The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-07-2017 09:02 AM
312 ... 910111213
tools
    Add one more. Mine split yesterday. Bought it Jan 2016, so I feel like I got a longer run from mine than what I see on here. I took it to my Microsoft store this afternoon... They replaced it on the spot, no questions asked.
    I've had mine since before Christmas and the strap is fine. The only issue I have is the heart rate sensor is broken.
    09-27-2016 01:44 PM
    mine did this at about 6 months in. Replaced under complete no questions asked. Hope it doesn't happen again. Not sure if they'll have stock to replace it any longer :(
    10-04-2016 10:28 AM
    I've just started getting the split strap problem on my 2nd band, which was replaced direct by MS due to battery problem a few months ago.

I'd like to send it for replacement, but I cracked the screen a few months ago. It works perfectly and I've been happy to keep the band with cracked screen as that was down to me, but obviously I want to swap due to the strap issue. What do you think the chances are of me getting a replacement? Are MS likely to say no chance due to me cracking the screen, even though it works and now the strap is splitting?
    10-07-2016 05:22 AM
    I am on my 4th Band, counting the original purchase, in 11 months, another tear, I sent it in with over a month left on my warranty and Microsoft has refused to repair/replace it. I am so disappointed with this horrible inferior product. Their quality assurance team should be fired, or more so their engineering department responsible for this design needs to be replaced. So I understand it was an issue with the Band 1, and now with the Band 2. All I can do is shake my head in disgust. 2 months after buying the band, I got a tear, they sent me a refurbished piece of crap, which I had to send back and was sent another refurbished piece of crap ( buttons did not work, QC sucks too), and a few months later another tear, sent it in, they sent it back with a wadded up piece of paper, a dear customer letter that they send to everyone, telling me I damaged it and did not qualify for a repair. It is still working fine, but with the tear, and slowly getting bigger. I paid $250.00 for a new Band, and after 2 months, I was wearing a refurbished one. I would classify this as theft. I basically paid $250.00 for a used refurbished Band. No more MS products for me. Surely there is a way to repair the strap ones self? Any ideas anyone? Thanks to anyone who has an idea of how to repair, no thanks to Microsoft?
    10-16-2016 01:21 AM
    Well, I'll be sending in my Band 2 tomorrow to get my FOURTH band. All of them were because the damn rubber strap keeps cracking at the same spot. To date there's been no problems with the exchange process other than the annoyance of having to do it. Right now, I'm thinking this will be my last one until the Samsung Gear 3 ships.
    10-16-2016 11:53 PM
    Mine split down to the wiring after 3 months of wearing it and when I sent it in for warranty repair, it was returned with a message saying that "Damage by external cause." and would not be repaired or replaced. This was a nice product too bad you can't wear it because it will break.
    11-03-2016 12:36 PM
    Mine split down to the wiring after 3 months of wearing it and when I sent it in for warranty repair, it was returned with a message saying that "Damage by external cause." and would not be repaired or replaced. This was a nice product too bad you can't wear it because it will break.
    It's unfortunate that happened. If you have a MS store near you, I would take it in and I'm sure it will be replaced on the spot.
    11-03-2016 12:40 PM
    Hey guys,

sadly now my Band is starting to split too :(

Bought mine on 28th of November 2015 at Amazon UK.
    Does the band get replaced without any issues by MS Support?

I'm from Germany so I guess I have to send my Band 2, where I had to send my Band 1 two times due to it not charging anymore^^
    11-07-2016 01:47 PM
    hey guys, i had same problem with mine after about 7 months of wearing. I am from Brazil, so i have no microsoft support near me. I could not accepted that I would lost my band 2 due to this factory problem. So I found a solution for this **** problem. I use windshield glue. It is a rubberized black glue of polyurethane, after it dries, the color is almost the same of the wristband. I am really optimist with the result. I still have to do a finishing, I will sanding a little and then post the final result.
    ichthyosaurus likes this.
    12-05-2016 06:47 AM
    My wife's band has split again in the same way as previously and mine has now stopped holding a charge. Now sending them back for another service repair. This time unfortunately it seems like the web support method of requesting a service repair is no longer available so I had to contact customer support directly.

I think this will be my fifth band and my wife's fourth in 11 months of ownership, all issues have been either strap splitting issues or battery :(

I think the warranty will expire soon so this will probably the last replacement available. I really like having the Band 2 but I am now thinking that it isn't fit for purpose as it breaks once every 2/3 months so might attempt to contact the Microsoft UK Store where they were both purchased for a refund.
    12-05-2016 08:02 AM
    I like the first Band so much but it started falling apart after a year (somewhat expected). I purchased the Band 2 on 8-16-2016 with the hopes that they resolved some of the durability issues of previous version. Unfortunately, I noticed it split in the common area documented in this thread but on both sides after I came back from a ski trip this weekend. I am wondering if the rubber has difficult in temperature/humidity changes as this is the first week where temps have fallen far below freezing and my lips are splitting as well. The split is where the metal components of the main housing meets the really flexy parts of the rubber.

See Attachment win_20161208_15_01_20_pro.jpg

I did an online chat and referenced this thread. It appears that support is well rehearsed in the issue and are following a script. However, it also appears they are running out of stock of replacements. The tech mentioned that MS might be sending me a refund check instead of a replacement. I will provide a follow up when I receive an update from the warranty repair shop.
    12-08-2016 04:12 PM
    Are people sitting on these things? Mine is still going strong.
    12-09-2016 05:06 AM
    My second band split last week in the same place as the first (and as reported on this thread). It is 11 months old and therefore still under warranty. I've been through the MS Band support wizard and cannot submit it like before. The end of the wizard is only now reporting 'There are no service offers associated with selected problem/accessory type.'

What to do?
    12-21-2016 08:10 AM
    Use online customer support chat to request a warranty repair instead. I had to do this for my Band and my wife's after discovering the online process was no longer available. It worked exactly the same as before but this time initiated by a customer support representative rather than automatically. This time I had a battery issue with my Band 2 and my wife had the split band. We both got a prompt replacement brand new boxed band.
    12-21-2016 08:38 AM
    My third band just started splitting and I'll be making a trip to the MS store this week to hopefully get a refund. I really like the Band and feel it's still the best option for me.
    12-21-2016 08:43 AM
    Thanks - I did that, and got an online chat with support person who booked the Band in for a repair and sent through the return labels. He did mention that they are running low on stock and may need to provide a refund in place of a repair.
    12-21-2016 09:06 AM
    I'm hoping I can get a refund as well if I keep getting problems like this. I think I am on my 5th Band 2 now and my wife is on her 4th or 5th (I loose track). They are great in all other ways apart from the strap issues and occasional terminal battery issues (won't hold a charge or just goes completely dead). My Band comes out of warranty early next year but if I have more problems I guess I may have to speak to the online MS store in the UK where I got mine and my wife's Bands and see what they are willing to do as it just isn't fit for purpose if it breaks (and breaks in a way which is covered under warranty) every 3 months :(
    12-21-2016 09:10 AM
    So, I passed mine to my wife. It's a little over a year old. She uses it for fitness and working out. So today, the band split when she put it on.

Has there been any type of recall on these, or as it's just out of warranty, it's trash and replace type thing ?
    12-31-2016 09:50 AM
    So, I passed mine to my wife. It's a little over a year old. She uses it for fitness and working out. So today, the band split when she put it on.

Has there been any type of recall on these, or as it's just out of warranty, it's trash and replace type thing ?
    Since you've had it over a year, you're probably out of warranty but check online anyway. If you're still within your warranty period, take it to a MS store if you have one near by. They will replace it if they have one or, from what I've read here, refund or provide a store credit if not. If you don't have a MS store near by, contact MS support via chat and see about getting it sent back in and they may replace it or offer a refund. Again this is all depending if you are within your warranty period.

BTW, MS has stopped making the band.
    Last edited by IamDefiler; 01-05-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    12-31-2016 09:57 AM
    Are people sitting on these things? Mine is still going strong.
    I guess I need to stop doing over-the-top stuff like fitness with my fitness tracker.

I guess in that case a class action suit is in order for advertising a device that wasn't meant for fitness...for fitness.

If MS just made the bad replaceable, that would be less of a hassle. This is why the device is discontinued. It's another RROD fiasco that's causing MS a bundle. The more they sell the more money they lose.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    01-03-2017 11:18 AM
    Well here is a kicker. My wife and I both have Band2s and absolutely love them. I bought accidental damage on them for some reason, which proved to be blindly insightful. On mine the battery stopped charging and i sent it in for repair and it was replaced in about three days. Good job MSFT. But about a week later my wife's band split much like the ones I see in this thread. So I sent hers in for repair on 11/15/16. After almost 2 months with no word I finally got through to a rep (took 3 days) who confessed up to me that they stopped manufacturing and can use the current inventory for replacement on repairs. Apparently they now plan to just issue refunds for broken ones when there is no inventory for the replacement.

For a company that overall makes great products MSFT might have the worst marketing organization on the planet. They had the tablet years ahead of anyone else and could not effectively market it. They had the mobile phone years ahead of the smart phone and could not sell it. Finally they got the Surface right, but cannot yet extend the product line without damaging that brand because of issues like this.

A real mystery why such a great company continually fails at this aspect of their business.
    01-04-2017 01:18 PM
    Since you've had it over a year, you're probably out of warranty but check online anyway. If your still within your warranty period, take it to a MS store if you have one near by. They will replace it if they have one or, from what I've read here, refund or provide a store credit if not. If you don't have a MS store near by, contact MS support via chat and see about getting it sent back in and they may replace it or offer a refund. Again this is all depending if you are within your warranty period.

BTW, MS has stopped making the band.
    So, let's say I am out of warranty 100%.... Can these be glued or a taped on them to hold them together so they continue working or is this just a trash and buy a new something else ?
    01-04-2017 06:46 PM
    So, figuring my Band 2 was out of warranty, got it for Xmas a year ago, I figured I'd call Microsoft and ask to see if it was still under warranty (with this band splitting issue), well to my SHOCK, it still has 3 days warrany on it...(ending 1/7/2017) and they gave me a return slip to ship it 2nd day back to them for repair/replacement.

I was told they swap them out and if they are not in stock, they will issue a refund. I put a message in the package that I would take a small or medium if they are available (I gave my Medium to my wife and a small would fit her better).

Did anyone get a "refund" on these ? They said they only refund the lowest price on them, I paid $200 for mine, if they dont have them in stock am I going to end up with a check for $75 ?
    01-05-2017 12:24 PM
    Anyone take their cracked strap apart? I did that on mine and I'm trying to figure out of the small, flat ribbon cable can be replaced (this is the part that cracked on mine)... anyone have any knowledge of this type of little part?

Thanks...
    -m
    01-06-2017 06:15 PM
    So, let's say I am out of warranty 100%.... Can these be glued or a taped on them to hold them together so they continue working or is this just a trash and buy a new something else ?
    Mine's out of warranty too, and started to split. I wrapped it in electrical tape; hopefully that will hold it together.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    01-09-2017 12:49 PM
312 ... 910111213