Charging time

demusss

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
How long should it take for the band to fully charge?

I have been reading on other posts/sites that a 20min charge should be enough for a day and that when the battery level is less than 50% it should be charging quicker.

I'm finding that it takes 1 minute to charge 1%.

Today I tested it, this is with band on but display off.
started at 8%
after 25mins reading 34% - increased by 26%
after 40mins reading 51% - increased by 43%
after 60mins reading 73% - increased by 65%
after 75mins reading 85% - increased by 77%
after 85mins reading 88% - increased by 85%
after 92mins reading 34% - increased by 88%
after 95mins reading 100% - increased by 92%

Is everyone else having the same experience. I'm using my Samsung Nexus 10 supply which has an output rating of 5V/2.0A

I'm going to try with the band switched off to see if that speeds anything up.

indiW

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I am not 100% sure, however my band tend to reach 99%(from low as 20%) relatively quicker but comparatively longer to jump from 99% to 100 %

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

willow007

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Yup. My bands does the same.

I'm wondering about the 2A. I thought this device only consumes around 150mA so that even the weakest source should charge it with the maximum speed

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
It's possible you need to fully charge the battery at least once for the charge controller chip to have a handle on the situation and allow fast charging.

VFC

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I charge my Band 2 every morning using the USB 3 port of my Dell laptop at work. Normally the charge is ~ 50% when I start. It takes about one hour to get it back to 99-100%.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I forgot to add, make sure it's not getting warm - like not putting it in direct sun or on something warm. A bit of airflow might help. Bottom line, if it's sensed that the battery is getting warm, the charge rate will be cut drastically.

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
This is my anecdotal observation - I haven't carefully timed it out - but I can get from roughly 30% to 100% in a around an hour. I have the Band 2 cable plugged into an Anker PowerPort +1 (supports QuickCharge 3). This is overkill, obviously, but I had the charger laying around unused. The Band 2 does not use the QuickCharge standard and obviously does not draw anywhere near the full power supplied by the charger.

demusss

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I had a chat with Microsoft support the other day. The outcome was basically it was charging correctly and also a little bit quicker due to the powerful supply.

Here's a couple of extracts from the chat.

Me: should it be quicker from 0 to 50% or is it a constant rate? I'm getting about 1% increase every minute.
Them: I have seen it change some bands will charge very quickly to 70% then stop and it will take up to two hours to reach 100% but on my personal band I find it goes slow up to about 50% or 60% then it will speed up to 100%.

Me: I took some timings last night
Me: started at 8%, after 25mins reading 34% - increased by 26%. After 40mins reading 51% - increased by 43%. After 60mins reading 73% - increased by 65%. After 75mins reading 85% - increased by 77%. After 85mins reading 88% - increased by 85%. After 92mins reading 34% - increased by 88%. After 95mins reading 100% - increased by 92%
Me: does these look correct?
Them: Yes it does look correct as it is taking roughly an hour to get to 70% then a further 30-40 minutes to reach 100%. How would you charge your band with the USB in a device or a socket?

Me: I'm using my nexus 10 power supply. Its rated at 5V/2.0A
Them: I have just double checked the stats of the power supply against our battery functions and the charging time you are receiving is correct. You are getting a slightly more powerful and quicker charger as it normally would take about 1.5 hours to charge your band and the average time would be 2 hours.
Me: ok good thank you for confirming it is charging correctly. I have seen posts with people saying that a 20 min charge whilst in the shower should give enough to last a day. clearly this is not the case
Them: No not at all, that may actually cause an issue with the band as they would not be leaving it to re-charge fully.
Them: You could maybe get a few hours from the band doing that, but it would not last too long with any of the function tiles running.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Battery charging any Li-ion goes though 2 or 3 stages. At lower percentage, it can do a faster charge. As it gets close to fully changed, it has to be more careful. Usually, this translates into slowing down. I think partly to make sure it doesn't over charge any one cell in the pack. When you overcharge a Li-ion, it becomes chemically unstable. AKA, explodes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12