if you "pre-ordered" it you can't buy it. The current rules are that you can only buy "Complete for Band 2" now when you order the Band.

Why is Microsoft so stupid again?

People invested in "pre-ordering" but now are not allowed to get "Complete Care".

Regards

Infinidim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos