Band 2 on 10586.29 - anyone?

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Anyone using Band 2 with the latest 10586.29 insider preview?

Very interested to know if you can now perform tasks using Cortana on the band (e.g. 'play music', 'call someone', etc )

I'm missing that feature a lot on my 950.

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
well it looks like I should be able to answer this on my own in a little bit. I sure didn't expect .29 to roll out to non-insiders so fast.

Mister C1

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
My band2 hasn't connected to Health app since Sunday the day my 1020 updated to 10586.29, i've reset band and also removed and re-installed Microsoft Health app but app can't find my band even though i see it connected to bluetooth
:angry:

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
bah ... no improvement and took serious fiddling to get the band and the phone communicating to previous levels (no evidence that my fiddling is what fixed it, maybe it just randomly starts ~working). still cannot 'play music'. no me gusta.

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I am running 10586.29 on my Lumia 925 since Sunday and since the new Microsoft Health update 2.xxx I am able to use Cortana commands with it. However I do run into some difficulties:
- Band 2 battery seems to drain much faster then under WP8.1
- New emails show up on the band both on the Mail and the Notifications tile.

It's clear that it still is a beta product, but slowly we're getting there. Still I think Microsoft isn't doing a very nice job in their software experience. After a long time of following Apple as the leading innovative company, now Microsoft is taking over that position on hardware with the Surface Pro, Band 2, and ofcourse Hololens. But unfortunately, on the software side they are not able to keep up with their hardware developments. The software is way to buggy; Apple is in my opinion still leading here, with a long history of bugless software...

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
so 'play music' works for you, for sure?

I am able to do 'headlines', 'weather', 'tell me a joke', 'set reminder', 'set alarm', ... the type of commands that only depend on Cortana and not other apps. But if 'play music' really does work on W10 on the 925, that suggests a firmware problem on the 950/xl ... not encouraging.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Aren't the Cortana commands on the phone, the same as the band since it just passes the command to the phone? At least from what I noticed when it was actually working where the action button triggered Cortana on the phone

queentut16

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Aren't the Cortana commands on the phone, the same as the band since it just passes the command to the phone? At least from what I noticed when it was actually working where the action button triggered Cortana on the phone
Yes, the commands are the same. Everything looks identical except when sending the command from the Band, apps don't actually launch. Cortana says they are, but nothing happens.

DeNachtwacht

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I didn't try the Play sound command and unfortunately can't test it either because I don't have music om my phone.
What I use Cortana for is mainly for asking simple questions like "who is the inventor of the phone?" or "what's the weather today" or "how much is 250 euro in dollar" and all these kind of commands work fine. If the answer is too long to display on the Band, Cortana is being started on the phone and I don't get some kind of errors.

The only noticeable difference is that my band 2 battery is empty within about 24 hours, while on wp 8.1 it lasted about 36-40 hours.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a huge cortana user and it worked a few times from the band I was playing with it earlier... but now I'm always getting bluetooth can't find phone or something issue... though probably something up with the 950XL end.... weird cause everything else works, except for the occasional duplicated/delayed notification, but syncing seems fine.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I am running 10586.29 on my Lumia 925 since Sunday and since the new Microsoft Health update 2.xxx I am able to use Cortana commands with it. However I do run into some difficulties:
- Band 2 battery seems to drain much faster then under WP8.1
- New emails show up on the band both on the Mail and the Notifications tile.

It's clear that it still is a beta product, but slowly we're getting there. Still I think Microsoft isn't doing a very nice job in their software experience. After a long time of following Apple as the leading innovative company, now Microsoft is taking over that position on hardware with the Surface Pro, Band 2, and ofcourse Hololens. But unfortunately, on the software side they are not able to keep up with their hardware developments. The software is way to buggy; Apple is in my opinion still leading here, with a long history of bugless software...

On your W10 phone, you have to turn off notifications for outlook mail. Otherwise you get notifications for all email on your notifications tile, In addition to your Band's email notifications (VIP or all).

The upshot is you have to choose between no toast on your phone, or double toast on your band.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans