Microsoft Band 2 for casual reasons

ReckfulVic

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello community,

I was actually curious if it is worth it to get a Microsoft band 2 if I do not plan to use it for any athletic reasons. I've tried searching for others with the similar question but couldn't find a thread so apologies if one already exists.

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I have used my Band 1 for mostly the smart watch functions and to monitor my sleep. I occasionally use the run app if I am going for a hike so I would say yes it would be worth it :grin:

bhatech

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Don't think it suits your needs, a smart watch like Android wear or Apple watch gives you better smart watch functionality assuming you are in Android or iOS. If you are in windows phone that's a different story and probably band 2 is the only great option. But if you are not using it for fitness activities I wouldn't recommend the band 2.

Aaron_Jones

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Band 2 is a God send for me and I do not use the exercise part of the watch. I have it mostly for the notifications (Texts, emails, Cortana News Updates, and Step Counter). On my job I repair machines and it is awesome to have this extension to my phone. I can see who is sending what or who is calling without digging my phone out of my pocket. I have gotten pretty good with the keyboard and so I send a short reply to my texts as well.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I use notifications more than I use fitness. As a smartwatch, it is limited. Compare features and see if what it offers is enough for you.

Even if you don't exercise, it will count your steps and can track your sleep. You may find that motivating to up your game a bit.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you are on Windows Phone it will give you the most complete compatibility.

I'm hardly an athlete. Love the Band 1. I say get the first gen at a more attractive price. The functionality is not much less and you get to try it out. Maybe when Band 3 hits you'll be ready to go all in.

Notifications and Voice Command are great.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
If you are on Windows Phone it will give you the most complete compatibility.

I'm hardly an athlete. Love the Band 1. I say get the first gen at a more attractive price. The functionality is not much less and you get to try it out. Maybe when Band 3 hits you'll be ready to go all in.

Notifications and Voice Command are great.

I'd agree with this. If you aren't using the fitness portion just get a band 1. Band 2 just adds ergonomics and better features for the active user.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I had the band 1 and now have the band 2. I love it! I do not use it for activity tracking at all. I do use it for sleep monitoring and I like the heart rate feature but my primary use is as a messenger/watch. I use it to monitor SMS texts and high level email alerts. The band 2's display and overall fit is a huge improvement over the band 1 IMHO.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I am finding a lot of the Band 1 apps havent yet had their SDK updated to run on Band 2 and/or Windows 10. Some are updating as I contact them, others are waiting for RTM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte