Rubber strap splitting on Band2

JGtz

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Replaced my second Band 2 yesterday at Park Meadows MS Store in Colorado.
The Microsoft Employee said that they received a service ticket this week stating they can replace Bands with the ones they have in stock (previous band 2 that split for me I took it there and they shipped it off).

Also, he said MS has started manufacturing a new rubber strap for the band 2, that it's a shinier rubber and it's supposed to fix the rubber splitting. Unfortunately it's hard to tell if the ones on the shelf are the new ones. The one I got looks similar to the previous Band 2, my rubber is not "Shinier". Model number is still #1721 on my new band. Serial # starts with 03614....My previous version started with 0065....

Xoan Xose

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Add me to the list... Just took an hour form mine for the usual split one inch from screen to happen. Hopefully Amazon will refund the money with no issues (they tend to do that with swift returns), so disappointed, no way I'm getting another, it's clearly a bad recurring problem.

JJPJ

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
The bands are covered. Regardless of what Microsoft support states UK consumer law trumps this. However the liability lies with the supplier of the goods and not Microsoft. I would recommend that you collect the evidence and if the supplier doesn't give you satisfaction, take them to the small claims court and see how quickly they pay up.

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
My second Band 2 has now started to split after 2 months :( Exact same place as before. Only very minor at the moment but I wont be leaving it like I did last time as a small split causes a lot less issues when it comes to a no quibble replacement.

I really think it must be sleeping in the band which causes the issue for me. I wear it on my left wrist, screen facing down, and when I sleep I tend to put my left arm under the pillow under my head which might put pressure on the strap against the rigid metal part inside the strap (sort of squeezing the strap together). During normal daily use the strap isn't put under any pressure. Maybe it isn't this at all but it is poor design that is for sure.

I love the Band 2 (although recently the updates from notification centre are very sporadic) but I'm getting annoyed with the strap now. My wife's second Band 2 is holding up for now with no sign of splitting but i wonder how long it will be before we have to send her's off as well.

loko ino

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
And just now sending in my second Band 2 also. First one lasted something like 5 months flawlessly then the little split started and it quickly grew. This second one split in about a month and a half and it went quick. I don't do any hardcore workouts with this thing on so not sure what the heck is going on. This is just about as bad as the Fitbits were/are. The rubber material sucks.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
just sent mine in this weekend due to the strap cracking about 1" from the screen. have Complete care but was looking forward to using it in an upcoming 70+ mile bike ride......guess I am glad I found the crack now instead of it falling off during the ride.

MLMercer

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
My Band2 has been replaced twice since purchase in October for the splitting issue. 3-4 month lifespan does not seem like nearly long enough.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I had four replacements. Became a running joke at the local MS store. Band 2 was basically junk hardware (bad battery bad strap) with barely RC software(constant btooth probs).
I finally got store credit and will try Band 3.

jeremy taylor3

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
I only recently bought my band 2 and then started to read all of the horror stories around the band splitting. So.... I spoke to MS support who confirmed that the material has indeed been changed to reduce the likelihood of the band splitting. It applies the new bands(recent manufacture I think). From all of the posts I have read the problem does not seem to affect bands bought in April 2016 onwards. This, I know, doesn't help those with older bands but gives hope to those of us who have just invested in one.

TLJack64

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm literally on my 4th (yes Fourth) Band 2 because of this problem. I would be more annoyed than not, but since they're aware it's a known defect I'm able to walk into a Microsoft store and swap it out for a brand new one in less than 5 minutes every time it happens. I now own 4 Band 2 chargers which is a nice plus, and i was given the option of getting a full refund since they know it keeps happening. I'm going to politely decline until the Band 3 comes around :)

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm literally on my 4th (yes Fourth) Band 2 because of this problem. I would be more annoyed than not, but since they're aware it's a known defect I'm able to walk into a Microsoft store and swap it out for a brand new one in less than 5 minutes every time it happens. I now own 4 Band 2 chargers which is a nice plus, and i was given the option of getting a full refund since they know it keeps happening. I'm going to politely decline until the Band 3 comes around :)

I took the credit, so I can buy the new Band 3 for "free". The Band 2 was a total flop

DirtyStone

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Bought it on Nov. 19. 2015. Start to split a week ago and never weared since then.

Im from switzerland and bought it in the UK store. I love it, but i cant understand that a nearly 300$ "smartwach aka fitness band" is damaged so drastically after 6 months of using it once a week for running and sometimes on a bike.

Can someone help me to understand their warranties?
Hardware Warranty and Technical Warranty? Whats the difference?

Best regards DirtyStone

Attachments

• IMG_20160623_090059.jpg
    IMG_20160623_090059.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

DirtyStone

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Hey dudes
Finally, my Band is on the way to be replaced :) ! It took me 5h of my nerves and 3 different Support Chats to get to my goal.
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fen-us%2Fsupport%2Fcontact-us&token=hw2UCSf4
This is the official Microsoft Band Support Chat. Open there a Chat (in the operating hours) and explain them your problem. The Supporter there (very understandable and helpful) assured me that all products which are bought in the online shop have a 1 Year Technical Warranty. She also had made and sent me by mail an UPS-Sticker so that I only had to made a pick-up request for me.
I was sure, it was not the first time they heard about this "Strap splitting" thing?.
I wish you all good luck that your Band will be replaced! Please give me a feedback if it works by your Band.
Best regards
Christian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre