01-29-2016 01:48 PM
56 123
tools
    Hi there, great thread this is ! Enjoyed reading it and thought to chime in. I have my Band 2 now for a week (bought it via via as it is not available over here in The Netherlands) and must admit I am impressed by it on most points. I owe several of the "usual" suspects: fitbit charge HR, Garmin Vivosmart HR as well as a MioFuse. The Band 2 for sure has the best X factor of the lot. I think the screen is marvellous as is that part of the band. The clasp side is something I do not get: I just can not get a comfy feeling although I must admit I get used to it. But still, that bulky clasp part is something that could do from a rethinking. Some other thoughts:
    Stepcounting. I agree that the Band 2 probably underestimates the stepcount but on the other hand, comparing all above mentioned devices there is a huge range between them. The Mio has the lowest, the Fitbit the higest, and the band2 and Garmin somewhere in between. I tend to think that the Band and Garmin proably will be close the real count but then again, I never tested this with a foodpod or something similar.
    Battery. Yes, indeed.....just two days a short and should be better. A battery saver is one thing but the basis could be improved for sure. Other replies demonstrate several options and I ahev nothing to add.
    Waterproof. This is a tricky thing, I know, but being able to wear the Band 2 in the shower or whith a swim would be great. Not a huge issue but that is a great plus for the vivosmartHR.
    Sleep registration & heartrate monitoring. Like stepcounting, something that has a great variation between the devices. No clue which is closest to the reality. Only the Mio Fuse comes almost on par with a chest strap HRM and my primary use for teh Fuse is just for that: recording HR during running. How the other devices, incl the Band2 perform ? No clue. Most will perform pretty well over all but only the Mio will catch up with sudden HR changes as quick as the chest strap. None of the other catch up as fast so will not give a correct pulse duing intervals for instance. At least I do not count on them for that.
    GPS. As I wear the band 2 also as a fitness device, I have it on my wrist whilst running. However, after turning on GPS it takes just too long for the Band to lock on the satelite. Garmin is the fastest. Not sure if this could be improved by just a software update of needs some hardware upgrades ?
    As for apps, notifications: I like it as it is just for now. If I get a notification on my Band, I glance at it and if I think it is omportant enough I just grab my phone which is always within bluetooth range to respond. I found two apps to change the look and feel of my Band a bit which is just fine for me. I agree though that cross platform apps would be great with the addition of Band specific tiles. It can only get better !
    A remark on the social aspect. I agree on that one. On the other hand, here on WPC was a mentioning of inkin.com. Seems you can couple your fitbit, garmin as well as band to that so there is way to compete. Just signep up so will need some time to find out what it is.
    Dave47 likes this.
    01-03-2016 05:47 PM
    The Band 2 is inaccurate in tracking steps. I have the fitbit charge HR and I've been wearing both since I got the Band 2.

The Band 2 will only register steps if your arm is swinging. if you like to read holding a book, a tablet or your phone while walking it will register ZERO steps. if you have your hands in your pockets while walking, it will register ZERO steps. if you hold on to anything while walking (a handrail for example) it will register ZERO steps. anything less than an arm swing will not register.

as an all day activity tracker, steps are the most important feature, and it is a disappointment on the Band 2.

MS should add an option to adjust the sensitivity. for people who already walk a lot, they need the device to be really sensitive. for couch potatoes, they should set it to lower sensitivity.

I hope MS fixes this soon, as I really like the Band 2, and don't want to go back to the fitbit
    01-03-2016 11:52 PM
    Social integration is bound to happen at some point, but while we wait I recommend you to check out inkin .com !
    01-04-2016 07:52 AM
    This isn't entirely true. I just did a test around my office to test your theory. I counted 90 steps round trip to/from my destination. With my hands jammed in my pockets and my arms as rigid as possible, it registered 56 steps. Walking normally with my arms out it registered 92 steps. So there is some merit to your theory and I would agree they should have some way to adjust the sensitivity of some of the aspect contributing to the algorithm. However, to say it counts zero steps is false.

The Band 2 is inaccurate in tracking steps. I have the fitbit charge HR and I've been wearing both since I got the Band 2.

The Band 2 will only register steps if your arm is swinging. if you like to read holding a book, a tablet or your phone while walking it will register ZERO steps. if you have your hands in your pockets while walking, it will register ZERO steps. if you hold on to anything while walking (a handrail for example) it will register ZERO steps. anything less than an arm swing will not register.

as an all day activity tracker, steps are the most important feature, and it is a disappointment on the Band 2.

MS should add an option to adjust the sensitivity. for people who already walk a lot, they need the device to be really sensitive. for couch potatoes, they should set it to lower sensitivity.

I hope MS fixes this soon, as I really like the Band 2, and don't want to go back to the fitbit
    cmucodemonkey and James8561 like this.
    01-04-2016 10:42 AM
    Yes, in support of philxor's response, there is a good reason for under-estimation as there is the possibility of less false steps counted (think brushing teeth, shaving, combing your hair, etc).

For me the Fitbit One was off by 10 steps per 100, the Garmin Vivofit was literally spot on with steps - due mainly in part to being able to calibrate your own stride - and I have found that the MB 2 has a similar 10 step variance to the Fitbit One.
    This is kind of variance is not a big deal and besides, there is no gold standard for fitness trackers.
    01-04-2016 10:53 AM
    Both my Band 1 and Band 2 count less steps compared to my Fitbit Charge. My Bands average about 1500 steps less than the Charge. I find that the Charge is entirely too generous in awarding steps. It's annoying, except when I'm doing step challenges with friends. I have and wear the Charge only for the purpose of doing challenges with friends and family. It would be great if I could do challenges with the Band, including Fitbit users.

I feel that Fitbit is now the standard, despite being overly generous with steps. If any other tracker is significantly off, it will be judged as being inaccurate. It would be nice if we could adjust the step counting sensitivity.

Completely agree on the Health app UI. I've always felt it needed some work, especially the dashboard. The Fitbit app dashboard is much more pleasant and informative, despite only being slightly more info rich.

While we're putting things on the wish list, I'd love to see the Health app provide useful info on a live tile. For example, graph of weekly steps, calories, etc.
    01-04-2016 04:01 PM
    LOL at whining about the band not giving you steps for movement that IS NOT STEPS.
    Yes it is slightly conservative but not drastically.
    I did a 6 mile run simultaneously using my Band 2 and MapMyRun app on an android phone strapped to my arm to see the variances.
    When my Band 2 ticked across 6 miles worth of steps my Android phone running MapMyRun registered 6.2 miles.
    Which one is correct? Probably neither but a 2/10 mile difference in 6 miles is not huge.

Someone is whining that they cannot change the individual tile color in the Health app?? LOL seriously, like that is a selling factor.
    How many other apps (regardless of platform) dont let you change their color scheme????? (hint countless) I bet you use Facebook and dont whine about it.

The competition between friends would be nice but that can be achieved through the linked fitness app capabilities. You can link your band to more than a few supported fitness apps and those offer the competition between friends.

Not mentioned here but in another thread is the ability to control your camera with the Band 2.
    I would love a feature like this so when I am wanting to do a group picture I would be able to set the frame then go get in it and snap the picture off with a press of the screen on my Band.
    Snoke likes this.
    01-04-2016 05:24 PM
    I'm a Band 2 owner and I'm happy with it up to a point. Battery life isn't as good as Band 1 and that's a surprise to me. Overall though I'm pleased with it. I do agree with the point made about the ecosystem/community vs the likes of Fitbit. I cannot compete against my Fitbit wearing friends. The Fitbit website has fun challenges where people can join in and compete against each other. It's more about fun, community and bringing people together. There are about 8 people in my fitness club who wear Fitbits and their constant banter about their latest challenges has forced my hand into buying a cheap second hand Flex just to be able to join in. Aside from the Fitbits there are a number of Jawbone wearers at the club. I'm the only Band wearer and that's out of over 30 of us. It tells a tale.

Edit - Just spotted Tennis Guy's comments about competition through linked apps and websites. Don't you how many of my Fitbit wearing friends would be prepared to go through the argy bargy of all that when they're already very happy and amused by the challenges on Fitbit's own app. I was already aware of a site called Inkin which is for cross platform comparison, but it's getting everyone else to go along with you that's the problem. So I don't necessarily agree with that. I do however agree with most of his other comments :)
    01-05-2016 08:58 AM
    Steps are quite accurate while the Fitbit is really liberal.
    01-05-2016 09:00 AM
    Every one is going to have a different five. That's the one bummer about the closed firmware system of the band, we get what they give us.

That said, #1 on my list is that I wish they'd open up the microphone to non-Windows Phone users. I'd love to use it for OK Google, and I'd even consider using it for Cortana on Android.

Regarding battery saver, it's a poor substitute but if you flip on either Do Not Disturb or Airplane mode you get a massive increase in battery life. Obviously at the cost of reduced functionality, but I've used them on occasion when I'm away from the charger and low on juice.
    01-05-2016 06:08 PM
    I don't mind the conservative step counting. Going for a walk or run, or playing tennis is what I think should really count. But, some times I find that my band completely stops counting steps. I'll walk around for 15 minutes and the steps stop regestering. I have to turn the band off and on to make it count again.
    01-05-2016 11:16 PM
    Take a look at this for poor step counts
    At work phone in my pocket
    [ATTACH]null[/ATTACH]

Xmas party (on the dance floor)
    2016-01-06-06.13.49.jpg

The gap is not acceptable

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    01-06-2016 12:28 AM
    2016-01-06-06.17.28.jpg

01-06-2016 12:29 AM
    I think #1 on the list for Microsoft should be notification synchronization between phone and band.

If I clear a notification on one device it should clear the other. Doing double clears of notifications becomes old.

This should be a simple fix as well.
    01-06-2016 08:40 AM
    On the News the other day, Consumer Report, stated the band is working great, but has a problem
    with sinc.
    01-06-2016 08:43 AM
    I think #1 on the list for Microsoft should be notification synchronization between phone and band.

If I clear a notification on one device it should clear the other. Doing double clears of notifications becomes old.

Insanely complicated. :(

We've been trying, hard!

None of the major platforms were designed to have notifications be uniquely identifiable and marked "read" in a universal way. When those abilities have been added, they are not system wide, we'll get an API for just one or two types of notifications, so for example maybe on one platform we could mark SMSs as read, but nothing else.

We believe this experience would be very confusing for users, especially since it would be different per platform, so we left it out altogether.

It is one of the top wish list items we've had in since literally day 1.
    01-06-2016 12:27 PM
    I do agree with the point made about the ecosystem/community vs the likes of Fitbit. I cannot compete against my Fitbit wearing friends. The Fitbit website has fun challenges where people can join in and compete against each other. It's more about fun, community and bringing people together. There are about 8 people in my fitness club who wear Fitbits and their constant banter about their latest challenges has forced my hand into buying a cheap second hand Flex just to be able to join in. Aside from the Fitbits there are a number of Jawbone wearers at the club. I'm the only Band wearer and that's out of over 30 of us. It tells a tale.
    Someone said that history doesn't away repeat, but it frequently rhymes. Eons ago, before IBM clones were affordable, people generally bought computers their friends (or workplace) had. Their friends were their support groups. If you bought something else, you quickly found yourself "on the outside". I bought my first computer from someone who discovered that the hard way.

Victory doesn't go to the best - but to the biggest bandwagon.
    hamphlet likes this.
    01-06-2016 02:44 PM
    Someone said that history doesn't away repeat, but it frequently rhymes. Eons ago, before IBM clones were affordable, people generally bought computers their friends (or workplace) had. Their friends were their support groups. If you bought something else, you quickly found yourself "on the outside". I bought my first computer from someone who discovered that the hard way.

Victory doesn't go to the best - but to the biggest bandwagon.
    Agreed. It wasn't me who sold you that computer was it? Speaking now as an ex Atari XL, Atari XE and Atari ST owner.
    01-06-2016 02:54 PM
    Agreed. It wasn't me who sold you that computer was it? Speaking now as an ex Atari XL, Atari XE and Atari ST owner.
    No, it was a C-64. They guy's friends all had Apple II. He found out that having the same CPU chip wasn't close enough.

I should add that I'm not all that into friend challenge, and I was attracted to the HealthVault connection. I liked the idea of getting data to my doctor. I saw that matching with trends to individual healthcare. But at this point I'm not sure as ignoring the friend challenge is a wining formula.
    01-06-2016 03:44 PM
    Could be worse. You could have bought a Timex Sinclair.
    01-07-2016 11:38 AM
    I'm right with you. Had a few Ataris, starting with the 800. Had a Timex Sinclair at one point, after they got cheap. But the most impressive would have to be my Osborne 1!
    01-07-2016 10:43 PM
    Does anybody also have there phone sync up with the Microsoft health app as well as the band 2
    Microsoft states that the motion detector on our phone should fill in the gaps when you not wearing your band.
    Wouldn't/shouldn't it also fill in the gaps when the band misses your step. for example, short burst or when pushing a pushchair etc...

I do and I haven't really payed much attention to how the steps calculated on my phones motion detector and my band get added together.

I did notice once awhile back that the bands steps seem to just override my phones steps. for example
    for some reason all day the Microsoft health app had not syncd with my band and had only been syncing with my phones motion detector which was something like 10000 steps. I looked at my band which said I only walked 9500 steps then when I synced my band to the MH app the 10000 steps turned into 9500 steps.
    01-14-2016 06:07 PM
    My band "eats up" steps.. It is hard enough to get steps from the band as it is... But even the hard earned steps get deleted at times. Not sure whether the band or the phone app doing it. On daily basis I tend to see step count going from... For example 9457 suddenly it goes down to 9000.. I can't remember I am doing reverse walking.. Used to do that when I was 5 or 6 years old but don't do it these days..

01-15-2016 12:06 AM
    Take a look at this for poor step counts
    At work phone in my pocket
    Xmas party (on the dance floor)
    The gap is not acceptable
    Why are you assuming the phone is accurate?
    01-15-2016 08:56 AM

Not sure if its as simple as you think, but I agree, this would be a huge deal (for me at least). And not just between band and phone, all devices. I get the same reminder on band, my phone, and my desktop (and two there; one from the Calendar app, one from Outlook 2016).
    01-15-2016 08:58 AM
56 123