Obsolete after eight months

WharncliffeOwl

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I live in the UK. Band 1 came out here in April. I pre-ordered and mine arrived on day 1. By October, Band 2 was available. I could have traded up but would have needed to pay another ?140 which I could not justify to myself after just 6 months. This month Band 2 gets the Music player update but not Band 1. I feel cheated and quite frankly robbed. My Band 1 is now obviously obsolete after just 8 months.

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same, usually Microsoft tends to support things with software as long as the hardware is supported but sadly this doesn't seem to be the case. People are not going to go out and buy the Band 2 just because it has the ability to control your music. I really hope Microsoft brings this feature to the original Band.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I feel the opposite way. I got Band 1 just days before Band 2 was revealed officially at the October 6 event.

I still get all the function I was promised out of Band 1 and did not pay the extra that Band 2 cost...

Tech is like that. There is always a new version on the horizon. Before Band, I had a Pebble with the tacked on notification tie in that was buggy and would never get updated. A whole lot of Pebble functionality is missing with Windows Phone. Then is when I felt cheated. Band 1 fixed that for me.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I personally feel Band 1 should get some stuff. It may not be promised or anything, but its a nice perk. A big one.

erichyde43

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
People are mad that Band 2 is getting features that Band 1 is not. For 80 dollars, the Band 1 is awesome. But for those that paid 180 or so, they feel cheated by microsoft.

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
The Fitbit Surge got a major update in late September or early October 2015 and that was nearly a year after the early December 2014 launch.

The difference is that the Surge is still Fitbit's flagship device. The original Microsoft Band was superceded - nicer way of saying obsoleted - by the Band 2 less than a year after its launch.

Right now they probably want to move as many Band 2's as possible during the holiday shopping season so Band 2 is where their focus will be.

F27

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
It is atrocious that Microsoft are not bringing these new features to the first Band. As far as I can see the hardware is not all that different and the first one is more than capable of implementing the new functionality (how hard can it be to add music controls!). It never received even one major update other than the minor on screen keyboard one. I won't stop pestering them until they do because I wasn't about to pay to upgrade for 1 extra sensor!

The first Band in real terms hasn't been around all that long. Even Apple would support their first gen Watch for longer and this is what you get for supporting Microsoft buying arguably he most unpopular fitness wearable on the market, seriously hardly anyone buys them! Maybe they should have treated the people who decided to choose them better.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The Band 1 is still a viable wearable. Other than a minor charging issue, mine worked just fine. It tracked my steps, tracked my workouts, kept the time/date, provided notifications and alot more. As cheap as they are now, it would still be a great piece of tech.

WharncliffeOwl

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
When I pre-ordered Band 1 in April I fully expected that somewhere along the line there would be a Band 2, possibly within 12-18 months but not just 6 months later. I don't mind that Band 2 looks neater, sexier, has new features etc. whatever, but I do feel somewhat cast aside by Microsoft if they are pulling the plug on Band 1 (in terms of updates) after such a short period. Not very nice of Microsoft to take my money and run like this.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I do feel somewhat cast aside by Microsoft if they are pulling the plug on Band 1 (in terms of updates)...

Are they? I've not seen any official word that Band 1 will be EOLed. If anyone has a link I'd like to see it.

In terms of Band 2 getting updates which Band 1 did not receive, I expect that as normal. I'd be very surprised if Band 2 did not get tweaked after rollout.

WharncliffeOwl

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I did say IF they are pulling the plug on updates because that is how it seems to me ......that's all. I look forward to purchasing Band 3 next summer.

TwoClipz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
100% agree with you Owl.

I should have learned my lesson after my Surface RT, but like you said.... Band 3 wont be too far behind, so I'll just wait.

Rich215

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I dont feel cheated or taken advantage of at all with my Band 1. Currently just started using an android phone again after a year on Win 8.1 and Win10. It works pretty darn well with my Nexus 6, though a few features are not usable with android...but most are not of my normal band uses anyway. (i do miss keyboard reply's to texts), battery life is better with my N6 compared to Lumia Icon....maybe its the newer bluetooth version in the phone? I also do not seem to suffer from disconnects now with my N6.

I just think your making way to much out of this with the Band being the subject. If not...how the hell did you ever get by in life after you bought the Band 1 without a music control ability? Good lord just the thought of that....my my my......first world problems.

My band 1 does exactly the same thing it did over 7 months ago.....did not blow up or self ignite or stop working. I have exactly what I had when I purchased it...a working smartwatch/fitness device that I utilize through each day. Im happy. I can get almost 3 days out of a charge and if it breaks...i can get a new one for $75. Its a win win for me so far.

So to the OP............how is it your band 1 is obsolete? Because you didnt buy a Band 2 is the only way it could be considered I think. The only real way to not ever get any feeling of an electronic device being or becoming obsolete.....is to never buy one!

I did not expect to get updates for any amount of time.....no did I expect any major firmware upgrades, nor did I read anywhere that Microsoft would make any such claims. So...im not at all disenchanted or feel taken advantage of in anyway.

pepelepieux

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
It is a sad cheap move from Microsoft not to upgrade the Band 1.
Pushing music controls and smart alarms should not be an issue.

Most owners of the Band 1 are Microsoft fans.

Microsoft should treat better its loyal-customers-fans-guinea pigs.

The Band1 is not obsolete, but Microsoft sure knows how to make its fans feel obsolete.

Last edited:

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It is a sad cheap move from Microsoft not to upgrade the Band 1.
Pushing music controls and smart alarms should not be an issue.

Most owners of the Band 1 are Microsoft fans.

Microsoft should treat better its loyal-customers-fans-guinea pigs.

Hopefully if a future Band gets W10 IoT, older models going forward from that point will be able to benefit from future upgrades over a longer period of time but seriously these types of casual fitness devices typically have short life cycles anyway. Just think of it as a $200 toaster oven. :_)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven