New update fix altimeter and HRM?

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
than my band is not working properly my surge is showing o floors and my Band2 is showing 27 climbed right now at 1:45pm

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi HomeBound12,

The barometer is just one of the sensors that we use to determine floors climbed. We also use our accelerometer to determine if the user is making motions that are typical of going up a flight of stairs, although I'm not sure exactly what filters our Algorithm team has in place.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Well this all sounds good but here in ft myers fl the weather has been the same for the last 2 weeks no bad or better weather just same old same old. I also have a fitbit surge and the stair climb has been right on when I go to the mall it registers flights climbed, and the barometric pressure has no effect on it. Only my band2 is doing this.

I highly doubt that the atmospheric pressure hasn't changed at all, even if you've had no rain.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I highly doubt that the atmospheric pressure changed 27 times by 1:45 pm and 61 changes by now at 11:16 that is really a little ridiculous and hard to believe.

insight3fl

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
why is nearly nobody complaining about the HRM? the reading of the heartrate is way worse on the band 2 than it was on the band 1. the average heartrate after sports is up to 10 beats. on band 1 it was about 1 or 2.
in the beginning of my sports the heartrate if off by up to 20 beats. it goes up very (way to) quick and stays there most of the time.

the floor counter is a cheap joke and nothing more than a random counter.

both the HRM and floor counter are annoying and nearly useless and if ms does not fix both, i will not buy a band 3.
I have been one of the ones complaining from day one. Mine is off over 40 BPM every time. I have posted several times on the MS community site as well. I called customer service and while the rep said "i guess you just want a refund", (I will have to travel 125 miles to the nearest store) he said I was the first one to complain.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
It has not fixed the altimeter I went up 1 flight of stairs at the gym this morning and it is registering 24 flights imagine that, I would not call that a fix. I had a fitbit surge previous and it was spot on with stairs all the time.
My fitbit always say I climbed 2000 stairs when I was supposedly sleeping. So I won't really count fitbit stairs accuracy

VFC

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
My fitbit always say I climbed 2000 stairs when I was supposedly sleeping. So I won't really count fitbit stairs accuracy

My FitBit Surge's stairs count is nearly 100% accurate. You must have a seriously defective one as FitBit uses both the altimeter and arm motion sensors for calculating stairs counts.

After using the Surge for nearly a year, I purchased a Band 2 mainly for the style and screen. However, the step count, stair count, HR, and calorie counts are very inaccurate. I wore both the Surge and the Band 2 for a couple weeks. I was so disappointed with the Band 2, I powered it off and stopped using it. As one example, my Surge had an accurate stair count of 19 by the end of the day. The Band 2 had registered 215 floors.

I did try the Band 2 again last week after the f/w update, but the accuracy problems are still there. So I'm back wearing my Surge.

Last edited:

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My stair count and HRM seems fairly accurate. At the end of the day the stair count is usually around 15-16 which is what I would expect given my daily activities. I've had the HRM go way higher than it should so I would like to see the accuracy of it fixed.

Nate Silver

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
My stair count and HRM seems fairly accurate. At the end of the day the stair count is usually around 15-16 which is what I would expect given my daily activities. I've had the HRM go way higher than it should so I would like to see the accuracy of it fixed.

Yes, stair count seems fairly accurate (as these things go), I haven't seen any wildly off the wall totals on that. There is definitely an issue with HR though. I haven't as yet been able to get any sense as to whether it is common to all examples, or only a few Bands, but mine will very often rapidly climb during the first 10 minutes or so of an activity. For instance, during the warm-up phase of an indoor cycling activity, I've had mine peak as high as 180, when my two strap type monitors and Mio Fuse optical monitor are all reading in the 95 to 100 range. Heck, my max HR is only around 160, and that's during a steep, long climb when I'm really pushing it. I've even gone so far as to stop pedaling, and can watch the hr continue to climb for some 30 seconds after stopping! Then suddenly, it will 'wake up' and rapidly go back down to where it should be. I've had to do this two or three times before it remains at the level it should be at. Usually, once it has settled down, it will behave for the rest of the activity (though not always), even for a duration of 2 hours or more.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
My FitBit Surge's stairs count is nearly 100% accurate. You must have a seriously defective one as FitBit uses both the altimeter and arm motion sensors for calculating stairs counts.

After using the Surge for nearly a year, I purchased a Band 2 mainly for the style and screen. However, the step count, stair count, HR, and calorie counts are very inaccurate. I wore both the Surge and the Band 2 for a couple weeks. I was so disappointed with the Band 2, I powered it off and stopped using it. As one example, my Surge had an accurate stair count of 19 by the end of the day. The Band 2 had registered 215 floors.

I did try the Band 2 again last week after the f/w update, but the accuracy problems are still there. So I'm back wearing my Surge.

I am not really sure if it was defect but one of my friend, who is only one know have a fitbit , also have this issue so I just assume it is common issue. Then I return it, and two weeks later Band 2 was announced to be released in Canada, so I just waited until the Band 2. So I only had a week of try of fitbit, therefore I can't really know which one is more accurate. Only based on my own experience and month of a friend.
But again, are you sure your Band 2 is not defect either?

snakies

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Round of golf on Sunday was terrible. Course data was corrupt and of course the swing count did not work either. I will try again but between the HR issue always off and the hit and miss golf app, these are the only two things that makes this a usable device for me other than any other smart watch. And now we early suckers are eating $50 on the new price reduction.

I noticed the swing count not working as well. It worked so well on the Band 1 and I was excited to play a round with my new Band 2. Pretty disappointing. I havent played since the update, but heres hoping they fixed stroke counting.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
devbent: seeing as you know so much about this altimeter why when I live in Florida no steep inclines, I have not climbed any stairs, I am retired so not real active but right now 4:15pm My Band 2 is showing 27 flights of stairs climbed and I have not gone any where and no stairs in my house. Most days my Band2 shows around 45 flights continually daily. This surely is not any where accurate.

I wouldn't be surprised that the massive barometric changes, in Florida, are part of the problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb