Sleep Mode criteria for how it reports stuff?

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Sleep Mode criteria for how it reports stuff

Sleep mode on the B2 is interesting but I'd like to learn more about what it uses as criteria for making decisions on what it reports. For example, one night it told me I woke up 4 times. I have no memory of any of these 4 events. What "threshold" did I fall below for it to record that I woke up. Stuff like that. TIA

jtzako

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
First 3 nights I got from 86% to 93% efficiency and supposedly woke 6 times. However, I know it wasnt completely accurate because its time to fall asleep was way off, like more than 30 minutes off. I also dont believe I was actually asleep at any point during the last hour before the alarm.

Last night I managed to get 98% efficient sleep with only 1 wake up event. That one I know is wrong, I did feel fine thismorning but I actually woke up enough to see the clock in my room at least 3 times.

I think the problem is, it may be using movement to detect sleep vs awake. Some people move while sleeping, others dont move much while awake but lying in bed.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
From 7 months of use on the Band 1 and a week with Band 2, I don't think it always records sleep correctly, but it seems to be fairly close. When I have trouble falling asleep, it usually reflects that in my time to fall asleep, even if I try to lie very still. I have poor sleep efficiency and wake up often during the night, so I'm inclined to believe it when I don't remember waking up 15+ times because I know I did wake up multiple times.

The part that I feel is sometimes more inaccurate is when I wake up 30 minutes to an hour before my alarm sounds. Sometimes, I am pretty sure I have successfully fallen back to sleep while the Band records that I didn't get any additional sleep after that point.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I slept with Band 1 and I am now sleeping with Band 2 but don't have enough nights to make a distinction. In my experience it does accurately reflect when I wake during the night, for example if I wake a 2:00 am and look at the clock it shows this. There are times it shows me waking but I don't remember but that seems normal. What seems off to me is Band almost always says I have low sleep restoration. A couple of nights ago I slept almost 10 hours and only woke once during the night and it said I had low sleep restoration but I definitely felt well rested and refreshed. I assume it was because most of my sleep was light sleep but I don't know it determines light versus deep sleep.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday afternoon, I took a nap and turned on sleep tracking with the alarm set for 4:00 PM. I was awoken by a text message when my phone vibrated while sitting on my chest about 4:45. When I checked the sleep tracking results later, it showed I was in a "restful" sleep and awoke when my alarm went off at 4:00 and was awake for approximately 10 minutes before falling asleep again.

I do not remember waking up when that alarm went off, but apparently my body did something for the Band to detect that I was awake for a short while.

Last edited:

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I assume it was because most of my sleep was light sleep but I don't know it determines light versus deep sleep.

I have already gotten a good rating with 0 restful sleep, so it must be something other than that. I suspect it is a weighted scale.

So far I have recorded 9 sleep events. Out of those 9, I have had 1 optimal, 1 moderate, and 7 good. The one time I had a moderate rating:
  • I woke up 6x
  • slept for 5hr 49mins
  • 87% efficiency
The one time I had a good rating with 0 restful sleep, I:
  • slept for 7hrs 34mins
  • woke up 8x
  • 89% efficiency
The two are pretty similar with the biggest difference being duration. The one time I had an optimal rating, I had:
  • 1h 41mins of restful sleep
  • woke up 2x
  • 95% efficiency
  • total sleep duration was 6h 4 mins
Another time I had a good rating with:
  • 1hr 41m of restful (same as the optimal)
  • woke up 8x
  • 91% efficiency
  • total duration of 6h 41m
The primary difference there is the number of times I woke up, so I don't think you can look at any one thing when figuring out why your rating is what it is. At least in my case it seems to be the sum of everything. Ironically, the one and only time I got a moderate rating was the only night I didn't have a beer before I went to bed.

Snow Wight

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I will be interested to see if the Band 2 gives me different results to my present Band 1. Since release, I have had 4 x moderate nights and the rest 'poor'. Never anything higher despite 96-99% efficiency. I must be broken!

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Since B2 is much more comfortable to wear than B1, my deep/restful sleep increased immediately. The side batteries would get caught on my wrist while sleeping and would wake me up just enough to release then back to sleep - which probably interrupted my restful sleep. It showed that I woke up much less.

Of course if I didn't wear Band at all, I probably sleep better but, where's the fun in that.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa