Band 2 shuts off when next to work radio

Chris Pruc

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
I recently purchased a band 2 . When I wear it at work and turn my radio on it shuts off and I can't turn it on unless I plug it back into the charger .Ive been reading that other's are having an issue with it turning off and I'm thinking it might be because of some sort of interference from radio signals . Here's a videohttps://youtu.be/R9J78FLtnMY

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
When you say "radio" you're talking about a 2-way. IOW, it turns off when near a transmitter. (Not your basic a AM/FM type of radio.)

Interesting. Do you know what frequency band your HT works on?

I may have to take my tri-band ham radio to the Microsoft store.

Chris Pruc

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Ya it's a two way radio. Not sure what frequency it's on though. If u take a look at the video u can see that when I turn the radio on it just shuts the band off and the only way too turn it back on is to plug it in.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, weird. I did notice that my Lumia 920 would randomly reboot when on my desk at work, but never at home. I had thought some wireless signal was causing an issue.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I finally got around to visiting the Microsoft store. I was able to do the same thing to two of the demos. It wasn't real sensitive at 446MHz, but that may not be the most sensitive frequency. I also tried 223MHz and 145.52MHz, but no response.

When putting it back on the charger, I got a message like "Battery ran out. Reset time and date."

This could explain the folks that have it go dead and then when they revive it, they find there's plenty of battery left.

devbent

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I finally got around to visiting the Microsoft store. I was able to do the same thing to two of the demos. It wasn't real sensitive at 446MHz, but that may not be the most sensitive frequency. I also tried 223MHz and 145.52MHz, but no response.

When putting it back on the charger, I got a message like "Battery ran out. Reset time and date."

This could explain the folks that have it go dead and then when they revive it, they find there's plenty of battery left.

Nifty! What is the power output of your radio? If I'm understanding, 446Mhz was the frequency that shut the bands down, right?

Fascinating that 223Mhz did nothing!

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Nifty! What is the power output of your radio?
5W - typical of most Ham HTs. Keep in mind that many mobile and home base stations are 45-50W. However, I belive under the right conditions, up to 1.5KW can be allowed. And that's not counting military and other users.

If I'm understanding, 446Mhz was the frequency that shut the bands down, right?
Yes. I strongly suspect it's not the optimal frequency, but with enough effort, it's one that works. I'll have to go back and try a few other frequencies.

Fascinating that 223Mhz did nothing!
I suspect the issue is that the cable between the two halves is acting as an antenna. The wavelength of 223 is too long for that short of an antenna to be effective. However, if I can find a more optimal frequency, that may change. I was curious that I couldn't affect the "Large" band on display. It could be component tolerances, but I'm suspecting the longer "antenna" shifted the frequency away from what I was using.

Anyway, I'm seeing in other threads where users users are reporting the Band shuts down, but when revived shows plenty of battery left. This could be the explanation for some of them.

As for a fix - I don't know. My guess is that the RF creates noise on the battery voltage sense. Ideally, a bit of filtering (like a small capacitor) would fix the problem. I'm not sure if it can be fixed by re-checking the battery voltage before acting (software), but it might cut down the number of incidents "in the wild".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa