Step Count Issues

Neville Briggs

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello
Had my band for just over a week now and I cant seem to get a "reasonably" accurate step count every time I check it seems to by way, just one example would be I have walked about 100 yds this morning and its registering 396 steps

I have tried resetting the device but no change has anyone else experienced this or any ideas for a solution
thanks

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
How accurate is your "100 yds"? Assuming you're just out walking, the step count should be reasonably accurate. However, it's computation of distance could be off since it's trying to guess your stride length.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I have been checking my step count with my wife's Fitbit Charge HR (she and I are about the same height and do about the same stride) and he found that the Microsoft Band 2 looks like it is about 20% - 30% lower than the Fitbit Charge HR. We have done the monitoring in a semi controlled fashion over a period of out 10 days now and over about 5 miles a day ( that's my wife's Fitbit Charge HR distance)

Has anybody else seen this issue? :angry:

Infinidim :cool:

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I have been checking my step count with my wife's Fitbit Charge HR (she and I are about the same height and do about the same stride) and he found that the Microsoft Band 2 looks like it is about 20% - 30% lower than the Fitbit Charge HR. We have done the monitoring in a semi controlled fashion over a period of out 10 days now and over about 5 miles a day ( that's my wife's Fitbit Charge HR distance)

Has anybody else seen this issue? :angry:

Infinidim :cool:

It's a fairly common complaint. There's a few threads about it on MS's site : http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/band/forum/msband2?tab=Threads

I've had the same experience. My non-professional opinion is that it is to do with arm swinging, or the lack thereof. If your arm isn't swinging, say because you are carrying something or holding onto something, then the Band doesn't detect any movement. I did a test on a treadmill yesterday; I walked half a mile while holding onto the treadmill handlebar and the Band counted zero steps. Once I let go of the handlebar it started counting.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
What's really too bad about all of this is that I really like the look of the band 2. I would really like to be able to have one but with all these problems, I just can't justify it. I've been looking at other fitness trackers but I want something that looks nice too, that's in color and not just black and white. Maybe in time they will do some updates to the software and the cost will come down. Maybe someone has some other ideas for me? I'm not a hard-core runner or anything, but I do light weight training and take 3 Zumba classes a week (but I need to be doing more!)

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
My polar loop is not that accurate for counting steps. I think about all the bands are :/

Some people seem to think the wrist is not a good place for detecting steps, maybe they're right. Something on the hip probably works better, but it limits usefulness, like no heart rate detection, sleep analysis etc. I guess you need to pick what you really want to know and go with an appropriate device.

jimmib

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
when I first got my band 2 I left the GPS on for the 1st walks I took and then turned it off and my step count has been within 20 steps of the Map my Walk app on my phone....I agree with the arm swing needed but after you move around a lot like mowing the lawn it will register steps....I am sure all of this is being looked at by MS and an update will be out soon to tweak problems

NBrookus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
My FitBit overcounted like crazy. The Band seems to undercount. If you are just trying to show progress, then either will work as long as you keep comparing metrics from the same device.

But do do the GPS training; it helps.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My FitBit overcounted like crazy.
That's what I've heard.

If you are just trying to show progress, then either will work as long as you keep comparing metrics from the same device.
Agreed. If you're trying to test the accuracy of a device, I think you really need to find a way to test real counts and not just compare devices. Perhaps a comparison with a hip mounted pedometer. But not with another wristband.

But do do the GPS training; it helps.
I don't think that changes the step count - just the distance computed from the steps.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My non-professional opinion is that it is to do with arm swinging, or the lack thereof. If your arm isn't swinging, say because you are carrying something or holding onto something, then the Band doesn't detect any movement.
Yes and no. If your arm is swinging, it WILL count. If it's not swinging because you are holding a shopping bag, it may take a bit, but I think it does count. I have found that if I'm holding my arm in a "L" shape and using my arm to clamp a folder to my body, it won't count. At least not while walking.

I walked half a mile while holding onto the treadmill handlebar and the Band counted zero steps.
Not surprising. Your hand was totally stationary. The band was only seeing a very small amount of motion. Maybe about as much as my using a keyboard.

My theory: The Band either has to see the arm swing, or it has to see the up/down motion with the arm hanging down. If the forearm is horizontal, then it needs to see a more "violent" action over a longer period of time suggesting jogging. Otherwise, it might have trouble telling a handshake from taking a few steps. (I have seen my Band "think" about steps. It seems to analyze motion and only if it's repeated enough times does it add in the steps. But it's able to remember how many have been taken and credit you for it's analysis portion.)

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes and no. If your arm is swinging, it WILL count. If it's not swinging because you are holding a shopping bag, it may take a bit, but I think it does count. I have found that if I'm holding my arm in a "L" shape and using my arm to clamp a folder to my body, it won't count. At least not while walking.

Not surprising. Your hand was totally stationary. The band was only seeing a very small amount of motion. Maybe about as much as my using a keyboard.

My theory: The Band either has to see the arm swing, or it has to see the up/down motion with the arm hanging down. If the forearm is horizontal, then it needs to see a more "violent" action over a longer period of time suggesting jogging. Otherwise, it might have trouble telling a handshake from taking a few steps. (I have seen my Band "think" about steps. It seems to analyze motion and only if it's repeated enough times does it add in the steps. But it's able to remember how many have been taken and credit you for it's analysis portion.)

Well I agree with your theory, it's pretty much what I've been saying too. I guess a hip-attached device is probably more accurate for step counting, although I agree with some other comments in the thread that Fitbit tends to over-count. I have a Zip which tends to count significantly more steps than the Band 2, but I don't know which is more accurate. So far today the Zip shows about 1700 more steps than the Band.

I installed an app called Band Monitor the other day which shows you the readings of each sensor in real time. Two of the outputs are movement counter and step pace (steps/min). If I walk as I described before, the movement counter increments but the step pace does not. So I guess it knows you are moving in some way but doesn't consider your movements to be steps. I installed the new firmware today so I'm curious to see if it makes any difference.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
With the latest update this has not fixed the step count. The Band 2 still also has the issue, where if you sit down for a while it doesn't start count for some time after you get up. Both these are so basic that it makes that Band 2 not as good as it should be.

Regards

Infinidim

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The Band 2 still also has the issue, where if you sit down for a while it doesn't start count for some time after you get up.
I think I've observed this with the Band 1 as well. But I think once it figured out I was walking, it added in the "missing" steps. So the "real time" number might be off, but it's fine for it's intended purpose.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I now have a case open with Microsoft Band 2 support raising the who issue of step counts, the Band 2 not starting to count steps immediately that you have got up from sitting down for a while and also I have found an issue of counting steps when "dancing". Let me explain the last one. - I do a lot of Rock'n'Roll and East Coast Swing dancing and I have noticed, even though there are a lot of steps with these dances, the Band 2 does not count them correctly. I have used both a Garmin as well as a Fitbit at the same time as the Band 2 and both count steps a lot better.

I am now waiting to see what Microsoft Band 2 development / support do to address these issues.

I have also talked to a few other people who have Band 2's in the UK and they are seeing similar issues with step counts to what has been raised here.

Can I make a suggestion that if you have seen the step count (low count numbers) issue that you raise a case with Microsoft Band 2 support.

The more we can put pressure on Microsoft to address the issues with the Band 2 the more likely they will fix it - hopefully.

Regards

Infinidim

kds

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
If your arm isn't swinging how is the Band (or any other device) supposed to know you are taking steps?

The accelerometer in my Fitbit Surge always counted steps when I was carrying boxes or pushing a shopping cart. It depends on how sensitive the accelerometer is and/or the algorithm it uses to detect steps.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I do a lot of Rock'n'Roll and East Coast Swing dancing and I have noticed, even though there are a lot of steps with these dances, the Band 2 does not count them correctly.

Keep in mind that measuring steps via forearm motion is tricky at best. It's case of consumer convenience trumping best practice. If you're doing anything with your arm that's not typical for walking, your results could be iffy.

Considering that you're dancing - not walking, I'll bet you're moving your arms in a way that "hides" the step or at least confuses it enough so that it can't count the step. You could put it in your pocket so it sees a more consistent motion. (Waist motion is much more straightforward.) I think others have indicated that B1 would count steps even if you weren't wearing it. However, in your case, I think I'd use an exercise mode to track the heart rate and not worry about the steps. In my book, "steps" are just to differentiate between couch potato and moving - heart rate is for measuring the workout. And for dance, I'd go with the latter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb