This question is for users that have experience with both the band 1 and band 2. I have no experience with either, but I really like the aesthetics of the band 2 along with the features that both support.

I was able to snag a band 1 at my local target for $100, but from what I've read the band 2 is better overall. Would you say it's worth spending the extra $150 to make the jump to the band 2?
    11-04-2015 08:28 AM
    in my opinion: Yes, definitely. The curved screen is much more responsive and fits way better on the wrist compared to Band 1. There is also no need for a screen protector because of gorilla glass 3. Rotate on to display the time and smart alarm in sleep mode are nice features, too. Barometer and continuous uv-detection are nice to have. But in the end it is really more a question about look and fit..
    kicks and Likwidz like this.
    11-04-2015 09:41 AM
    in my opinion: Yes, definitely. The curved screen is much more responsive and fits way better on the wrist compared to Band 1. There is also no need for a screen protector because of gorilla glass 3. Rotate on to display the time and smart alarm in sleep mode are nice features, too. Barometer and continuous uv-detection are nice to have. But in the end it is really more a question about look and fit..
    I thought the band 1 also had smart alarm. I just recently got rid of my Garmin Forerunner 220 and have been trying to figure out if I want the band or the Garmin 225, 230, or 235
    11-04-2015 10:05 AM
    Whoops, made a mistake on smart alarm
    11-04-2015 02:00 PM
    Absolutely.

Now that I've had the Band 2 for a couple of days I'm finally finding it comfortable and clearly improved over the first gen.

All the positives of the first Band are still there with the second. Additionally, the display on the Band 2 is fantastic and battery life has definitely improved.

More importantly, Microsoft took strides to address the original Band's reliability issues. Of course, it's too soon to be sure, but comparing the two devices it's evident that the Band 2 shouldn't have the same problems.
    kicks and driedl like this.
    11-04-2015 02:14 PM
    Absolutely.

Now that I've had the Band 2 for a couple of days I'm finally finding it comfortable and clearly improved over the first gen.

All the positives of the first Band are still there with the second. Additionally, the display on the Band 2 is fantastic and battery life has definitely improved.

More importantly, Microsoft took strides to address the original Band's reliability issues. Of course, it's too soon to be sure, but comparing the two devices it's evident that the Band 2 shouldn't have the same problems.
    I guess that's another thing to think about. A band 1 purchase is going to have durability issues and need to be replaced sooner than later.
    11-04-2015 02:20 PM
    Not everybody had the issues with Gen 1, but I did and got it replaced on warranty after 6.5 month of use. Mine had corrosion on the battery contact area, and was getting such that I couldn't get it to charge. A lot of people needed 2-3 replacements. There was speculation that the more salt a person had in their perspiration, the more corrosion issues they had.

That should be fixed in Band 2.

For me the Band 2 was a no-brainer:
    Appears to have addressed primary durability problems
    Better and larger screen, with Gorilla Glass
    Lower profile; fits better under long sleeves
    Looks nicer on the wrist
    Has smart alarm for wake up
    Has one additional tile enabled vs. Gen 1
    Measures elevation for biking and running/hiking
    Has a number of subtle UI improvements vs. Gen 1
    kicks likes this.
    11-04-2015 04:37 PM
    Not everybody had the issues with Gen 1, but I did and got it replaced on warranty after 6.5 month of use. Mine had corrosion on the battery contact area, and was getting such that I couldn't get it to charge. A lot of people needed 2-3 replacements. There was speculation that the more salt a person had in their perspiration, the more corrosion issues they had.

That should be fixed in Band 2.

For me the Band 2 was a no-brainer:
    Appears to have addressed primary durability problems
    Better and larger screen, with Gorilla Glass
    Lower profile; fits better under long sleeves
    Looks nicer on the wrist
    Has smart alarm for wake up
    Has one additional tile enabled vs. Gen 1
    Measures elevation for biking and running/hiking
    Has a number of subtle UI improvements vs. Gen 1
    Thanks for the info. I sweat a lot during activity, so it sounds like I should just return the gen 1. I may still try it out to see if I like the interface in general. Then at least I'd have a comfort level with the band.
    11-04-2015 04:58 PM
    ... battery life has definitely improved.
    Interesting, that's the one area that seems to me to have been better on Band 1. I could get around two days on a Band 1 charge, but I'm running out just short of one day with Band 2. I've just turned my display to LOW, so I'm interested to see how that affects the battery life.

I agree with the rest of your assessment, Band 2 is a superior product.
    driedl likes this.
    11-04-2015 07:01 PM
    Thanks for all of the feedback. After wearing the band 1 for a couple of days, I've decided that I have to go with the band 2. Any slight twist of the band 1's clasp caused it to loosen on my wrist and that just isn't cool.
    11-06-2015 01:48 PM